I seriously doubt that is just be the compressibility of the cloth !!
1) the roll back phenomena do not happen when red-dot is on top.
2) If it is the the compressibility of the cloth, the cloth is either too loose or not good.
3) It been observed and confirmed by other players:
a: The ball barely pass the red dot and roll back in plays.
b: The ball with lot of side-spin makes unusual curvature path with red dot near top.
c: Balls with little side spin wobbled when red-dot near top .
Fellow players: please feedback your experience and thoughts.
Here is our experience at our private club that has 4 sets of balls(all Aramith Pro Cup sets) that get a lot of use;
All the sets roll perfectly when they are new. Once the glossy finish has worn off all bets are off including the phenomena that has been described.
1. balls should be replaced regularly
2. if not don't order measle balls
3. but then you're playing with non-regulation size balls (61.5)