Bridge Ruled A Sport - How about Billiards?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The brain is not a muscle. Muscles contract. Brains do not.
Muscles don't have shit in them. Brains do.
Brains think of naked girls while making a shot. Muscles only make the shot.
This judge obviously doesn't have a brain, and neither does his muscles.
I have heard that a penis has a brain. I cannot personally vouch for that. :smile:

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the Oxford English dictionary defines a sport: "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment," I would call billiards a "sport." But a game like chess or card games, in which a person could verbally give commands to another, in order to initiate moves, would not qualify.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the Oxford English dictionary defines a sport: "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment," I would call billiards a "sport." But a game like chess or card games, in which a person could verbally give commands to another, in order to initiate moves, would not qualify.

I have had debates about this very topic.
Some people claim pool is merely a 'game.'

I say it's a sport; not because I play it, but because:

1) Pool requires exertion (walking, bending, swinging of arm, and stretching;
2) Pool requires skill (lots of it); and
3) It requires thinking (that "muscle" inside your 'grape')

I could care less what other activities are considered 'sports' judges who attempt to interpret the law.
All I know is that pool is a sport. So there. :eek:

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I have had debates about this very topic.
Some people claim pool is merely a 'game.'
I say it's a sport; not because I play it, but because:
1) Pool requires exertion (walking, bending, swinging of arm, and stretching;
2) Pool requires skill (lots of it); and
3) It requires thinking (that "muscle" inside your 'grape')
All I know is that pool is a sport. So there. :eek:

I don't mean to argue, boogeyman,...oh, what the hell. Yes I do. Pool is a game, and not a sport.
To wit: 1. Pool does not require exertion. What you describe is movement, and not necessarily exertion. 2. Pool most certainly does not require skill. Ball-bangers are a classic example. 3. It does not require thinking, or at least very much of it. Again, the ball-bangers.
I rest my case. :smile:

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bridge is the number one card game in the WORLD, lots of people think it is poker but it

isn't. Hal Mix was a mentor of mine and made more money playing bridge than he ever

thought about making in the pool world. The article states that in order for them to be

present at world competitions they have to be recognized by the country they hail from,

I don't understand that recognize means making it a sport, but I hope they will be able to

compete with the rest of the world. Bridge is definitely not a sport, but is a great game

unto itself.

Teacherjohn

Registered
Pool is a game, not a sport

If you don't run, it is a game and not a sport. Pool is a game, chess is a game, poker is a game. Don't know what the hell NASCAR is, besides boring. Hunting is definitely not a sport. Murdering animals for fun?

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if pool is a game or a sport but.......

If you make it to the finals of a tournament, are you tired? If so, why? Why do the Europeans spend so much time trying to be fit like Thorsten Hohmann or our very own American Earl Strickland?

If you play 8 hours str8, how many quarter squats have you executed? Let's say (no idea of the real number) 200. OK, do 200 quarter squats and let me know if you worked a little bit.

I wonder how far you walk while playing? Walking is considered exercise.

Again, not sure any of this rises to the level of a sport but there is some physical effort involved.

I am going to find my pedometer and measure this next time.

Maybe Dr Dave has a resource page covering some of this.

Al

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games

Don't know about mountaineering. It's certainly not a game but is it a sport or a pastime?

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know about mountaineering. It's certainly not a game but is it a sport or a pastime?

I was quoting a quote from Ernest Hemingway..

He was the one who said that,,, it was his belief that to be a sport your life must be in danger.

He must have been an interesting guy.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
If you don't run, it is a game and not a sport. Pool is a game, chess is a game, poker is a game. Don't know what the hell NASCAR is, besides boring. Hunting is definitely not a sport. Murdering animals for fun?

Hmm, except that I can't really 100% agree on the pool being a game thing .... Man do I agree with everything else you said. :) Pool, is strenuous mentally and physically, and demanding of muscle coordination and execution of fine motor skills. Chess and poker don't require any of that. Where ever you place the knight ... that's where it goes on the chess board, there's no risk of over shooting your square. :)

To make NASCAR interesting and fair, I say put a sensor on the track under each vehicle's starting spot, and a corresponding sensor under each car, (essentially every car has its own starting line) and let em go. THE SAME DISTANCE to their respective starting / finishing lines.

I don't care if a car qualifies a few ten thousands slower than the next guy ... how the hell is the guy in the back make for a fair race. Let em start on the same playing field.

Guess them good olde boys can't figure that shit out.

In pool it would be like, if you're a C player, you have to spot SVB the 7 - out. WTF is that?

Or if you're not rated as the top golfer you have to tee off 100 yards behind the better player. :scratchhead:

If they're gonna do something silly like spotting head starts .. shouldn't it be the other way around?

Ahhh.,....

