Controversy at Mosconi Cup!

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those of you who haven't seen it yet, there was some controversy in the Majid vs Archer match during the evening session of the Mosconi Cup today. The details can be found here: http://www.mosconicup.com/article_detail.asp?article_id=23

Corey certainly had some choice words for Majid accusing him of sharking Archer by wiping his towel. Can any of our friends in the UK and Europe that witnessed the match elaborate on this and give us some more details?
Hopefully Majid wasn't doing this while Archer was at the table shooting.

I wonder if this had Corey rattled a little bit as he got drilled by Souquet immediately following the interview? Sounds like tomorrow is gonna be an interesting day!

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Article

said Majid kept wiping his hands on his towel while Johnny was shooting. Now if he raised the towel up in front of him, and was wiping his hands while Johnny was shooting, more than once, then it was obviously sharking, and particularly if it was in Johnny line of sight.

By the way, Team Europe is up 6-3 now.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
sniper said:
I wonder if this had Corey rattled a little bit as he got drilled by Souquet immediately following the interview? Sounds like tomorrow is gonna be an interesting day!

He was probably rattled because he was playing against one of the greatest players of all time. Yes, Ralf Souquet should already be considered as being one of the greatest pool players ever.

Even prior to 2006, Ralf Souquet had already won the World 9-Ball Championship, the Sands Regency 9-ball Championship, the US Open 9-ball Championship, the US Open 14.1 Championship, the BCA Open 9-ball Championship, the Derby City Classic 9-ball Championship, the World Pool Masters, the European championships, and several of these twice or more. Ralf has won every significant event in the game in an era in which fields, because of international diversity, are tougher than they have been at any other time in the game's history.

In 2006, he won Derby City again, was victorious at the BCA Open, had two top 10 finishes in the two IPT events, and finished second at the World 9-ball Championship.

Among the stars of today, only Hohmann and Reyes should ever be mentioned in the same breath as Souquet.

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
He was probably rattled because he was playing against one of the greatest players of all time. Yes, Ralf Souquet should already be considered as being one of the greatest pool players ever.

Even prior to 2006, Ralf Souquet had already won the World 9-Ball Championship, the Sands Regency 9-ball Championship, the US Open 9-ball Championship, the US Open 14.1 Championship, the BCA Open 9-ball Championship, the Derby City Classic 9-ball Championship, the World Pool Masters, the European championships, and several of these twice or more. Ralf has won every significant event in the game in an era in which fields, because of international diversity, are tougher than they have been at any other time in the game's history.

In 2006, he won Derby City again, was victorious at the BCA Open, had two top 10 finishes in the two IPT events, and finished second at the World 9-ball Championship.

Among the stars of today, only Hohmann and Reyes should ever be mentioned in the same breath as Souquet.

You nailed it sjm, this year has really enforced Ralf's position as one of the greatest players of our generation, and of all time. Much like his German counterpart Hohmann, Souquet has won the most coveted titles the pool world has to offer. On top of it, Ralf is nothing but pure class off the table always taking time to snap pictures and sign autographs with his fans, he really is one of the most likeable guys within the industry.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
sniper said:
You nailed it sjm, this year has really enforced Ralf's position as one of the greatest players of our generation, and of all time. Much like his German counterpart Hohmann, Souquet has won the most coveted titles the pool world has to offer. On top of it, Ralf is nothing but pure class off the table always taking time to snap pictures and sign autographs with his fans, he really is one of the most likeable guys within the industry.

Strangely, Ralf's classy but reserved style is probably one reason he doesn't get more credit for one of the greatest playing resumes of any pro in history.

A couple of years ago, I felt that the Hall of Fame lacked credibility because of its failure to induct Strickland. Now, I have the same feelings about the omission of Souquet. Ralf shouldn't have to wait too long.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Besides talent HOHMANN, REYES and SOUQUET also have an over abundance of class.

cheemagun

gettin there...
Silver Member
sjm said:

if you include hohmann i think you should include alex. runner up us open wpc and then wins both. one of the few able to keep up with dennis for $. souquets been around a lot longer then alex. wait till alex gets to that point in his career.

if you dont include hohmann then dont include alex. i agree about souquet and reyes.

ironhead_79

Let's Just Play To Play!!
Silver Member
i watched the whole thing. i only saw him wiping his hands twice and both times it was before archer got to the table, i don't believe in sharking anybody but in this case IMHO there was none going on, if someone wiping thier hands before you start your preshot is that much of a distraction, i think something else is going on in your head to distract you. Just my opinion, but i've never "Heard" someone wiping thier hands with a towel.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
cheemagun said:
if you include hohmann i think you should include alex. runner up us open wpc and then wins both. one of the few able to keep up with dennis for $. souquets been around a lot longer then alex. wait till alex gets to that point in his career.

if you dont include hohmann then dont include alex. i agree about souquet and reyes.

That's fair. I nearly included Alex, but felt his very non-descript 2006 had dropped him just a hair below the other three. If performance to date in this decade is considered, though, Alex beongs in their company, just as you suggest.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Leading 6-3, Strickland missed the brown 7 and such was his annoyance that he smashed his cue into the floor, splintering the shaft of his cue into pieces. << I got this from the front web page.....LOLz....how come all the cool shit happens when I'm not there....:p
________

Last edited:

Penrose Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there yesterday when it happened. Earl was playing like a God having missed only one ball so far. Then he got a difficult position on the keyball for the match, missed the pot and smashed the shaft on the ground, tip first.

