Best hitting cue you ever played with.

Flakeandrun

How many cues have most of you people been through? Just a curious question.

As it seems most people trade them like Pokémon cards. Seems most people have a quiver of sticks to choose from (on this forum, and from friends playing where I’m based - Chinese attitude/culture toward buying is a little different than what I’m used to already, but the need to buy seems pretty big in pool in general)

I really tried hard to adopt the approach I grew up with in snooker. So I don’t get lost in the trap of buying endlessly. Or really think some tech nonsense is going to change my life.

I got a custom that’s mine and I’m so stoked on it, it’s beautiful and hits amazing. I was lucky it popped up. Almost feel like it chose me.

Went carbon for break and jump now. They’ll last longer than I’ll live I imagine.

The only thing I can improve in this situation is my actual game 😂

Would love to see some of your collections. Is there an existing thread for this?

Here’s my tools of the trade; my hammer, bolt gun and drill.

IMG_0204.jpeg

Flakeandrun

Flakeandrun-Is your answer a Vigus with someone else's shaft?
My answer to the question is Mr Vigus's mentor on full splice, John Nemec.
Actually, the Vigus shafts are also impeccable (came with 12.8 and 13 - the 12.8 is. magic wand). But you're right, I am having a F fantastic time with a Musashi on the end of this thing :)

Last edited:
Ok, here are the rules. Hit is subjective, we all know that. But let's try anyway to compile a list of cues that we think are GREAT playing cues.

The only rule is one vote per person. So think about it and pick the one cue out of all the cues you have been able to shoot with that you would keep if you could only have one of them for the rest of your life.

Now of course you can put in a name of a cue you have never shot with just because you desire to own it and have heard it's a great playing cue but I hope that you will stick with cues that you actually had time to hit balls with for enough time to really get to know the cue.

I will start, and this is a very tough decision for me because I have owned so many great cues. Keep in mind that just because a brand is someone's #1 choice the number 2 might be real close.

But the object here is to see what sort of list we can come up with if you can only have one. I will update this post with a running list and vote count if it gets any traction. Sometime in the future I will tally the votes by brand even though there may be different "eras" and butt/shaft combinations.

My #1 pick is Jensen.

The List - Brand - Votes

George Balabushka - 1 (real Buska, not Adams)
Joey Bautista - 1
Al Bautista - 1
Mike Bender - 1
Black Boar - 2
Leonard Bludworth - 2
Mike Capone -1
Cognoscenti - 2
Coker - 2
Dufferin House Cue 19oz - 1 (assuming original Canadian made Dufferin)
Pat Diveny - 1
Billy Gibbs - 1
Mike Gulyassy -1
Greg Hearn - 1
Mason Houghland - 1
Huebler -3
Bobby Hunter - 2
Jimmy Ingram -1
Jacoby -1
Jensen - 2
Josey -1
Joss gold letter - 2
Steve Lomax - 1
MEZZ TA3, with the Hybrid Pro shaft. -1
Paul Mottey - 2
Kenny Murrell - 1
Chris Nitti - 1
Jim Odom - 1
Jeff Olney - 1
John Parris - 1 (snooker cue)
PFD - 1
Jim Pierce - 2
Phillippi - 2
Jerry Powers - 1
Judd - 1
Kersenbrock -1
Kikel - 1
Hermann Rambow - 1
Edwin Reyes - 1
Bob Runde - 1
Samsara #1978, 314-2 shaft - 1
Dennis Searing -1
Schon (Runde Era) - 2
Schon - 3
Schuler -1
Schuler with pro taper shaft (not Schuler Pro) - 1
Chuck Starkey - 1
Sugartree - 3
Gus Szamboti - 3
TAD steel joint - 2
Tascarella - 1
Jerry Terbrock - 1
Varney - 2
Larry Vigus w/OB Shaft - 1
Larry Vigus - 1
Thomas Wayne - 1 (one vote invalidated)
Mike Webb - 1
Skip Weston - 1
SouthWest - 1
Woodworth - 1

If I missed any let me know.
My current player that I’ve had about 10 years. Pete Ohman. Omen cues. Only thing close is a Purple Heart Josey sneaky I played with a long time. Probably owned 30 cues along the way.

brunswick1901

I own a lot of cues and I have played with most of them. I did not play with a few high end cues because I felt they might become collector's items. They all hit differently, I like the way a few of them hit and hated the way others hit.