And as far as hunting ... too bad the animals couldn't be armed to defend themselves. Maybe we should have pro equal rights animal guardians ... LOL, they can hide in the trees near the animals and shoot back at the hunters. Give those big brave hunters with their guns and arrows something to think about. :thumbup:

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was quoting a quote from Ernest Hemingway..

He was the one who said that,,, it was his belief that to be a sport your life must be in danger.

He must have been an interesting guy.

Yup. Sure sounds like something Hemingway would say.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
As with baseball, football, hockey, golf, etc... pool is a sport when played professionally, it's a game when it's played by everyone else.

Pluto is not a planet.

Bridge is the greatest card game ever invented but not a sport.

Pluto and Goofy are both dogs, though I don't know what kind of sick experiments Goofy went through to speak and walk on 2 legs.

That weird dress was just ugly.

Pool gloves look a little goofy but work so shut up. If you can't stand a little ribbing from your friends, you've got bigger problems than a three-finger glove.

The APA is all right but if you don't like it don't play. And not playing in the APA does not make you superior to people who do, so get off your high horse.

Thus endeth all Internet Arguments.
:bow-down:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Anyone give a pool lesson to the less than stellar "athlete" ? Oh, it sux ;)

I don't mean you have to be a great athlete, but someone who at least plays or does some other sporting activity, even if they are not great at it.

Tennis players, hockey players, baseball players, racquet ball players, lacrosse players, badminton players, seem to pick up pool a lot easier, than lets say a chess player or card player. The hand eye coordination is already there, not to mention being comfortable using a "stick" of some sorts.

If in doubt, teach a 60 year old woman who has never played a sport in her life, and now wants to learn to play pool, and then tell me it's just a "game"? I won't make that mistake again ;)

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mean to argue, boogeyman,...oh, what the hell. Yes I do. Pool is a game, and not a sport.
To wit: 1. Pool does not require exertion. What you describe is movement, and not necessarily exertion. 2. Pool most certainly does not require skill. Ball-bangers are a classic example. 3. It does not require thinking, or at least very much of it. Again, the ball-bangers.
I rest my case. :smile:

Exertion is not a requirement for a sport, Archery is considered a sport, but you are not out of breath when you are done.

Anything that would require muscle memory or practice to execute should be a sport. If you study Monopoly for years to learn the best strategies, you turned Monopoly into a Sport from a Game.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone give a pool lesson to the less than stellar "athlete" ? Oh, it sux ;)

I don't mean a good athlete, but someone who at least plays or does some other sporting activity, even if they are not great at it.

Tennis players, hockey players, baseball players, racquet ball players, lacrosse players, badminton players, seem to pick up pool a lot easier, than lets say a chess player or card player. The hand eye coordination is already there, not to mention being comfortable using a "stick" of some sorts.

If in doubt, teach a 60 year old woman who has never played a sport in her life, and now wants to learn to play pool, and then tell me it's just a "game"? I won't make that mistake again ;)

Rarely do I agree with RJ but had to give you a greenie for that one. The last paragraph was a hoot.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Exertion is not a requirement for a sport, Archery is considered a sport, but you are not out of breath when you are done.

Anything that would require muscle memory or practice to execute should be a sport. If you study Monopoly for years to learn the best strategies, you turned Monopoly into a Sport from a Game.

You had me, then you lost me? I agree with the first analogy, but not the "monopoly" one. A game is a game, regardless of how good you are at it. Checkers will never be a sport even if you win the world checker championship, multiple times.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You had me, then you lost me? I agree with the first analogy, but not the "monopoly" one. A game is a game, regardless of how good you are at it. Checkers will never be a sport even if you win the world checker championship, multiple times.

That depends on how we look at what separates a Sport vs a "Game". If Sport is something that needs you to move a part of your body to execute it, then no board game or pure mental exercise is a sport. But if we look at Sport as something that you would work on to get better, actively, through learning, training, practice, then anything done at a top level is a Sport. Which is how I look at it.

If you play cards with your friends and never think of anything about what card you want to play, and just get better by accident through a lot of play, not through study, you are playing a card game. If you read 3 books on poker and enter $1,000 entry free tournaments and think about what cards to play when every 5 minutes in a day, then you elevate that card "Game" into a card "Sport".

That's my opinion on Sport vs Game.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure if pool is a game or a sport but.......

If you make it to the finals of a tournament, are you tired? If so, why? Why do the Europeans spend so much time trying to be fit like Thorsten Hohmann or our very own American Earl Strickland?

If you play 8 hours str8, how many quarter squats have you executed? Let's say (no idea of the real number) 200. OK, do 200 quarter squats and let me know if you worked a little bit.

I wonder how far you walk while playing? Walking is considered exercise.

Again, not sure any of this rises to the level of a sport but there is some physical effort involved.

I am going to find my pedometer and measure this next time.

Maybe Dr Dave has a resource page covering some of this.

Al

There are numerous calorie calculators to be found online. Try this one:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=145