can you make a 60" cue light?

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just picked up a 60" cue last week, and I like the extra length, but Im used to playing with a schon that weighs 18.5, and my new cue weighs 20.1. I realise the extra wood contributes to the weight (30" butt 30" shaft), is there a way to get a playable 60" cue that weighs 18.5 or close to it? Either thru choices of wood, or some type of coring technique? I was thinking about getting a nicer 60" cue made in the future, the one I got is just a plain sneaky, but I dont know if I would want one if I have to get 20 oz's or more.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
just picked up a 60" cue last week, and I like the extra length, but Im used to playing with a schon that weighs 18.5, and my new cue weighs 20.1. I realise the extra wood contributes to the weight (30" butt 30" shaft), is there a way to get a playable 60" cue that weighs 18.5 or close to it? Either thru choices of wood, or some type of coring technique? I was thinking about getting a nicer 60" cue made in the future, the one I got is just a plain sneaky, but I dont know if I would want one if I have to get 20 oz's or more.

I have 4 60" cues that range from 19.0 oz to 20.5 oz. I'm sure it depends greatly on the wood used though. Just thought I'd throw my experiences out there.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
could make one as light as 16oz I believe

The old Brunswick one piece snooker cue came in a twelve ounce version. It did still have good balance at that weight. My guess is that a very plain 60" jointed stick could be made as light as 16-17 ounces. Of course there would be compromises, I'm thinking an ash shaft might be the easiest way to go.

Hu

scottycoyote said:

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
hey zeeder whats the wood type on the 19oz cue.......and hows the hit feel?

Both my Gilbert J/B and latest Skip Weston are about 19 oz and they both feel great. The Gilbert is ebony and bird's eye maple and the Skip is ebony, snakewood, and bird's eye maple.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
heres another question...........i wonder if I have a leather wrap installed on this cuestick, if it would shave off enough weight to get the stick closer to 19oz's, because i know the area has to be shaved down to accept the wrap so its more flush with the rest of the cue.......hmmmmmmmm

hadjcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:

yes I can make 'em

Hadj

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just finished a 60 incher for myself, but still need to see how it feels. I already have the feeling that It will be better to use it in a large pool room with more space, because that little bit extra seems like it would hit off of everything in a smaller room. What I did was evenly distribute the lenth between both the shaft & butt section, and it seems to be stiff with minimal deflection. I'll know more when I get a chance to shoot with it :mad: :p
I'm not taking any orders, and already have list of people to take care of when i do anyway, just still experiementing, and figured i would mention that I have tried this. I will relay results if I ever get to try it out. My table at home is just that a table with a bunch of junk on top, so have to go out to try it on the 9 footers. afterall that's what I attended it for anyway ;) .

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
I own a 60" Schick Titlist that weighs 18.5 ounces myself. It has an ivory joint, 3/8-10 flat faced. I had Bill take down the butt some, and the shafts are 12.75mm. The cue is also an even 30" split...plays jam up solid. I rarely shoot it as it is mainly a collectors item for my son if he ever picks up the game. So yes, it can definately be done.

Shorty

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The things to look at on a finished cue that is to heavy is
1- weight bolt if any,
2- joint and joint pin. These are pretty much your options with out expensive work and expense.

Jack Kompan

Jack Kompan, Mystick Cues
60" light cues

scottycoyote said:

Absolutely. Careful wood selection and a few tricks with the connecting bolt and we have made 60" cues as low as 16.5 ownces. They are not hollow and they hit like a truck.

When I say a few tricks don't missunderstand. This is not a Mystick Cue exclusive. Any reasonably competent cue maker with a good selection of exotic hardwoods can do it. We feature them at Mystick cues because the owner is a weak old man who plays with a 16.5 oz cue...jack kompan

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Jack, one question please

Are you using maple or an ash shaft to get the stick that light? Well maybe two questions: :D What is the balance point?

Thanks,
Hu

Jack Kompan said:
Absolutely. Careful wood selection and a few tricks with the connecting bolt and we have made 60" cues as low as 16.5 ownces. They are not hollow and they hit like a truck.

When I say a few tricks don't missunderstand. This is not a Mystick Cue exclusive. Any reasonably competent cue maker with a good selection of exotic hardwoods can do it. We feature them at Mystick cues because the owner is a weak old man who plays with a 16.5 oz cue...jack kompan

Jack Kompan

Jack Kompan, Mystick Cues
60" cue

Tried to answer your question but screwed up and posted an earlier message twice. Sorry.

60" is standard at Mystick Cues. Shafts are 30" hard rock maple weighing appoximately 3.5 oz. Weights are controled by wood selection varying from maple with sp g of about .38 + or - to any of the so called iron woods with a sp g of 1. Balance slides with wood selection. We use no weight bolts. One reason we can use heavier woods is we never hesitate to switch to aluminum connecting bolts. For example, black walnut with maple shaft equals about 16.5 oz. Gaboon ebony with maple front equals 19 to 20.5 oz. Black mesquite front and butt plus gaboon handle is a 24 0z coal minors delight.

Hope this helps. Anymore questions call (210)404-9852 and ask for Jack Kompan. 24/7

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Many Thanks!

Many Thanks! I'll hang on to the number.

Hu

Jack Kompan said:
Tried to answer your question but screwed up and posted an earlier message twice. Sorry.

60" is standard at Mystick Cues. Shafts are 30" hard rock maple weighing appoximately 3.5 oz. Weights are controled by wood selection varying from maple with sp g of about .38 + or - to any of the so called iron woods with a sp g of 1. Balance slides with wood selection. We use no weight bolts. One reason we can use heavier woods is we never hesitate to switch to aluminum connecting bolts. For example, black walnut with maple shaft equals about 16.5 oz. Gaboon ebony with maple front equals 19 to 20.5 oz. Black mesquite front and butt plus gaboon handle is a 24 0z coal minors delight.

Hope this helps. Anymore questions call (210)404-9852 and ask for Jack Kompan. 24/7