Congratulations Shane Van Boening World 8 ball Champion

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The scratch that he lost on was unbelievable and not a reflection on how he played. Having and intense focus and desire to win (eye of the tiger) does not mean that you win every match.
Agreed. Both players seemed focused and played well in that match. Only one game went as far as the breaker's second visit to the table. Shane had 2 scratches on the break and a missed 8-ball on a kick after bad position from his last solid. Chang missed a pretty easy 12-ball to the side with the shot clock beeping and a difficult 2-ball after bad position from the 3-ball. So very few errors in the match.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very well done by shane, i think he has plenty left in the tank. He is just too good.
Hopefully he can win a few more.
Its a shame all he got was a medal, and no trophy, to take home.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to Shane for a fine victory, and congrats to the runner-up Sanjin Pehlivanovic, too, for battling through to the final.
It appears Shane plans to turn that last 8-ball into his own personal trophy.

I don't blame any tournament for awarding medals instead of trophys, especially one with respectable first prizes of $75,000 for the winner of the Men's event, and $50k for the Women's.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. Both players seemed focused and played well in that match. Only one game went as far as the breaker's second visit to the table. Shane had 2 scratches on the break and a missed 8-ball on a kick after bad position from his last solid. Chang missed a pretty easy 12-ball to the side with the shot clock beeping and a difficult 2-ball after bad position from the 3-ball. So very few errors in the match.
So either the breaking player broke and ran out, or the incoming player ran out in their first inning - in every game? That's great pool.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So either the breaking player broke and ran out, or the incoming player ran out in their first inning - in every game? That's great pool.
13 of the 14 games were like that. The breaker had a second inning in the other game.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I liked the break becoming tough. It made it more interesting. Allowing it to be an open table after the break made it an easy run fest and for me hard to watch. E

Pool Hand Luke

On some of the close ups of Shane's cue tip, it looked like it was either mushroomed or a mm larger than his ferrule. Add to that, it also looked flatter than a nickle much less a dime.
Also in one of the early racks, he shot the 2 ball hoping to break the 5/1 sitting near the side pocket and it didn't work out like he hoped. I thought he might try making the 5 in the side off the 1 ball carom nudging the 1 toward the corner pocket. Not a critique, just an observation from the overhead shot of the table. Never saw so many dry breaks. Both players were shaking their heads.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to Shane for a fine victory, and congrats to the runner-up Sanjin Pehlivanovic, too, for battling through to the final.
It appears Shane plans to turn that last 8-ball into his own personal trophy.

I don't blame any tournament for awarding medals instead of trophys, especially one with respectable first prizes of $75,000 for the winner of the Men's event, and $50k for the Women's.
He also did that, with the worlds he won. Grabbed the 9. Its a nice touch to do that, a nice reminder too!!

Guy Manges

Registered
Now if we could just put all the 8 Ball 2023 world champions together in one play off and see who the winner is... But our world of pool won't let us do that will they ? Guy