After having won the match, he was asked to give a small interview for TV but got boohed and shout at and told the interviewer he'ld be better off asking the audience what to think about his game as they would know better anyway. Then Earl told the interviewer he would put the smashed shaft on Ebay and just walked away.

After that unfortunate event, I've spoken to a team member of the USA team who confirmed me that Earl definately belongs in a mental institution. Apparently, Earl blaimed it all on the teams lack of interest to win the cup. That annoyed him so much that he said : "if you guys don't give a damn about the cup, why should I ?"

Why would you treat you team members like that? Rodney is dead sick, but still playing incredibly and some of the other members are still under the influence of the jet lag... How can you expect perfect games from the start???

Anyway, I didn't like the fact that Earl was not givin' the oppertunity to answer the questions from the interview. But on the other hand, he shouldn't have treated Nick van den Berg's family like shit nor his team mates.

To me, Earl is still the best player and I'll keep respecting his fantastic game.

So for the Earl fans... watch Ebay for the next fews days.

Tom Penrose

shir

Poolcrazy
Silver Member
Hey Tom...

Did see you yesterday!

People here think I've gone crazy..
Keep shouting out names of people I haven't seen in ages...

Really wanted to be there.. But couldn't..
Are you gonna be there later?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Penrose Cues said:
I was there yesterday when it happened. Earl was playing like a God having missed only one ball so far. Then he got a difficult position on the keyball for the match, missed the pot and smashed the shaft on the ground, tip first.

Apparently, Earl blamed it all on the teams lack of interest to win the cup. That annoyed him so much that he said : "if you guys don't give a damn about the cup, why should I ?"

Why would you treat you team members like that? Tom Penrose

Earl, is the ultimate competitor. He would have done well with the UFC. Well, maybe he would have had to pack on a few pounds of muscle, but he has that type of competitive spirit. :)

When a person has this type of personality and they compete with fellow team members, they expect their team members to be of like mind and soul.

I am sure that Earl was simply trying to motivate his team members to "fight back". For some, a little anger can sometimes bring one's competitive spirit to its peak. Too much anger and it can send one's talent into the toilet.

Earl needs to find that balance for himself as others will have to do for themselves and he needs to learn that other people can get to the same end result using different methods of motivation. There are many ways that individuals bring their best game to the table and unless you know what a person's hot buttons are, you may be pushing their cold buttons and wind up with the opposite results you are trying to achieve.

Apparently sharking is allowed at the Mosconi Cup, at the very least the audience is allowed to shark anyone they choose. Maybe sharking is good for television when it brings extreme behavior to the camera and that means MONEY for advertising. Look at the lengths some of the female divas have been going to keep their name in neon lights, recently. If sharking is allowed by the audience, then the players will have to learn how to play under those conditions or abandon Mosconi Cup altogether.

I wonder if any of the following items are banned from player use in the Mosconi Cup?
Ear Plugs
MP3 players
Hats
Custom made Glasses
Blinders (LOL)

Prior to the Mosconi Cup, maybe the U.S. Team could go over to the Manila and do some gambling with the locals. I've heard when you are gambling in Manila, you had better develop your ability to shut out distractions or you will go broke, fast.
JoeyA

ironhead_79

Let's Just Play To Play!!
Silver Member
Rick S. said:
May I ask where you were watching it??

Thanks!

Rick S.

my buddy has some kind of free air satellite thing, on one of the channels you can watch hilights, but he called and told me to walk over they were going to replay the whole match, it was in a different language and picture was fuzzy but you could see fine, when he gets home today i'll find out what channel it is, i have dishnet in the house and directv in my shop and can't find that channel on either one. is the sky channel not available in the usa or am i looking for the wrong thing.

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironhead_79 said:
my buddy has some kind of free air satellite thing, on one of the channels you can watch hilights, but he called and told me to walk over they were going to replay the whole match, it was in a different language and picture was fuzzy but you could see fine, when he gets home today i'll find out what channel it is, i have dishnet in the house and directv in my shop and can't find that channel on either one. is the sky channel not available in the usa or am i looking for the wrong thing.

It must be the new FTA satellite reciever.

I have the TVU (computer) player, but can't find Sky Sports on it. Also have Direct TV, no good w/either.

Thanks!

Rick S.

shir

Poolcrazy
Silver Member
from another forum:
In one of the best Mosconi Cup's ever USA retained the trophy after drawing 12-12 with Europe following four thrilling days of pool.

The Mosconi Cup photo rack is now fully updated with more than 200 pictures from all aspects of the competition, including behind the scenes pictures, crowd shots, action images and USA celebrations.

There are also great shots of Earl Strickland's smashed cue and his running battle with the supporters, Corey Deuel sulking and Mika Immonen's reaction to missing the shot that would have won the cup for Europe.

To see all the pictures, click on the following link:
http://www.mosconicup.com/photo_rack.asp

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
Strangely, Ralf's classy but reserved style is probably one reason he doesn't get more credit for one of the greatest playing resumes of any pro in history.

A couple of years ago, I felt that the Hall of Fame lacked credibility because of its failure to induct Strickland. Now, I have the same feelings about the omission of Souquet. Ralf shouldn't have to wait too long.
I had the pleasure of chating with Ralf for an hour or two after the super billiards expo 2 years ago. He is a very layed back and nice person to talk with. Not many other sports where you can chat with the top players in a bar and not be treated rudely. Chris.

shir

Poolcrazy
Silver Member
Ralf is one of the kindest persons I know in the poolworld!

Except when he wants to perform a trickshot when you're lying on the table...
;)