AZB/DCC room

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Derby City was wonderful again. But I've got to relate a funny story to you all. I arrive at the DCC on Thursday around 1:30PM. My flights got me out of bed at 4AM and I was a little tired but still excited to be there. I head directly for the AZB room and sign up for one of the tables. The guy on table two introduces himself to me as George and wants to play some 9 ball $10 each game. As I'm racking he suggests 1-pocket and I agree, preferring that to 9 ball.

Now I should have seen the light when he goes 8 and out the first game but he's talking about it like it's never happened before. I'm playing real bad and haven't adjusted to the tables and this George guy is playing pretty good but again I'm missing some shots that I normally make and losing the cue ball. I'm getting frustrated and then Jeanette Lee walks in and starts playing on the table next to us. So now I'm not even concentrating on what I'm doing. $70 later I tell George, my new best friend, that I've had enough. George is very gracious in victory and whenever I see him after that he?s quick to say hello. What I find out later is that George is a professional trick shot artist.

I guess I did just fall off the turnip truck. I got Hustled with a capital H. My hats off to you George. I'm guessing that he didn't have to pay the $25 room fee instead gaining entry on the "pro" list. Next time just ask me for the money and save me the frustration. I'd have felt better giving the money to someone like "pots and pans" instead of a professional player.

Paul Mon

Last edited:

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you were unscrewing you could've said "F-----g flip for it!"
;)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1 Pocket Ghost said:
Paul, What exactly was this guy's name - do you know ?

There use to be a guy named George Middleditch, or something like that, that did trick shots. I think he'd be an older gent by now. Use to wear glasses.

Lou Figueroa

JOEY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol, now thats funny.

hi paul, this is joey....the young guy that was with george, watching you guys play. i thought you were aware of who he was the whole time you were playing. i remember him telling you a story where he said that he used to be in the artistic pool arena. i also remember you dogging some shots that would have given you the cheese. anyways, it was nice meeting you, maybe ill see ya again next year. the first ones on me.
joey

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JOEY said:
hi paul, this is joey....the young guy that was with george, watching you guys play. i thought you were aware of who he was the whole time you were playing. i remember him telling you a story where he said that he used to be in the artistic pool arena. i also remember you dogging some shots that would have given you the cheese. anyways, it was nice meeting you, maybe ill see ya again next year. the first ones on me.
joey

It was nice meeting you to. It is too true that I dogged many shots. The best being the last game when I had to pinch draw the cue ball and scooped it off the table and nearly hit Jeanette Lee. That table took me a while to get used to. BTW, by Saturday I was playing much better. Actually won the Q-skills challange and ran a 9 and out playing 1-pocket on the same table. I honestly don't remember George talking about any artistic pool. I purposely didn't mention his last name in my initial post, not wanting to hurt his action.

JOEY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no harm done

paul, george doesnt play much anymore. he only plays once a year in vegas, so he rarely plays for any cash. he was at my house in september and he said that he hasnt picked up a cue since may, i dont think hes picked one up since he was at my house. he was gonna play in the tourney, but decided not to because of no practice. we played a few sets of 9ball, and i won 2 of them, and im a c player.
take care,
joey

JohnInNH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re: Dcc

Hi Paul,

I think that I was playing on the other table when this was going on, too bad you didn't joing me, it wouldnt' have cost you anything.

Regards,

John

Michael-Hoang

Omega Billiards
Silver Member
It sounds like George Middleditch from Michigan. He is probably in his late fifties, well dressed, wears glasses. He used to compete in the Trick-Shot competition. Very funny guy.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Michael-Hoang said:
It sounds like George Middleditch from Michigan. He is probably in his late fifties, well dressed, wears glasses. He used to compete in the Trick-Shot competition. Very funny guy.
George was definitely in and out of the AZ/1P room several times, so most likely it was him...

JOEY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it was george!

yeah, george is from grand rapids michigan. he will be 72yrs old in May.
joey