Big Boys and Their Toys Expo Tournament Fiasco

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Allow me to vent my frustrations:

There was an expo here in Phoenix called "Big Boys and Their Toys" in which numerous exhibitors displayed their products (as the name would suggest, most were more typical of men's interests, such as cars, boats, motorcycles, and yes, pool equipment). A local tournament promoter here organized an event in which 10 players would play a round robin tournament with a $1000 first prize (not bad for a local gig with only 10 players).

Here is what I was told about the tournament:

The tournament will be played on 9-foot Olhousen tables. There will be two 5-man brackets. Within those brackets, everyone will play everyone 7 games total, and the guy with the best win record in his bracket will come back on Sunday to play in the finals.

When I arrived to play on Saturday, this is what was actually happening:

The tournament was being played on 8-foot Olhousen tables. There were two 5-man brackets, as expected, but now the top two guys from each bracket would be back on Sunday. Upon discovering we were playing on 8-footers, I wouldn't have minded just leaving because I was expecting to play on the 9 footers that I was told we were going to play on. However, this was a partially sponsored event, and I had a sponsor, so I felt an obligation to stay and play. To sum up Saturday, I finished with the best record in my bracket. The fact that two of us were now coming back Sunday didn't really bother me, but still, it was yet another change that was made on tournament day.

Sunday:

The 4 of us are supposed to play a round robin, with each player playing all players 9 games. The two players with the lowest number of wins get 3rd and 4th, while the two players with the highest number of wins are going to play one final round for first place (again, it's only a total of 9 games, so the finals is a race to 5). The way it ends up is, one player has 15 wins, me and another player have 14 wins, and another player has 11 wins. So, 4th place is determined, but now the two of us with 14 wins have to have a play-off to see who goes to the finals. Well, somewhere along the line, either just prior to, or during my match, the promoter changes the rules/format one final time, deciding that my match was only to determine 2nd and 3rd, and that the guy who was waiting to play one of us was now the winner! So, I end up winning my match, and now I'm thinking I'm going to play in the finals. Nope! I get second, and that is that. The promoter's reasoning was that we were running out of time. Well, after walking around the Expo for 20 minutes, I was about to leave when I saw that there were still matches going on in a scotch doubles tournament that was taking place at the same time, and the finals hadn't even started yet! So to sum up what happened, 1st place money ($1000 + a $350 case) was just GIVEN to one player, while I was handed 2nd place ($500) without even holding the finals.

Nice, eh?

Keith Legros

Registered
Sounds like the organizers for this tournament intended to be a "fun" thing to do at the expo.

I would almost bet that from the start they did not care who won what, but merely a demenstration of some "action"

Keith Legros

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
Either that or the Promotor had a "favorite" who he wanted to win or thought couldn't be beat! Then when it appeared he would/could lose, he fixed the format!

...Zim

B

BrianB

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, I'll ask one question, when has Ron Hoffman ever ran a pool tournament for pool players. He runs tournaments using his own computerized handicapping system, or was that Pat Flemings system. And he runs tournaments in conjunction wih the Arizona State games and gives out trophys.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I was going to ask if that was a Ron Hoffman production. I usually check out the local publications and I didn't see anything about this event coming up.

Mike

H

H. Danielson

Jimmy...I feel your pain. The situation you presented should never happen. This promotor or tournament director sounds very inexperienced. Even if it is a "fun event" every player has a right to know what the rules and format are before the event begins and there is no need to ever change them. The guy that won the event must have been pleasently surprized...or perhaps it was his brother-in-law!! You have every right to call 911...you have been robbed.

Harold

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member

Hehe. Harold are you running the Alberta 9-ball Championships this weekend?

H

H. Danielson

Celtic:

No, I won't be Tournament Director for the Alberta 9-Ball Championship but I recently ran the Western Canadian Championship in Calgary, Alberta which was part of the 2003 WPA World Tour. It turned out to be a great event with Johnny Archer winning and Alex Pagulayan as runner-up.

HAROLD

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
I just read something in the local paper (Table Talk) from Ron, or one of his counterparts, in which they spent the entire time justifying why they did what they did (Understaffed, undersupported, etc. They left out unorganized, uneducated, and unintelligent, but hey, who's keeping track :D). Then they even went on to say that they were working on a rematch between me and the person that I was supposed to play in the finals! That's pretty damn funny considering this is the first that *I* have heard of it! Sorry to keep this thread going, but this just struck me as f***ing comical!

Last edited:

highsea

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
I just read something in the local paper (Table Talk) from Ron, or one of his counterparts, ...Then they even went on to say that they were working on a rematch between me and the person that I was supposed to play in the finals!

I would write a letter to the editor of that paper. Say how pleased you are that the promotor is going to make it right, etc...

Put a little pressure on the promotor. Maybe mention that you have not been contacted about the rematch, but are ready when they are...maybe suggest a time and place for the match.

-CM