best pool role models?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wondering which professional players instructors would recommend watching to see "the right way" to play? and why?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, if they're pros, then they're successful players, right? So you can learn something by watching any of the pros play. As far as who to emulate, why not start at the top? Pick the highest ranked players and study them. They must be doing something REALLY right, correct?

As a teacher, however, making recommendations to a client, I will take my client's style of play and preferences into consideration and recommend a pro that I think will help them grow and not cause them to try to turn into someone they're not.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone once recommended me to watch Mike Sigel and Buddy Hall and that was because they recognize two things about these players that I have a tendency to do as a player.

1. I always go for safety play over shooting first. Mike Sigel was the player to watch for me because his defensive game was usually always on point and it was the first option for Sigel the majority of the time.

2. I play a very simple game and that's where buddy comes in. So I study his play to see how it can improve mine.

Needless to say, it has worked so far for me.

MamboFats

I recommend watching the matches of Niels Feijen and Albin Ouschan.
Their technique, stance and follow through on the shot are exemplary. Their insight in the game is on the highest level. Their numerous victories and accomplishments speak for themselves.

tomatoshooter

Someone once recommended me to watch Mike Sigel
I like Mike Sigel's game. He seems like the most accomplished player that a regular person can really learn from. What I mean by that is guys like Earl and Efren are so gifted that I can't do what they do. Mike, while obviously gifted, has a game that doesn't seem to necessitate such superhuman ability. It seems like a mere mortal's game, just performed with incredible precision and strategy. I don't see him doing unimaginable things with a cue ball, he just does the things I do but with much more precision and reliability.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Mike Sigel's game. He seems like the most accomplished player that a regular person can really learn from. What I mean by that is guys like Earl and Efren are so gifted that I can't do what they do. Mike, while obviously gifted, has a game that doesn't seem to necessitate such superhuman ability. It seems like a mere mortal's game, just performed with incredible precision and strategy. I don't see him doing unimaginable things with a cue ball, he just does the things I do but with much more precision and reliability.
He was a great player with a lot of accomplishments but as a role model he's an ego maniac and a constant whiner.