Alternative to 2000 grit sandpaper

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
imperial lapping film from 3m is the same stuff that those commercially branded red/white/blue papers. you can get a nice polish with the really fine stuff, but the blue paper is all you need.

i have micromesh up to 8000 because it reuses better. however, after the first time, you really don't need to sand anymore....just buff the shaft with a terry cloth towel OFTEN and it'll be like glass.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
bruin70 said:
imperial lapping film from 3m is the same stuff that those commercially branded red/white/blue papers. you can get a nice polish with the really fine stuff, but the blue paper is all you need.

i have micromesh up to 8000 because it reuses better. however, after the first time, you really don't need to sand anymore....just buff the shaft with a terry cloth towel OFTEN and it'll be like glass.

Same here. Thanks for the links.

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Well, I

am cheap ... LOL

Clean with Kroger 'Orange'.
Polish with 'Pledge'.
==> Usually do this every 2 weeks, and/or before every major tournament.

Use quality leather burnisher inbetween that I bought, and originally coming from Jack Justis, the casemaker.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
am cheap ... LOL

Clean with Kroger 'Orange'.
Polish with 'Pledge'.
==> Usually do this every 2 weeks, and/or before every major tournament.

Use quality leather burnisher inbetween that I bought, and originally coming from Jack Justis, the casemaker.

i'm surprised. waxy buildup for one...but mainly(just from using pledge on furniture), there's a slick but slight grab that i would think gets worse when your hands get dirty??

bomber

Jeopardy Is My Road Game
Silver Member
Mr. Clean magic eraser is my favorite thing in the world to clean a shaft. It is non abrasive and will leave your shaft squeaky clean...just like you took it to the pro shop. If you dont believe me...give it a try...they are super cheap. Just run the eraser under water and then squeeze the excess water out. Then rub up and down on the shaft (boy does that sound dirty.) When I am done cleaning, I will seal the shaft with a leather patch or dollar bill.

Catahula

I said "SIT!"
Silver Member
I'm with Bomber...

that Magic Eraser made a believer out of me. The shafts on my old Palmer hadn't seen daylight in years. The Eraser really did a number on them (although I did use Isopropyl Alcohol instead of h2o).

Bastian

Sleepy
Silver Member
Magic Eraser and 91% alcohol gets my vote every time.. I only pull out the papers after raising a ding or after accidentally getting the rubber off the corner of a gold crown on the shaft.

Sensation

right there
Silver Member
Don't wanna clean! Wanna finish (like glass..)

OK OK guuys...

I allready know all of that stuff. The 2000+ grit sandpaper is to use after a daily cleaning with denatured alcohol / lighter fluid. I'm just tired to have to get another piece out everytime. It can be cleaned with a white plastic eraser but it's not the same afterwards.

I also use pledge and found out it's a fantastic alternative to other slickers. It's cheap, easy to use/find, fast, holds up a long training session (6-8 hours).

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Sensation said:
OK OK guuys...

I allready know all of that stuff. The 2000+ grit sandpaper is to use after a daily cleaning with denatured alcohol / lighter fluid. I'm just tired to have to get another piece out everytime. It can be cleaned with a white plastic eraser but it's not the same afterwards.

I also use pledge and found out it's a fantastic alternative to other slickers. It's cheap, easy to use/find, fast, holds up a long training session (6-8 hours).
I have a friend who uses pledge on his shafts and he swears by it and it makes sense since it's made for use on wood. I use a used piece of 1500 sand paper to lightly buff my shaft if it gets a little sticky. I never sand any wood off my shafts if I can help it.

wolfgun

Wolfgun
Silver Member
Microfinishing film

I have a bunch of 4 1/4" x 4 1/2", 9 micron, 3M Microfinishing film. It's about 1800 to 2000 grit. If anybody is interested, it goes for 65 cents a sheet. I think I'd have to send at least 10 at a time, or it wouldn't be worth it. I could trim them to 4", then they'd fit into an envelope and shipping would be a 41 cent stamp. Let me know if you're interested. Wolf

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Sensation said:
OK OK guuys...

I allready know all of that stuff. The 2000+ grit sandpaper is to use after a daily cleaning with denatured alcohol / lighter fluid. I'm just tired to have to get another piece out everytime.

Like someone already said, paper is pretty close to 2000 grit. Use a brown paper bag.

Dave

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
wolfgun said:
I have a bunch of 4 1/4" x 4 1/2", 9 micron, 3M Microfinishing film. It's about 1800 to 2000 grit. If anybody is interested, it goes for 65 cents a sheet. I think I'd have to send at least 10 at a time, or it wouldn't be worth it. I could trim them to 4", then they'd fit into an envelope and shipping would be a 41 cent stamp. Let me know if you're interested. Wolf

What color is that 9 micronSM microfinishng film? Do you have a part number?
Thanks,
JoeyA

wolfgun

Wolfgun
Silver Member
color

The sheets are packed 25/bag. It is 3M #268L, aluminum oxide, 9 micron, does not have PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) backing. The color of the printing on the sheets is blue. Wolf

This is the "film", not paper.

Last edited:

Sensation

right there
Silver Member
wolfgun said:
The sheets are packed 25/bag. It is 3M #268L, aluminum oxide, 9 micron, does not have PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) backing. The color of the printing on the sheets is blue. Wolf

This is the "film", not paper.
Are they washable? Reusable?

wolfgun

Wolfgun
Silver Member
Are they washable? Reusable?

They are like a plastic sheet. 3 mil. polyester, so they're way more durable than paper. They would definitely be reusable. As to washable? They are waterproof because its solid polyester, but I think if you flicked it a couple of times on the back with your finger, it would clean out the dust just fine. I sell industrial tools and I stock this for one of my customers who manufactures industrial knives. He needs to have a specific microfinish on a part. The parts are made of high grade tool steel. The sheets hold up real good for him. Wolf