Best Cue Selection in Southern California: Where?

jjohnson

Registered
I'm thinking about getting a new cue stick. But I have to see and hold it before I buy. So I need a dealer in Southern California close. I live in Irvine, CA in Orange County.

I have a Schon SL-6 I bought in 2001. I would consider just a shaft or two.

I am a little skittish because I think a guy tried to sell me a fake Schon shaft a few years back.

No mail orders.

I sure hope I don't have to go all the way to the CSI Expo in Las Vegas in Feb.

Thanks.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking about getting a new cue stick. But I have to see and hold it before I buy. So I need a dealer in Southern California close. I live in Irvine, CA in Orange County.

I am a little skittish because I think a guy tried to sell me a fake Schon shaft a few years back.

No mail orders.

Thanks.
J&J Cues, Santa Fe Springs, CA. Not a retail store but they sell to the public. Great selection and customer service and hard to beat their prices. They’ve been in the business for a long time. Just not sure if you’ll be able to hold it before purchasing. JJcue.com

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you like wood shafts for your Schon, get a Jacoby Ultra, incredable shafts.
If you would like to try a carbon shaft, try a Rhino. I just got one and its the first carbon shaft that I can easily go back and forth from the Jacoby Ultra to carbon without any noticeable difference in feel or hit.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The days of brick and mortar retailer stocking in large scale are done, sorry.

Have an idea about what you want, buy from an established retailer and know its return policy and how it might apply to you.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great selection and customer service

Not in my experience. They failed to honor the following which is posted on their website:

We guarantee our cues are straight and all of our products are free of defects. This guarantee applies to defects in parts or workmanship only and does not cover used or abused merchandises. If you receive any of our products and you think there are defects, please contact us immediately. You may request an exchange, a full credit, or refund. We also have a price guarantee and a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.

Last edited:

JPB2

No mail orders.

Thanks.
I visited California Billiards in Chula Vista looking for carom stuff a while back. Good place. Their website lists plenty of pool cues. It’s a drive for you but closer than Vegas.

brunswick1901

No mail orders.

Thanks.
I'm in Los Angeles and I am selling my cue collection. I have off brands to one of a kind collectables. If you would like I can meet you at a pool room in Orange County.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d post a thread on Az saying you have this much to spend & “if anyone has a cue they’d sell that meets the below mentioned description, please contact me @…….or send me a PM. Let’s not discuss any possible purchase posting
on this thread.” Just describe what you are looking for and be as specific as you can since you should know what you
want in the next cue. If you don’t, hold off getting a cue, figure it out & then set your sights on finding or ordering a cue.

brunswick1901

I do not have any of the cues on your list but I would like to talk to you about cues. If you reply to my ad on Craigslist Los Angeles for a Szamboti I will give you my contact information.

jjohnson

Registered
Thanks for your responses. I'll think about it.
Hard to believe L.A. is no longer a pool/billiards mecca.
The weather is too damn good. And there is so much great entertainment close by.
Beaches, sports, skiing, gambling, clubs, etc.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
The local halls usually have at least a few cues for sale. Nothing fancy here. Just some Vikings and Mcdermotts. No higher end stuff anymore. You might have to go to a few to find a type cue you like then order online if you are going retail but want a more pricey version. If you are looking to go CF shaft probably the only way is to make some friends and try theirs out for feel or go to the expo.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Some of the cue makers on here probably could make you a shaft with same specs as what you have. Some will refuse to. Prices really aren’t that high for a custom shaft. Viking Cues lists a vpro at $199, charged me over $300 for my last Viking vpro(to my specs and fitted) and some of the makers here are cheaper than that. if you post in wanted you are sure to get pms.

CuseFan559

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm in Los Angeles and I am selling my cue collection. I have off brands to one of a kind collectables. If you would like I can meet you at a pool room in Orange County.
Can you post a list of your cue collection. From the couple of cues you have listed I would bet you have a very nice collection. I am in central California.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No mail orders.

Thanks.

Got a pool hall near you? Go there and make some friends, there are sure to be a few people there with a shaft that will fit yours you can try some. Aside from just the shooters, there are usually a few people that deal in cues/trades. There are a few guys in my area (new england) that have a few dealer cases filled with shafts and cues, all good to sample for a bit, I'm sure every local area has the same. The cue repair guy in the area may have something also.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your responses. I'll think about it.
Hard to believe L.A. is no longer a pool/billiards mecca.
The weather is too damn good. And there is so much great entertainment close by.
Beaches, sports, skiing, gambling, clubs, etc.
That really has nothing to do with it. It all comes down to the cost of real estate and the direction consumers have chosen as the preferred shopping method. There's not a lot of rooms in the LA area anymore because the cost to lease commercial space and electricity are huge impediments to turn a profit. I remember in the 90's there were a couple billiards equipment stores. Best Billiards in Santa Ana, Ca comes to mind. I went there with my budget and salesman Ariel Carmelli (just getting started making cues) worked with me for an hour or so before I settled on a DanBuilt (Dan Dishaw). They had a couple 9' tables setup so you could try the cues you were considering. Best Billiards and those like them are long gone for the reason mentioned earlier but also because people are shopping online more and more. Most of the return policies make it convenient, accommodating and in some instances more cost effective. I'm not sure what their cue selection is but I know West State Billiards has a showroom. If you are interested in a production cue, Tiger Products has a showroom with a 9' table so you can try out their cues.