Can you tell me what this is ????

camargored

Camargo Red Cues
Silver Member
What might this be .and how much is ut worth .Yhis cue is from the 60s or 70s i think .It came out of New York City .Its not forsale as of now and its now mine its a friends cue that was his dads .So give me some help.

Attachments

• 100_0703sm.jpg
    100_0703sm.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 506
  • 100_0705sm.jpg
    100_0705sm.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 461
  • 100_0706sm.jpg
    100_0706sm.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 461
  • 100_0707sm.jpg
    100_0707sm.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 458
  • 100_0708sm.jpg
    100_0708sm.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 455

camargored

Camargo Red Cues
Silver Member
more pics

Still more to come

Attachments

• 100_0709sm.jpg
    100_0709sm.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 376
  • 100_0710sm.jpg
    100_0710sm.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 369
  • 100_0711sm.jpg
    100_0711sm.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 357
  • 100_0712sm.jpg
    100_0712sm.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 346
  • 100_0714sm.jpg
    100_0714sm.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 340

camargored

Camargo Red Cues
Silver Member
more pics

should be it .I cant tell if the ferrule is micarta or ivory ? Thanks for any help Bill

Attachments

• 100_0717sm.jpg
    100_0717sm.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 100_0720sm.jpg
    100_0720sm.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 306

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need a good shot of the entire butt, joint to bumper. Looks like it might be a Paradise, but I dunno. The pics you posted don't show the entire butt close up, or as close as you can get, so it's hard to tell. For me, anyway.

ps, just took another look. MIGHT be a Bushka, but I really can't tell.

camargored

Camargo Red Cues
Silver Member
the point are not sharp is whats throughing most people off ? I cant get a good close up with my camera sorry.The rubber bumper i brown to.

camargored

Camargo Red Cues
Silver Member
This is my friends cue that his father left him .He told him it was a Buska when my friend was 9 .His dad died in 81 .His mom told him his dad had the cue sense the early 70s at least .He just wants to know he doesnt know much about his dad this is one of his few connections he has to him .They lived in he city (NY) till his dad died so its the right area for it to be a bushka ?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
camargored said:
the point are not sharp is whats throughing most people off ? I cant get a good close up with my camera sorry.The rubber bumper i brown to.

The points are not sharp because they've been sanded off in a terribly butchered refinish job. There are rough scratch marks all over the cue as evidence. They went below the surface too far. More evidence of severe sanding is in the wrap area, the way the wrap ramps up to the butt and still falls short of the surface.

I can't guess who made the cue. The forearm does look like a Spain to me, but it has been worked over so much as to severely harm the value to collectors. however, the points may be able to be cosmetically restored if the cue is found to be of value. The parts do look like they are from the 1960's. It's not a Paradise or a Palmer for sure. I believe it is a custom from the 1960's, but I don't know who made it.

It might be worth your time to e-mail pics to Pete Tascarella to see if he thinks it's worthwhile looking at it closer.

Chris

Ps. I'm posting a link to this in the Cue Gallery section to see if any collectors recognizes this work.

Last edited:

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TATE said:
The points are not sharp because they've been sanded off in a terribly butchered refinish job.
Chris

It looks to me like the forearm was not taken down enough to wipe out the end of the point blank so that the sharp point forms from the bottom of the V where the veneers are joined. If you look at oversized pointed blanks, you can see how they are squared off at the end like that.

Kelly

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Kelly_Guy said:
It looks to me like the forearm was not taken down enough to wipe out the end of the point blank so that the sharp point forms from the bottom of the V where the veneers are joined. If you look at oversized pointed blanks, you can see how they are squared off at the end like that.

Kelly

I wondered the same thing myself - but it's hard to believe it would be completed that way. George would be rolling over in his grave.

Chris

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris...I don't think it's a Balabushka. I owned one for 17 yrs, and I've seen dozens of real ones, and never even HEARD of one with double rings like this one has. It looks a lot like a cue that a friend of mine from San Diego got in the 60's. There was a cuemaker there (unknown) who made some pretty solid hitting cues. My friend (who lives in Bozeman, MT) still has his cue, and it's in much better condition than this one. Does resemble a Spain forearm though.

