Confessions of a lurker

Carl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The recent post by JoeyA encouraging membership and participation got me thinking about my career as a lurker. I lurked for two years before joining, and rarely post. Why? I think these are the main reasons:

1. I?m not good enough to give advice.

2. I don?t play in a league, so I can?t commiserate about league triumphs or infractions. My brother joined a league, but I don?t feel right about stealing his stories.

3. I?m not a money player, so I can?t talk about woofing, weight, or nits. I play mostly at home, to unwind at the end of the day. I still enjoy the war stories, though.

4. I don?t follow the pro tour closely. Most of what I know, I learn here.

5. I?m not a cue expert or collector. I?m a cue acquirer and user, still learning what I like.

6. When I?ve come across a topic to which I think I could make a contribution, my views have already been expressed ? often multiple times, usually better than I could. If it?s a poll I might vote, but otherwise I move on.

So my basic excuse is that I don?t post unless I think I can make a fresh and useful contribution. Unfortunately, that attitude neglects the community aspect of AZB, which might be why I feel sinful about lurking. The forum is a rich source of information, but it is also a gathering place. The active members are from diverse backgrounds, all with a shared interest in the game and its lore. It?s apparent that many have used the forum to renew old friendships or nurture new ones. I have met a few AZBers, but don't know any really well.

My behavior is no doubt a product of how I got here. I found AZB while looking for information about equipment, and the contributions of the participating members has made it an invaluable resource. So I tend to think of AZB first as a source of information and viewpoints from more experienced players than me. Yet it has also become a source of entertainment ? like wandering from conversation to conversation at a party, listening in but never talking, gradually getting to know the crowd.

I don?t doubt that other lurkers have had a similar experience. We?re not silent out of disrespect. To the contrary, we prefer not to speak unless we have something useful to say. Still, I hope the more active members will realize that we visit because the forum is filled with friendly an likeable enthusiasts who make it a pleasure to be here. We lurk because we care. (Or is it because we can?)

Methodman201

@gmail.com
Silver Member
Azb is a place for People who play by People who play. Don't have to be a freak or nut because there are plenty of them here already!!
Let me say, Welcome To the real AZB..
-Vincent

dimes33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
welcome

then you my friend are most likely in the same boat as 90% of people who do post here.:) and theres nothing wrong with that.:) if nothing else you will get some good laughs,lord knows i do:D .welcome

SoundWaves

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carl said:
I don?t doubt that other lurkers have had a similar experience. We?re not silent out of disrespect. To the contrary, we prefer not to speak unless we have something useful to say. Still, I hope the more active members will realize that we visit because the forum is filled with friendly an likeable enthusiasts who make it a pleasure to be here. We lurk because we care. (Or is it because we can?)

I think all of us are here for different reasons, I strive to learn at pool and anything else I love. I would be lost without this resource and spend most of my time here trying to learn from others. I too, rarely add to the discussion. It's funny that you can spend so much time on here that you really feel as though you are a part of the crowd. In reality very few notice we are here... My lurking confession

Last edited:

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
Just remember, if you have a question, chances are the answers will help others too. People of all levels are here, from incompetents like myself to pros.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Carl, you are to be commended for coming forward. I'm sure many lurkers feel the way you do, but the fact remains that if you love pool, you are already one of us. Stick around, try posting in a few threads, and maybe you will find that you have more to contribute than you think.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I think that every single Az member lurked a little before signing up (although probably not for two years:confused: ), I know I did.

There are no requirements for membership, and everyone is invited and welcome. Responding to every thread isn't necessary and Az can boast membership by every level of player, beginner to pro.

Welcome Carl, and I'm sure you find yourself responding, and adding, to more threads than you imagine.

Jimmy

buck15

going broke! got there!
Silver Member
welcome aboard

welcome to the day light. don't worry about what ya have to say or if ya think what you have to say won't fly. many times a different opinion on somthing will make somthing click . chime in ya never know. you might have the smartest thing to say considering the way things have been latley.later:eek:

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
It's TRUE (people here speak highly of me)

I certainly hope that the information you've recieved from my thousands of posts has improved your pool game more than you'd anticipated. I'm a wealth of information.... imo
Doug
( I have stuff I haven't even said..... YET ) :)

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carl, I found your original post in this thread to be well worded that thoghtfully composed. I have no doubt there will be threads to which you will be able to make valuable contributions. If nothing else, a well asked question about a topic of interest is always welcome.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
This is a great post, Carl! I have no doubt that you have much to contribute to the AZ community, through your individual perceptions and observations. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about "lurker confessions", as I'm sure that others share them too. Thanks for coming out of the closet! :p

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jimmyg said:
I think that every single Az member lurked a little before signing up (although probably not for two years:confused: ), I know I did.
Lol...I never did. I just jumped right in. I didn't know much about pool then, and I barely know anything about pool now (the little I do know is all thanks to this forum). I just thought it would be fun to join a forum and join the internet age. I guess if did I lurk for a couple of months before joining and got more familiar with the forum and its posters (back then...during the DM era), I would have been too intimidated as well to post anything at all.

