cues of pro "snookah" players

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
this topic has been beaten to death as far as US pool goes but I was curious as to what the preferred brands of snooker pros are

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
Parris Cues

bigskyjake said:
this topic has been beaten to death as far as US pool goes but I was curious as to what the preferred brands of snooker pros are
Hi there,

There are many excellent quality manufactured cues in Britain, but Parris Cues of London are very highly regarded and broadly recognized as the leading brand - many professional snooker players use Parris Cues or go to John Parris when they need work done on their cue. I also in fact use a Parris Cue.

Parris Cues were one of the sponsors of the IBSF World Snooker Team Championships that we staged in San Jose, California, in August of last year, and John in fact also came to visit the Championships in person.

Best wishes.

Alan.

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
One thing I've never been able to get a satisfactory answer on is why Snooker cues have the flat side on their butt. Anyone care to elaborate on this? Thanks in advance for the info.

PoolSponge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were to hazard a guess it would be to help when using the rest. I find that the flat spot makes it easier to grip a cue when using the rest which is quite common for anyone under 9' playing snooker.

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
JLW said:
One thing I've never been able to get a satisfactory answer on is why Snooker cues have the flat side on their butt. Anyone care to elaborate on this? Thanks in advance for the info.
Hi there,

I actually think it may well be down to tradition than anything else.

One reason behind it is that a snooker cue was developed from the "mace" used in early forms of billiards, which was an implement that was used to "shove" a ball using one end that had a flat side.

Regards.

Alan.

Methodman201

@gmail.com
Silver Member
Alan,
Whats Your Opinion on Peradon snooker cues? I think I would like to get A Joe Davis 3/4 Split. Let me know whats up...
-Vinnie

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
Peradon Snooker Cues

Methodman201 said:
Alan,
Whats Your Opinion on Peradon snooker cues? I think I would like to get A Joe Davis 3/4 Split. Let me know whats up...
-Vinnie
Hi Vinnie and thanks for your question.

Peradon are a very highly respected and well known snooker cue brand in Britain, and have been manufacturing quality snooker cues since 1885.

Although I've never used a Peradon before though, if you would like to buy one then I would say go ahead as it should be a very nice cue. There are however so many cue manufacturers in Britain, and the overall quality of the majority of them are excellent - it's just finding one that suits your preferences.

Best wishes.

Alan.

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do any of the snooker pro's use hard laminated tips like Moori?
I've heard all of them use cheap soft tips.

Nott

Registered
Alan Morris said:
Hi there,

I actually think it may well be down to tradition than anything else.

One reason behind it is that a snooker cue was developed from the "mace" used in early forms of billiards, which was an implement that was used to "shove" a ball using one end that had a flat side.

Regards.

Alan.

This is what I read somewhere also. That way back before long rests and cues excisted players used the flat side to hit the white (macestyle) when they couldn't reach the shot.

Today its just to keep to tradition, and have a place for nameplate. Its also very helpful for players to keep the cue in the same position on all shots. Most players use this and keep the flatside straight up. You will notice that on most ashcues (atleast from top makers) that when holding that flat side up the grain in the ash will be on an "arrowside" with the grain forming arrows pointing towards the tip.

Last edited:

Nott

Registered
predator said:
Do any of the snooker pro's use hard laminated tips like Moori?
I've heard all of them use cheap soft tips.

For years and years snookerpros have stuck to Elkmaster or Blue diamond, but I've heard that pros have started to experiment with layered tips now also. From snookerforums I've read that John Higgins uses Talisman and that O'Sullivan is trying these aswell.

I beleive elkmaster is by far the most used snookertip still though.

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
Nott said:
This is what I read somewhere also. That way back before long rests and cues excisted players used the flat side to hit the white (macestyle) when they couldn't reach the shot.

Today its just to keep to tradition, and have a place for nameplate. Its also very helpful for players to keep the cue in the same position on all shots. Most players use this and keep the flatside straight up. You will notice that on most ashcues (atleast from top makers) that when holding that flat side up the grain in the ash will be on an "arrowside" with the grain forming arrows pointing towards the tip.
That is actually a good point, however I hold my snooker cue consistently flat side down as I don't like looking down the "arrows" of my ash cue. I'm sure I could play just as well that way, but again it's what looks and feels comfortable.

Regards.

Alan.

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
Nott said:
For years and years snookerpros have stuck to Elkmaster or Blue diamond, but I've heard that pros have started to experiment with layered tips now also. From snookerforums I've read that John Higgins uses Talisman and that O'Sullivan is trying these aswell.

I beleive elkmaster is by far the most used snookertip still though.
You are quite right there.

Ronnie O'Sullivan has experimented with other kinds of tips, but myself and the majority of players use Elkmaster, and others use Blue Diamond.

Regards.

Alan.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alan Morris said:
You are quite right there.

Ronnie O'Sullivan has experimented with other kinds of tips, but myself and the majority of players use Elkmaster, and others use Blue Diamond.

Regards.

Alan.

I just played recently for the first time and have easy access to a snooker table, so I will continue.

My thought is to send an antique cue to my cue-maker to create a snooker conversion from. What should I be looking for in terms of weight, balance point, and ferrule width? I have an old pool cue that happens to have an ivory wedge on one side and an ebony on the other, that I'm thinking of having converted.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its amazing to me how much emphsis americans(my self included) put into cues and the snooker players dont, they have a cue is a cue mentality and then they run centurys all the time, i havent seen one, i'm sure its been done pleny of times with an american style cue. i'm not judging anyone just an observation. There is no right or wrong thing here, just interesting how people approach things differently.

I have played snooker with a proper snooker cue and a regular cue(schon, szam, south west etc) and a proper snooker cue is much better and well suited but I havent played with one enough to decide what weight I like or tip size etc, but a soft tip is necessary.

my best inning is 53 or 56 many years ago with a joss,

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that response. Now I'll just go and .... scratch my head some more.

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
runscott said:
I just played recently for the first time and have easy access to a snooker table, so I will continue.

My thought is to send an antique cue to my cue-maker to create a snooker conversion from. What should I be looking for in terms of weight, balance point, and ferrule width? I have an old pool cue that happens to have an ivory wedge on one side and an ebony on the other, that I'm thinking of having converted.
Hi runscott,

Where may I ask are you playing snooker?

Regards.

Alan.

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have also placed an order for a snooker cue from John Parris.:)

I was told that some players also let the flat spot on the butt rest in their grip hand (where the fingers are) when they hold the cue.

I would like to know why is it that hardly do we see any player using a 2 piece cue in the UK? Is it because they believe 1 piece is better? If so, then why do they make 3/4?

Also, in the US, we talk about wood to wood joint and such, while in the UK, it appears to me that almsot all snooker cues employ the metal to metal joint, quite similiar to the quick release joint. Is there any reason behind this?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to go to the UK and learn as much as possible about snooker, it has been a dream of mine for many many years,

regarding the the joint I dont think it makes much difference because of the taper is (conical) and the wood is so stiff that the joint material isnt as important(wood2wood, metal to wood, ivory joint, steel joint etc) and also because the balls are a bit lighter it dosent stress the cue as much when you strike the cueball. When you play with the Big cue ball on a bar table it can make a regulsr cue feel soft because the cueball is so heavy. the reverse is hitting a little tiny light cue ball, your not going to feel it like a big heavy billiard ball or bar table rock. just a thought, opinions?