I have been asked a bunch of times about “What cue should I buy?”.

My answer has always been something you like and or when you hit the cue ball the cue ball and object ball react as you expect it to act.

When the expectation is reinforced with practice you should play with that cue.

Diamond Jack

9-ball Player
Silver Member
Hi John, my best ever cue to play was a 1983 JR 7 built by Bob Meucci in Olive Branch Mississippi,
it was one of 8 ever made with ivory and it stays with me till today.
I bought it in Germany from Mr. Norbert Schmidt, at this time 1990 a very good Dealer from Essen, Kohlenpott.
Happy 2024 Mr. Barton and all from AzB from Germany between Cologne and Hannover.

Attachments

• img_20220905_150232_ehhi49.jpg
    img_20220905_150232_ehhi49.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rauenzahn Double Full Splice. For me, it's the perfect weight, balance and feedback. Jerry delivered exactly what I was looking for.

35972615400_1d3eb6e738_h.jpg

I played a league match against Jerry just the other night.

Some shoulder problems right now, but he still plays a pretty sporty game, and is as genuinely nice of a guy as you'll ever find!

Podunker

I look back. Had 2 southwests, Hueblers, Joss, Mottey, Schon, Mezz, Predator, ect. I really think the best was a mid d series McDermott. Something about that cue and hit just fit. Traded it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, the Vigus shafts are also impeccable (came with 12.8 and 13 - the 12.8 is. magic wand). But you're right, I am having a F fantastic time with a Musashi on the end of this thing :)
I've probably owned 15 cues through the years and probably a third of them were made by friends who insisted I buy them and I do not regret saying 'yes' to any of those friends.

I'm sure my 'best hitting' input is in previous post in this thread:
Pat Diveney

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All four of my Schons basically hit the same with the same shaft, Jacoby Ultra. My no wrap Schon though is my soulmate, just love that cue. My DZ with it's standard 30" is a fantastic cue also, slightly more rear balanced, and a slightly smoother hit/feel even though I have the same tip on. Maybe if I shot it more, it might become as crisp as the tip on my Jacoby.
Also wanted to say I almost bought a friends Jacoby no wrap. I took it home and played with it for a few days and will say that cue was fantastic, slightly more rear balanced than my Schons, but just a great feeling and hitting cue. Would have bought it but had just also bought that DZ, and wasn't about to sell the DZ. If the pin were the same as my Schons or my DZ, I may have bought it anyway. I may still buy it as he hasn't sold it and isn't trying to sell it.

Last edited:

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Most of the cues I have built that I have actually played much with hit as good or better than any other cues I have used throughout my sad pool playing career. I adjust to just about any cue with a good tip and a slick shaft in short order. Only to miss the money ball:mad:

Maybe if I were a better player I could understand the intricacies better and know WTF I'm talking about?

Justnum probably knows what I mean since I don't:ROFLMAO:

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I played with this older guys '64 Balabushka somewhere around 2007, it had a hit I can only describe as a flexible piece of glass, really unique. He was going to sell it to help put his daughter through college. Around the same time, my friend Mike Lopez had a Searing half-joint cue which was amazing. The cue I love most and have played with for the last 8 years is my full-splice Tascarella, it is just made for me-

-dj

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the cues I have built that I have actually played much with hit as good or better than any other cues I have used throughout my sad pool playing career. I adjust to just about any cue with a good tip and a slick shaft in short order. Only to miss the money ball:mad:

Maybe if I were a better player I could understand the intricacies better and know WTF I'm talking about?

Justnum probably knows what I mean since I don't:ROFLMAO:
Hahaha

What could a cuemaker possibly know about cues?!?!?!