Scott Lee

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly right, Scott. It has no Balabushka rings. His rings were thick single rings. Even the new Adam Bushka cues use the same ring.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Chris...I don't think it's a Balabushka. I owned one for 17 yrs, and I've seen dozens of real ones, and never even HEARD of one with double rings like this one has. It looks a lot like a cue that a friend of mine from San Diego got in the 60's. There was a cuemaker there (unknown) who made some pretty solid hitting cues. My friend (who lives in Bozeman, MT) still has his cue, and it's in much better condition than this one. Does resemble a Spain forearm though.

Scott Lee

Not only double rings, but Alum, so that is pretty much 2 strikes
and you're out as far as Bushka goes. George used Nickel Silver.

It does have some Bushka-like aspects.
Straight grain maple.
Same color veneers George prefered.
Delrin Butt Cap.

This does seem to be a Hi-Dollar blank<for the time>
the veneers are mitered, not wrapped<like a Hoppe>
but the pin looks to me like 5/16 x 18, not 14

If it was made in NY by some one anybody has ever heard of:
my best guess would be Abe Rich, but I don't think that is
very likely.

Dale Pierce

Last edited:

dave sutton

Banned
as far as the rings ive seen bushkas with no ring so there is a chance he did a double ring cue. (not here though). also never seen a bushka with a hole in the pin.

i wonder how fat the cue is bc of the square points. its look like it wasnt taken down enough unless the veneers werent joined at a 45 degree angle. i could sand the cue to a toothpick and the pints would still be sharp.

heres something to think about. obv its no secret g.b. could not cut in his own points. never did thats why he used blanks from anyone he could. what if this was a early attempt to cut in points by g.b.( i doubt it here) but somewhere down the line he had to attempt to try. i dont care how bad the cue turned out i bet its worth alot if it could be confirmed. just a thought

p.s. buttsleeve is too long and delrin is too short

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TATE said:
The forearm does look like a Spain to me....

I had thought the same also, as I believe alot of Burton Spain's blanks were used around that era by quite a few cuemakers and I think that George Balabushka, was one of them, but I too don't believe that it's one of George's cues.

Willie

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
TATE said:
The points are not sharp because they've been sanded off in a terribly butchered refinish job. There are rough scratch marks all over the cue as evidence. They went below the surface too far. More evidence of severe sanding is in the wrap area, the way the wrap ramps up to the butt and still falls short of the surface.

I can't guess who made the cue. The forearm does look like a Spain to me, but it has been worked over so much as to severely harm the value to collectors. however, the points may be able to be cosmetically restored if the cue is found to be of value. The parts do look like they are from the 1960's. It's not a Paradise or a Palmer for sure. I believe it is a custom from the 1960's, but I don't know who made it.

It might be worth your time to e-mail pics to Pete Tascarella to see if he thinks it's worthwhile looking at it closer.

Chris

Ps. I'm posting a link to this in the Cue Gallery section to see if any collectors recognizes this work.

Chris,

I think these points are squared off at the tips were because they were constructed that way. If the ring wasn't above the wrap and you could see where the points begin to meet, you would probably see how they were made....they overlap, like two were cut in and then the other two on top. Prong is not Spain.

It's definitely late 60s/early 70s period and the maker was probably a guy in NJ or NY. His name escapes me right now (John something maybe....got it written down somewhere but Joe Van will know). Check out this picture attached and you'll see what I'm talking about wrt the points.

Sean

Attachments

• bushka1-fh.jpg
    bushka1-fh.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 182

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
cueaddicts said:
Chris,

I think these points are squared off at the tips were because they were constructed that way. If the ring wasn't above the wrap and you could see where the points begin to meet, you would probably see how they were made....they overlap, like two were cut in and then the other two on top. Prong is not Spain.

It's definitely late 60s/early 70s period and the maker was probably a guy in NJ or NY. His name escapes me right now (John something maybe....got it written down somewhere but Joe Van will know). Check out this picture attached and you'll see what I'm talking about wrt the points.

Sean

Thanks, that blank looks just like it - I think you've got it. I don't know if I've ever seen a spliced cue with veneers cut that way.

Chris

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
Hey Chris...

TATE said:

Chris

:eek: the joint on this cue is identical to the one Cis' had made for me that I sent you pictures of ! So I am very interested also in knowing who made it !

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
John Merrill....that's the name I was trying to remember. That's who I think probably made your cue. He built a few cues out of NJ in the early 70s.