Age matter?Am I too old?

excessknowledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been practicing for years.At young age I took on the resposibility of a family and did what was right.Yes I spent alot of time around the tables in the local poolrooms but not the time I would have liked to.I am a young 40ish now and semi retired (I worked very hard my life) and have a little more time then before.This is a 2 part question.First question.If I get a table and practice very hard everyday and become alot better what is the age limit to become a real pro and second what would be the correct path to go for this.How do I get my ducks in a line to do this?What would be the right way to go about this?Am I too old?

Muxy

Unleash The Fury
Silver Member
Pool does have the highest world championship average at the age of 35.

I wouldn't know if you were too old depends how good you want to become.

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm over 40 and have only been playing seriously for two years. I am already getting in the money in small local tournaments.

I live in a small town with not-so-good players. Recently I started playing in tournaments in a larger city which has *very* good players. I was frequently 2 and out (lost my first two matches). Then I started winning a game here and there.

The other night I finished 4th (in the "very good player" tournament). I also beat a guy who is a *really* good player. I NEVER thought I would ever be able to win a match against someone like that! At least not so soon.

(I've finished 1st a few times in "not-so-good player" tournaments.)

Anyway I have been practicing and steadily improving and am over 40. Getting my own table helped a lot. I can do things like jump and masse' shots which are not allowed elsewhere. Also I can draw lines on my table or whatever. I can experiment. The thing which has helped me the most is reading internet pool forums like this one and asking questions.

So I am proof you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
Muxy said:
Pool does have the highest world championship average at the age of 35.
I think the PGA tour would have something to say about that (because it also includes the Senior tour). Possibly the NBA, Chess, and Boxing too. I'd like to see it in print somewhere. Those cycling guys are up there in age too.

Last edited:

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
excessknowledge said:
I have been practicing for years.At young age I took on the resposibility of a family and did what was right.Yes I spent alot of time around the tables in the local poolrooms but not the time I would have liked to.I am a young 40ish now and semi retired (I worked very hard my life) and have a little more time then before.This is a 2 part question.First question.If I get a table and practice very hard everyday and become alot better what is the age limit to become a real pro and second what would be the correct path to go for this.How do I get my ducks in a line to do this?What would be the right way to go about this?Am I too old?

Lets be realistic, I won't try to bring you down or pump you up. 40 something isn't to old to become a good player or better. Being top quality player however takes a ton of desire and commitment.

Lets not forget the motor functions are just not as tuned as when your younger. Eye sight very well may become a factor as well. Other than that your set to go. You should have an instructor, or mentor might be even better in your area. You'll have to do the foot work and inquire within because you will need some help if you want to get better at a fast pace.

All good players have spent litterally thousands of hours, matching up, playing in tournaments and just practice. I don't know how well you play now but it's a long ride to reach your destination and your not getting any younger. Up's and downs all along the way, It just depends on what carriage takes you there and your attitude along the way.

Rod

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Muxy, that it depends on what your expectations are. Do you want to play and be competetive in local tournaments? Do you want to be a traveling pro?

I would say that you should get your own table and practice, practice and then practice some more but first you have to spend some time watching in person some good pros playing and then take what you learn and practice. Also, you need to play other people all the time in tournaments or any other type of competition such as gambling cheap sets just to get in the competetive play.

Good luck!! I'm 55 and am retiring this coming Thursday and I plan to do just about the same thing. I have played quite a bit over the last 20 years or so. Now I'm going to spend a whole lot more time playing pool competetively.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at that age you need a few things going for you..................talent, instructor/mentor, unlimited time at the table(8+hours a day)...........and an ass pocket full of money to get you where you need to be. you still need all this when you're young.........but your age magnifies the need for all of these right now.

you don't have the luxury of taking 15 years to learn your way through trial and error to become an lower level open player, and then tweak your game from there. you have to get everything right the FIRST time.

i don't know what you mean by "alot of time around the tables" but i'd venture to say that if you're asking these questions, its not even close enough amount of time to make you close to an open player...........so.........get crackin............like rodd said, you aint gettin any younger.

VAP

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just remember how good Mike Lebron played after he retired. He was older than his early 40's too.

You'll know fairly soon if you have a chance or not. If you're not winning local tournaments after 1 year of playing, you will probably have to lower your expectations.

excessknowledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realise it is earned goal.I appriciate the input and had the same thoughts on the situation.I am an optomist and also a realist.I will try the local events and see where that goes.This will be the first time in my life I will be working hard at something I love.If I do not get where I desire to be then I had a great time on the way.I will save this post and 1 year from today repost it and we will see what the outcome was.

excessknowledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vonn31 said:
I think the PGA tour would have something to say about that (because it also includes the Senior tour). Possibly the NBA, Chess, and Boxing too. I'd like to see it in print somewhere. Those cycling guys are up there in age too.

How old are the seniors for the seniors tour?

JrockJustin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I admire your dedication...

excessknowledge said:
I have been practicing for years.At young age I took on the resposibility of a family and did what was right.

