Aluminum Cues, anyone?

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Back in the 60's when I first took up the game I acquired two new aluminum cues, played a few years, then stored them away for 35 years. When I came back to the game 3 years ago I learned metal didn't replace wood in pool like it did in golf equipment over the years, so it was time to invest in some wood. If anybody's interested in a bulletproof, weatherproof, warp-proof player, collection piece, or just a conversation piece, they're both for sale. The blue one is a True-Cue, made in Pittsburgh PA, 19oz. The Gold one is more of a snooker size shaft at 11mm, made by Apollo of England, also 19 oz. Both are in nice shape, with only minor blemishes, and fresh layered tips when they came out of retirement. Paypal is OK,or USPS money order. $27.50 each or $50 for both including US shipping.

Attachments

• Tru Cue.jpg
    Tru Cue.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 304
  • True Cue II.JPG
    True Cue II.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Apollo Cue.JPG
    Apollo Cue.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 226
  • Apollo Cue II.JPG
    Apollo Cue II.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

obrien714

Pool Video Addict
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
funny

grandparents had a pool table. those cues were awful.. bad memories. they did unscrew it for the short wall shots.

cheers.

Last edited:

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
SupaFoo said:
Haha wow, didn't know they existed - cool!

Good luck with your sale!

When they came out in the 60's they were hi-tech, just the same as fibreglass and graphite is to the kids today. No more warping and always a smooth finish. They actually don't hit bad, as long as you're not obsessed with low deflection.
Bill

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
deflection

You mean, they have a good amount of deflection? I would think that these metal cues, if they were hollow inside, wouldn't deflect at all. I would also think they would make good break sticks. Almost too powerful. I would think the metal and paint would start to come off or 'splinter' over time.

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I will take them. I used to use one at the VFW when I was a little kid. Hit like crap as I recall. I will add them to my collection. Let me know where to send payment. Chris.

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
my take on deflection properties

In comparing to a standard maple shaft, the aluminum tapered tubing is stiffer, so there's less flex of the shaft. Also the tubing end is capped at the tip end, so there's some additional weight in the part of the shaft where a LD shaft, such as a Predator tries to be as light as possible. I remember well my first trip to the table with my new McDermott about two years ago. I had been playing with my aluminum cues for about 6 months after I got back at the table following a 30 year sabbatical. I cleanly missed the OB when I would attempt a very thin cut with outside english. At the time I didn't know why. Later, as I learned more about the game, the science of deflection explained why I was missing. Oddly enough , I had the same problem recently when I switched to a Joss. The Joss shaft had more flex than the McD, so it took a little getting used to on a shot with a lot of sidespin.
Bill