Cue Points

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Is there anyway to tell if a cue's points are spliced or inlaid without removing the wrap? I'm only assuming you can tell with the wrap removed.

Thanks.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
i used to be able tell by whether or not the very tip of the point was rounded or feathery sharp. no machine is going to give you a "feather sharp" cut.

i don't know if cuemakers have found a way around it.

B

Beavis

I am sure some people can tell. But you can inlay a point and make it as sharp as the human eye can see. Its just how much work does that particular cue maker want to put into the cue.

Interestingly enough, there is a cue maker (no names) who has partnered up with some other guys. They are printing woods, points, inlays, you name it on a standard cue. And these look very, very impressive if you dont get right up on them. Kinda curious to see what comes of this process...

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue points.

"VEE" points are normally at 90 degree fitted in the cues forarm bottom. True "VEE" points with be at an angle when looking at them. First look at the top of the point, and see how wide just one of the veneers are, then keeping that in mind, look towards the bottom of the point, you will see that the veneer is wider [ the edge of the veneer] at the lower end, because it's at a 45 degree angle. Another words, it's like looking at the side of it, at an angle. All of the veneers apear to be spread out some what.

Flat bottom points are not at that same angle. They are straight up. The veneer is not layed over, as with "VEE" point veneers. Sometimes it's hard to tell. But if you look close you will see this.

I know of two other cuemakers who can make the flat bottom points come to a real sharpe point. I do both, "VEE" and Flat bottom points that come to a very sharpe point.

The "VEE" point requires one to cut out the back-bone of the forarm. Flat bottom points are just .125 thousands deep and are on the surface of the forarm, leaving the back-bone of the wood..
blud