Barry in court

T

Tanya

Anyone know how court went to day for Barry??? I hope all went well and he and his family can move on and make the Open the success it deserves to be for many years to come.
Good Luck Barry !!!

T

Tanya

thanks Brianna i looked at the paper last night but i guess they hadn't updated it yet.
Keep your chin up Barry, and stop with the dirty tests. Old perscriptions or not get straight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Pool World needs people like you to run quality tournaments

joe marra

Registered
Judge sends billards promoter off to jail
By CINDY CLAYTON, The Virginian-Pilot
© October 11, 2003 | Last updated 10:27 PM Oct. 10

CHESAPEAKE -- A judge found billiards promoter Barry S. Behrman guilty Friday of violating probation a second time since his conviction last year on illegal gambling charges.

Behrman was sentenced to six months in jail, but will receive credit for the 72 days he has served since his arrest in July.

``Mr. Behrman abused the court,'' Circuit Judge Bruce H. Kushner said during Friday's hearing. ``He took advantage of the court assisting him in making a living. He thinks he can hustle the world.''

Last month, Kushner allowed Behrman to leave jail temporarily so that he could preside over the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships at the Chesapeake Conference Center. Behrman returned to jail the day after the tournament ended.

Kushner said he was releasing the billiards promoter last month because the tournament was the ``principal time of year when Mr. Behrman can make a living.''

See the complete Pilot, exactly as in print
- View stories, photos and ads
- E-mail clippings
- Print copies

Email this Page
Print this Page
Get Email Newsletters

But the tournament took place during the week that Hurricane Isabel swept through Hampton Roads. Behrman told Kushner on Friday that he lost $50,000.

Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney D.J. Hansen told the judge that Behrman had failed drug testing during the tournament. Behrman had told his probation officer that he had used prescription drugs that were a year old, Hansen said.

Since he was given probation last year, Behrman has been under court order to take regular drug tests, which he has failed several times, according to court records. He also has failed to complete drug rehabilitation, court records show.

Behrman will be on probation again when he is released, and if he fails a drug test, Kushner said, he will be sent to prison to serve about six years that were suspended when he was convicted last year of running an illegal gambling operation, illegally selling alcohol and failing to file a certificate for a business license.

Authorities charged Behrman with running illegal gambling parties in his $625,000 home on Audubon Circle in the Warrington Hall subdivision.

Behrman told Kushner Friday that he has had to sell the house and now is in trouble with the Internal Revenue Service.

Court records show that the IRS filed a lien against Behrman, seeking $18,416.26 in unpaid quarterly taxes in connection with his business, Q-Master Billiards in Virginia Beach. The paperwork, filed in Chesapeake Circuit Court in July, shows that the lien is for the tax period ending in September 2002.

City records show that Behrman also owes a little more than $2,000 in taxes to the city of Chesapeake.

Next week, Behrman is scheduled to appear in Virginia Beach General District Court on a charge that he failed to pay business taxes to that city in June for the billiards hall on Princess Anne Road.

Virginia Beach authorities said that Behrman sent a check for the taxes, but it bounced. He paid the taxes later, but still must appear in court Oct. 14.

Behrman was convicted in December in Virginia Beach of two misdemeanors for failing to pay more than $60,000 in back taxes and fees related to the billiards hall. He later paid his bill in full, authorities confirmed.

jjinfla

Banned
Gee, when it rains it pours. Maybe the time in jail will help him and save his life. Who knows. It sure helped Gov. Bush's daughter. And now we are finding out just how dangerous and addicting prescription drugs really are with Rush Limbough's revelation. Over 9 million people are addicted to prescription drugs. And the History channel did a life story of former President John Kennedy and said he was addicted to prescription drugs and had he been re-elected he probably would have died during his term.

Those of you who smoke, are addicted to those cancer sticks, and can't quit, have a little idea of what a person who is addicted to prescription drugs goes through. So before you all castigate Berhman for his problem take a good look at yourself in the mirror.

Jake---my first words when I came out of surgery was "GIVE ME MORPHINE". Thankfully, I was talking into my doctor's bad ear.