I would just like to say that I admire your dedication to your family. My belief pertaining to your situation is that you already have a disclipined mind-set. Therefore, this mind-set will carry over and with your love/dedication for pool there should nothing in your way to stop you from acheiving your goal. Never use your age as an excuse but rather consider it as an asset. Knowledge is power so put your wisdom into play...

I wish you all the good luck in the world and look forward to hearing about your progress...

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
excessknowledge said:
I have been practicing for years.At young age I took on the resposibility of a family and did what was right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for this.How do I get my ducks in a line to do this?What would be the right way to go about this?Am I too old?

i'll be honest in the kindest way i know. just enjoy the game and forget about this "becoming a pro" business.

two reasons......
one IS, in fact, your age. sigel said you start to lose it at mid 30's....you haven't even started yet(so to speak) and you're not efren.
two is that if you have to ask, it's not in you.

enjoy the game,,,enjoy its beauty,,,enjoy the competition and the people you will meet. and don't let frustration of not meeting your lofty expectations frustrate you. in fact, look back at your progress over the years and know you did the best you could.

Last edited:

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
excessknowledge said:

I'm 59 and have been playing seriously maybe 5 years. I'm still working fulltime for the forseeable future, but my kids are grown and I found myself finally able to spend some time on pool. I like to think I'm an okay 'C' player now and that does represent a big improvement.
IMO youth ALWAYS is an advantage in anything requiring any degree of physical performance. That said, I don't think it is hopeless for you, only very difficult. Forty is not that old really, but you'll be going up against 25 year olds some of who already have 10 years experience and 35 year olds that may have 20 years experience. That is where the rub lies, you have to cram 15 years of experience into 5 years or less. To do what you want to do will take natural talent and incredible dedication. You will improve rapidly at first just based upon table time, but it will obviously get tougher to get better the more you improve. On the other hand, starting late you're not burned out like a lot of other 40 year olds who have been playing since their youth.
I say go for it, what have you got to lose. Maybe lose a little face if you fail, big deal, enjoy the ride.

I'd say the first thing you need do is find a very good instructor which I've found is not an easy thing to do. I found it easy to find a lot of compentent instructors who can take you through the fundamentals (sort of), but if you like to read you can get all that from some good books and videos. What I found difficult to find was somebody who could spot what I am doing wrong in my execution and tell me what to do to correct it. Dont' worry if he's a jerk, just worry about whether or not he can teach you.

You must know the old saying ... "How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice!".

Best of luck.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
excessknowledge said:
I realise it is earned goal.I appriciate the input and had the same thoughts on the situation.I am an optomist and also a realist.I will try the local events and see where that goes.This will be the first time in my life I will be working hard at something I love.If I do not get where I desire to be then I had a great time on the way.I will save this post and 1 year from today repost it and we will see what the outcome was.

GET HELP!!!!!!!

I'll guarantee your stroke is not good. Your stance, bridge, grip, eye pattern, and everything else is probably in need of improvement and you can't see yourself doing what you are doing.

Get youself to a professional teacher who can see you doing what you are doing and who knows how to help you start doing things right.

You'll improve much quicker if you get help.

I"m 62. I started when I was 13, played until I was 17 then stopped and played only about 10 times in the next 40 years.

I started playing again about 5 years ago and I thought I did things right but improvement came very slow...even with a home table and lots of practice.

Then I got some help from some real teachers (which was NOT inexpensive!), found out that most everything I was doing was NOT how it is supposed to be done and changed everything!

Now I play pretty decent...after 5 years work and about 250,000 practice shots potted..and I have the practice logs to prove it. I can play with the better players in this hick burg of 31k folks. I"m good enough that I don't embarass myself very often and I know when I play that I'll give my opponent a pretty good tussle. That makes it fun..... just knowing that I can be dangerous.

But you must GET HELP if you really want to be a decent player.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
excessknowledge said:

BCA Hall of Famer Joe Balsis virtually all of his pro titles at the age of 40 or greater.

jjinfla

Banned
Yes. and Yes.

All you can do is pick your battles. And like Bruin said, if you have to ask then you have no chance. you either are a pro or you aren't.

Jake

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
excessknowledge said:
How old are the seniors for the seniors tour?

Minimum age is 50. But there is no "Senior Tour". Mizerak usually has one event a year, and occasionally Grady has put one together. As I recall, back in the early '90's they had a 5 or 6 event tour, but it didn't last. I wish there WERE more senior events, since I'm age 60!

Getting serious at age 40 does not allow you enough time to become an accomplished professional. However you can take your game to a higher level and enjoy many years of tournament play and back room action.

Good luck!

Doc

BazookaJoe

Destroyer of stickers
Silver Member
Try it!!!!!
All you can do to find out is try.
Don't ask this bunch of negative jackasses.
TRY
Sounds like you have the money to travel a little.
Get a game together, hit a couple of big events, and see how you do.

"Game begins to deteriorate in the mid 30's"
BULLSHIT!