Just to relate to some of Carl's points...

Am I good enough to give advice? Heck no...I'm a self-professed D player (C if I practice enough, but I never do), but that doesn't stop me from giving advice anyways. ;)

Do I play in a league? Nope...never joined one. Never participated in a tournament either.

Am I a money player? Never gambled before.

Do I follow the pro tour closely? Just like you, all the 411 I get is on AZ and the forums.

Am I a cue collector? Not even close. I've owned only one cue my entire life.

So my advice to Carl is...just jump right in. Who cares if no one cares about your opinion? I feel that way everytime I post. ;) Sometimes, it's just a nice way to pass some idle time at work. Participating is surely more fun than lurking.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Carl said:
The recent post by JoeyA encouraging membership and participation got me thinking about my career as a lurker. I lurked for two years before joining, and rarely post. Why? I think these are the main reasons:

1. I?m not good enough to give advice.

2. I don?t play in a league, so I can?t commiserate about league triumphs or infractions. My brother joined a league, but I don?t feel right about stealing his stories.

3. I?m not a money player, so I can?t talk about woofing, weight, or nits. I play mostly at home, to unwind at the end of the day. I still enjoy the war stories, though.

4. I don?t follow the pro tour closely. Most of what I know, I learn here.

5. I?m not a cue expert or collector. I?m a cue acquirer and user, still learning what I like.

6. When I?ve come across a topic to which I think I could make a contribution, my views have already been expressed ? often multiple times, usually better than I could. If it?s a poll I might vote, but otherwise I move on.

So my basic excuse is that I don?t post unless I think I can make a fresh and useful contribution. Unfortunately, that attitude neglects the community aspect of AZB, which might be why I feel sinful about lurking. The forum is a rich source of information, but it is also a gathering place. The active members are from diverse backgrounds, all with a shared interest in the game and its lore. It?s apparent that many have used the forum to renew old friendships or nurture new ones. I have met a few AZBers, but don't know any really well.

My behavior is no doubt a product of how I got here. I found AZB while looking for information about equipment, and the contributions of the participating members has made it an invaluable resource. So I tend to think of AZB first as a source of information and viewpoints from more experienced players than me. Yet it has also become a source of entertainment ? like wandering from conversation to conversation at a party, listening in but never talking, gradually getting to know the crowd.

Nice thread, Carl. I like individuals to express how and what they get out of AZ Billiards. It is always interesting to hear another person's viewpoint even if it isn't the same as yours.

You have described the forum quite well. Thanks for posting. Some people think before they post and others just post away without a single thought of the consequences of their post. :p

See you around.
JoeyA

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Carl.

You seem like a thoughtful guy. May I trade you as a lurker with one of a few dozen people who do post regularly?

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Uh-Oh ! (I'm a gone pecan... imo)

mikepage said:
Hey Carl.

You seem like a thoughtful guy. May I trade you as a lurker with one of a few dozen people who do post regularly?

cough, cough, cough, sputter, sputter, cough......
Doug
( nevermind )

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
Doug
( nevermind )

Hey Doug -- Get a handkerchief and clean up that mess. You know I would never trade you...

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i never judge other people by how they play or what they have etc, there is no reason not to say whats on your mind or share your thoughts.

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great place to get all your questions answered as well. There is thousands of years of experience amongst the members here. You don't need to provide expertise to the forum all the time you could just ask questions, you will find that subjects will come up that you are more or less an expert at.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
The FAR Distant Future

Originally Posted by Smorgass Bored
Doug
( nevermind )

mikepage said:
Hey Doug -- Get a handkerchief and clean up that mess. You know I would never trade you...

Whew, thank goodness. I had a funny feeling that when I lost all those pool games to you on purpose, that I would oneday reap the reward....
Thanks,
Doug
( the next time, you lose to ME on purpose and I promise YOU a reward........ in the future. :)

third_i

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always wondered why people "lurked." I've never really understood why. I'm one of those guys that has something to say to everything but at the same time I won't just ramble and pretend I know something when I don't, maybe it's just me?

Like it's been said before, everyone can learn something from anyone. I for one, haven't played competitive in a couple years and I only really play for fun at this point. I'm not willing to spend the money for a custom cue and am happy with retail cues. Does that make my posts any less important than anyone else's? I don't think so. For the most part everyone's post(as long as they are respectfully on topic) should be taken in account and given the time to be read.

In the end, it's your decision whether you want to lurk or be an active member but I'm sure(as you can tell by this thread) that if you speak, we will listen.