APA Regionals...

rope_one

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got back from a great weekend of singles play with the APA regionals for my area. I didn't qualify for Vegas this year, but it was a great time and some the players from my area did, which is always nice to see. Plus winning a couple mini's always makes the weekend more fun.

Anyway I was suprised at the level of talent in the 8 ball 7's bracket and the 9 ball 9's bracket. Both Bobby McGrath and Brian Gregg where there. Granted I wasn't in that bracket, but that seemed like really stiff competition for amateur players. Just wondered if other people see similiar competition in their area?

Skywlker

Registered
i was there this weekend and John Waynes is a great place maybe a little over priced but its alright and i couldnt believe when Bobby Mcgrath went two and out in the 9 ball tournament and Brian Gregg didnt win either tournament with Bobby winning the 8ball board he was on

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our regionals had one SL9 and one SL8 for 9 ball. I am not 100% sure who won.

I played well in 9 ball but unfortunatly finished 3rd-4th. Played semi-decent in 8 ball and happened to win! (go me!)

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I don't think either one of them should be allowed to play APA. They are both 'known' pro-ability players, and in places like Derby City, get down with the best in the country. They were more likely both chumming in this tournament, trying to hustle some of the better amateurs (which is why they would lose).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Skywlker said:
i was there this weekend and John Waynes is a great place maybe a little over priced but its alright and i couldnt believe when Bobby Mcgrath went two and out in the 9 ball tournament and Brian Gregg didnt win either tournament with Bobby winning the 8ball board he was on

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Personally, I don't think either one of them should be allowed to play APA. They are both 'known' pro-ability players, and in places like Derby City, get down with the best in the country. They were more likely both chumming in this tournament, trying to hustle some of the better amateurs (which is why they would lose).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
Does the APA disallow pro-speed players? I browsed their website and didn't see any rules about this. Also, I think you are being generous to Bobby by calling him pro speed. He's a strong player, no doubt, but a pro? I haven't seen it. Maybe I am the target of the hustle you are talking about, I guess.

rope_one

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott,

I don't think they were chumming, since they both ended up running into each other before the finals (that is one way the ranked brackets do work very well :) ). Anyway I agree with you opinion that they are probably too skilled to be playing in an amatuer event, and I was very suprised to see them there.

Anyway on the plus side their 8 ball match was fun to watch. That was one match I made sure not to miss. It funny hearing people making the occasional comment all weeknd about bad rolls, equipment etc, yet these guys never seemed to have that come up on the same tables.

Either way it was a weekend of great fun, friends and contsant pool. I can't wait for the next one.

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Congratulations Bobby M.

Scott Lee said:
They were more likely both chumming in this tournament, trying to hustle some of the better amateurs (which is why they would lose).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
From what I was told, there was a pretty strong field at this event so this scenario is unlikely. Bobby beat Brian both times in 8 ball from what I was told. 9 ball, I have not heard about.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
I play league for the hall that Bobby works at (and plays out of), and I was surprised to hear about the 9 ball...He took down the VNEA title last year in 9 ball. Good to see he's going to Vegas for 8 ball though. Bobby is a pretty strong player, but I wouldn't say he is PRO speed. Don't get me wrong, he has that gear in him, but doesn't catch it all that often (JMO).

Skywlker

Registered
and yes the apa does disallow pro's as one example is Judex James is not allowed to play in apa.... for bobby to play our league operator had to get him approved though the apa national office which i know they had to fill some paperwork and so on before he could even play in the league

rope_one

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heres the question that no one is really answering, is the level of talent in the upper bracket at this regional indicitive of other regionals across the country or is more of an anomoly?

soulcatcher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rope_one said:
Heres the question that no one is really answering, is the level of talent in the upper bracket at this regional indicitive of other regionals across the country or is more of an anomoly?

This is not the "Norm", but it depends on the area you play. Some areas are bigger cities and just naturally have more talent. But you can also have the occasional player in a smaller franchise area that is that good. In our area, we only had 6 players in the 6-9 9 ball. Myself(7), one other 7 and four 8s. The 9s that do occasionally qualify in our area are not top players, just good players that any of the other players can beat on the right days.

MBTaylor

Banned
I think it all depends. Here in Baltimore, we have a lot people ranked 7-9.

A lot of them don't shoot in the singles events and if they did, would be going to Vegas EVERY year. For many of them, they just enjoy going out and drinking beer, shooting some pool, drinking some beer, hanging out with friends, and drinking some beer.

Bankin-B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
First of all, I have never in my life played in a pro pool tourn. I have three kids and work 50 hours a week and go to school. Ive dedicated alot of years to the ameteur leagues to be able not to play. Well lets see I didn't win either event, that's strange, but I sure gave it a good effort. I would like to send a special thanks out to John Scoonfield for his time an effort to hold such an event. and congratulate Tim A. for winning the nineball and to all the other winners. As for Bobby Mgrath. I cant speek for his conditions cause I dont know. I can't understand why someone would say I was trying to hustle the better Ameteur player's because I do remember I Helped about 4 people players out in some bank instructions for free. I don't play pool to make a living. I wonder if someone would have one If they would be saying these things.

Last edited:

Flettir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you go to the APA web site they do talk about pro's playing and give a definition.
It is not about the speed of the player but about how they earn a living. If less they 50% of their income is from pool they are not considered to be pro's no matter how good they are.
If they start winning pro tourny's they will be ousted.

johnnydub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
D_Lewis said:
Our regionals had one SL9 and one SL8 for 9 ball. I am not 100% sure who won.

I played well in 9 ball but unfortunatly finished 3rd-4th. Played semi-decent in 8 ball and happened to win! (go me!)

who were the SL9 and SL8 players?

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Bankin-B, don't worry about the nay-sayers...3 kids and a fulltime(+) job, and you still play at a high level - I commend you. Although I've yet to meet you, it sounds like you're a really good guy (helping out other players and such). I woulda liked to have seen your matches against Bobby....maybe next year. Again, forget some of the negative comments being hurled your way, and keep up the good play.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Pro speed guys playing in the APA...have they NO shame? OOPPPS I forgot we're taking pool players here. Johnnyt

hippiepool

Banned
Bumpin .....

B-Dog ...I was about to jump in here before I saw your post ...don't you guys make a hippie have to get hypical , tripical , and downright redicable ...

can't wait till you visit here , maybe I'll give ya a few pointers .....:D

heres a link to the cruise I'm working aboard the first week of April ...

http://www.atasteofhealth.org

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnnyt said:
Pro speed guys playing in the APA...have they NO shame?/QUOTE]

Dang, I'm a SL5 in APA, yet a D- rating at my local nine nine ball tournament.

:rolleyes:

I don't think that if I was rolling up against either of these two guys mentioned I would stand much of a chance.

And that's what a handicap system is about.

So I guess the don't really belong, IMO.

Bankin-B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
trustyrusty said:
Bankin-B, don't worry about the nay-sayers...3 kids and a fulltime(+) job, and you still play at a high level - I commend you. Although I've yet to meet you, it sounds like you're a really good guy (helping out other players and such). I woulda liked to have seen your matches against Bobby....maybe next year. Again, forget some of the negative comments being hurled your way, and keep up the good play.
Thanks alot, maybe someday I will be able to meet you. Bobby played good, he is a very good player. I have alot of respect for Bobby.