Anyone had any experience using Champion Mercury ultra cloth

ar86

Have a Dynamo 7ft getting ready to redo felt going to order the MU and new rails pre-covered. Thanks for the responses.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I LOVE it. Very very slow
I disagree. If it's installed properly, it's plenty quick. Especially on a 7 foot table, which is where its usually is used. Will never be as fast as Sim 760, but on par with 860... maybe very slightly slower.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to say is it worth saving a couple bucks but somonis is up to about $260 for a 7 footer!! If your on a budget and money matters I can see you looking to save $150 for your home table as I found this on sale for like $126 right now.
The current table I have I’m playing championship tournament cloth because I couldn’t seem to get somonis at the time and I’m fine with It. It wears and plays well. I always thought they had good products.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree. If it's installed properly, it's plenty quick. Especially on a 7 foot table, which is where its usually is used. Will never be as fast as Sim 760, but on par with 860... maybe very slightly slower.
I agree with you and do you really need 760 on a 7 foot table? Not for my taste.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you and do you really need 760 on a 7 foot table? Not for my taste.
Absolutely not! That would be insanely fast! I just used 760 as a speed comparison.
760 on a 9' table Is almost too fast. On a 10' table it might be about right.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely not! That would be insanely fast! I just used 760 as a speed comparison.
760 on a 9' table Is almost too fast. On a 10' table it might be about right.
760 is too fast on any table imo. It is ok(on 9/10fts) in really humid places that would normally make 860 too slow. For big table 860HR(or ANDY988) is pretty tough to beat. For bar-boxes 860 is ok but anything faster is just too fast. MUltra is good cloth at a great price. Very affordable for bars/clubs with multiple tables. Can get a little slow in humid areas. Big deal, hit it harder. ;)

Last edited:

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mercury It doesn't hold up....It plays kindof funny imo. Really nice when new and clean and played in a bit. But it gets dirty really quick. Slows way down....loosens up. English hooks up really good on it tho...so you'll be over spining everything u hit unless you play on it all the time.

Champ tour edition costs double or whatever but it's twice as good if u ask me so it's worth it. Tour edition is a very neutral playing cloth. U won't have complaints. Someone said it doesn't hold up....I disagree with that. Tour edition 30-30 holds up very well....arguably the best wearing cloth u can get. I dont recommend mercury to anyone that has customers that play seriously. They will stop playing on your tables.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mercury It doesn't hold up....It plays kindof funny imo. Really nice when new and clean and played in a bit. But it gets dirty really quick. Slows way down....loosens up. English hooks up really good on it tho...so you'll be over spining everything u hit unless you play on it all the time.

Champ tour edition costs double or whatever but it's twice as good if u ask me so it's worth it. Tour edition is a very neutral playing cloth. U won't have complaints. Someone said it doesn't hold up....I disagree with that. Tour edition 30-30 holds up very well....arguably the best wearing cloth u can get. I dont recommend mercury to anyone that has customers that play seriously. They will stop playing on your tables.
Not true in my area. If properly installed, I guarantee it won't loosen up. Obviously the installer either didn't know what they were doing, or just didn't give a shat. If you do your diligence and do a stretch index, you won't have a problem.

Gets dirty quick? Explain to me how it will get dirty any faster then any other cloth. I'm guessing there is zero maintenance. Vacuum once in a while.

Does it compare to Tour Edition? No way. But the price for Ultra can't be beat for what you are getting.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not true in my area. If properly installed, I guarantee it won't loosen up. Obviously the installer either didn't know what they were doing, or just didn't give a shat. If you do your diligence and do a stretch index, you won't have a problem.

Gets dirty quick? Explain to me how it will get dirty any faster then any other cloth. I'm guessing there is zero maintenance. Vacuum once in a while.

Does it compare to Tour Edition? No way. But the price for Ultra can't be beat for what you are getting.
I believe the nap holds more dirt chalk.
..whatever..in than other cloths. I also believe it loosens up in humid conditions. I know room owners that cheaped out and used it. It didn't hold up. People complained About the way it played. Trust me it was installed correctly.

Also u just said yourself it doesn't compare to tour edition. So if you have a home table or a club with three or four table. Just spend the money for the better product. Especially If your tables are your business.

I can understand why tournaments use it. In town for a week and gone. 50-80 tables

(Nobody wants a 30$ steak that's tuff and full of gristle. Keep selling it and u won't be in business long...give people garbage they wont buy...if your product is good....they dont mind paying a little more)

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the nap holds more dirt chalk.
..whatever..in than other cloths. I also believe it loosens up in humid conditions. I know room owners that cheaped out and used it. It didn't hold up. People complained About the way it played. Trust me it was installed correctly.

Also u just said yourself it doesn't compare to tour edition. So if you have a home table or a club with three or four table. Just spend the money for the better product. Especially If your tables are your business.

I can understand why tournaments use it. In town for a week and gone. 50-80 tables

(Nobody wants a 30$ steak that's tuff and full of gristle. Keep selling it and u won't be in business long...give people garbage they wont buy...if your product is good....they dont mind paying a little more)
You must be thinking of another cloth. Ultra doesn't have a nap to it. And I again state if it's coming loose, the installer is at fault... not the cloth.

Joe P.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I had my original 30-30 on the table for 10 years, playing every day. Cannot find anything better in my opinion

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must be thinking of another cloth. Ultra doesn't have a nap to it. And I again state if it's coming loose, the installer is at fault... not the cloth.
Well shucks. Anyone got a good closeup picture of ultra?

Pretty sure I just played on the stuff at the Midwest Championships. I dont think they were using championship Titan. It sure wasn't tour edition. * Mercury Ultra is Titan cloth shaved down to the thread, so it's basically the same cloth. It is not worsted.
Yea it has a nap. And yea it gets loose. Why anyone would use it for a home table and not just spend 150$ more to get the good stuff is beyond me.

I get using the stuff in a tavern where the table gets beat to hell spilled on whatever. Nobody really plays the table is just kindof there . But I assume if your posting here your serious about your pool. Don't use the stuff

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well shucks. Anyone got a good closeup picture of ultra?

Pretty sure I just played on the stuff at the Midwest Championships. I dont think they were using championship Titan. It sure wasn't tour edition. * Mercury Ultra is Titan cloth shaved down to the thread, so it's basically the same cloth. It is not worsted.
Yea it has a nap. And yea it gets loose. Why anyone would use it for a home table and not just spend 150$ more to get the good stuff is beyond me.

I get using the stuff in a tavern where the table gets beat to hell spilled on whatever. Nobody really plays the table is just kindof there . But I assume if your posting here your serious about your pool. Don't use the stuff
I'll get a pic of the American Legion table. It has ultra on it. I think I play there on Wednesday. That cloth is at least 3 years old.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andy is pretty good stuff. Becoming more popular. Not sure wich version I play on. Way better than merc ultra