Design Your Dream

Mcbisi

cue design

Hi, here my cue design for the contest. good look for every one.

Attachments

• cuedesign.jpg.jpg
    cuedesign.jpg.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 652
  • cuedesign1.jpg.jpg
    cuedesign1.jpg.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 646

Mcbisi

please, excuse me, but my english is not good. I`m from Luxemburg Europe. for more information contace me. thanks :smile:

paulybatz

"The Professor"
Silver Member
Dream Gambler

My Dream Gambler Cue

19.5 Ounce
Black/Red Linen Wrap
13mm Shafts
Straight Grain Maple Forearm

4 ebony points: Two Forward, Two reverse points
4 veneers (maple, red, maple, black)

Piloted Ivory Joint 5/16-14 Piloted (played with an older JW with this joint and played incredible...which gave me my initial JW bug!)

Ebony Buttsleeve, with Delrin Buttcap:
Inlaid Silver: JOSSWEST in buttcap

My handwriting is horrible, so if you have any questions Bill do let me know...I hope you pick mine, we have talked so many times about a cue, perhaps this is the way I am able to afford one of yours!

What an awesome thing!
Pauly

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 495

06Busa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top pic is my entry.
Bottom pics shows how the flames on the cue run into each other.

American Muscle cars cue.

Ring work is the Chevy bowtie. I favor Chevy over Ford. And the bowtie looked better there. The others like Oldsmobile & Buick just dont work at all as ring work.

Below the bowties at the joint there are 1 redish and 1 blk ring.
Above and below the handle there are 2 redish, 1 black rings each side of the bowties.
Butt cap has 2 redish and 1 black above the bowties.

This flame design is on both sides. So what you see, just double it.
Flames - Amboyna Burl into a Ebony forearm. The Amboyna will look like real flames how they curl and all.
Flames lined/boardered with silver and a few random flames have V shaped ivory's in the tips for a color change in the flames.

No wrap, Ebony handle.
12 ivory scrimshaw American muscle cars from 68 & 69. I was born in Nov 68, and like today the following year rides are already out in Nov.
The 12 ivory scrimshaws are boardered with silver. Offset like in the picture and placed evenly around the cue at 0/360, 120 & 240 degrees.
Scrimshaw blocks are apx .75" x 1.7"
Cars prefered would be non stock & modified muscle cars.
1 68 Chevelle
2 69 Corvette Stingray
3 68 Camaro
4 69 Firebird
5 68 GTO
6 69 Mustang
7 68 Fairlane
8 69 Charger
9 68 Dart GSS
10 69 Buick GS
11 68 Cutlass 442
12 69 Plymouth GTX

Ebony butt
This butt design contains my initials. CAE, which is also boardered in silver.

JW_Dream_Design_finalrev-2.jpg

Cars in the cue where just what I pulled up first. 68 Olds 442, another 68 442. 68 Ford Fairlane & a 69 Firebird.

Strouddreamdesignrevision-1-1.jpg

Bill, thank you for this. I finally finished my dream cue. Had part of it designed for some 20 yrs.

Last edited:

AnthonyLewis208

I need to speak with the architect of this S-show!
Silver Member
HELP!

I have a design that I think looks good but I have no idea how to make it come to life with a computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

tlewis@vectorns.com

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Once again, thank you Mr. Stroud for presenting this incredible opportunity to the members of the AZB forum. I have a lot of respect for your desire to push the artistic envelope and engaging the many members here was a brilliant approach.

Your motivation for this “contest”, as I understood it, was to issue a challenge the members of AZB to design the most creative cues we can imagine and to challenge your craftsmanship in implementing it. The resulting cue would stand as a statement to the cuemaking community.

My part, as an entrant, was to create a design, somewhere off the beaten path, that provokes thought and engages emotion. IMHO, no topic is more engaging than life itself.

I am not one to normally wax philosophical, but as I age I am coming to terms with (or maybe finally appreciating) the cyclical nature of life. This is the underlying theme of my entry. My entry secondarily touches on the deep impact parenthood has on our lives and our thoughts.

In the spring of our life--childhood, our thoughts are dominated by immediate gratification and border on selfishness. As we enter the summer of our life--adulthood, our focus shifts from ourselves to something a bit more worldly. Before long, we find love, ponder the future, and enter parenthood. Our thoughts shift radically and we become focused on giving to our children, instilling good values in them, and preparing them for the world. In the autumn of our life, we watch our children strike out into the world alone and seek out their own experiences.

These “stages” of life are illustrated in silhouettes along the face of the cue. Silhouettes were chosen to maintain anonymity of the figures. The key point is not what the figures look like, but that they are following the universal path of life. I believe each of us can see ourselves in those silhouettes if we take a moment to look at them deeply.

Although I could speak at great length of the impact child-rearing has had on my life, I believe the following quote, which is featured on the reverse of the cue, sums it up perfectly:

You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents
every time around - and why his parents will always wave back.

~William D. Tammeus

The overall aesthetic choice of black & white was the result of the following quote:

I brought children into this dark world because it needed the light that only a child can bring.

~Liz Armbruster

The following illustrations are of each “half” of the cue, unrolled to show the full surface available to the cuemaker. I hope you enjoy the design whether it qualifies for the final round or not. It was a joy to create and IMO presents design challenges that I’ve not seen tackled before.

PLEASE CLICK THE PIC TO ACCESS A HIGH-RESOLUTION VERSION. You'll need to click the resulting thumb-nail.

A note on construction: All wood is ebony, all text/silhouettes/joint/butt cap are in white, all filigree/rings are in silver.​

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
Once again, thank you Mr. Stroud for presenting this incredible opportunity to the members of the AZB forum. I have a lot of respect for your desire to push the artistic envelope and engaging the many members here was a brilliant approach.

Your motivation for this “contest”, as I understood it, was to issue a challenge the members of AZB to design the most creative cues we can imagine and to challenge your craftsmanship in implementing it. The resulting cue would stand as a statement to the cuemaking community.

My part, as an entrant, was to create a design, somewhere off the beaten path, that provokes thought and engages emotion. IMHO, no topic is more engaging than life itself.

I am not one to normally wax philosophical, but as I age I am coming to terms with (or maybe finally appreciating) the cyclical nature of life. This is the underlying theme of my entry. My entry secondarily touches on the deep impact parenthood has on our lives and our thoughts.

In the spring of our life--childhood, our thoughts are dominated by immediate gratification and border on selfishness. As we enter the summer of our life--adulthood, our focus shifts from ourselves to something a bit more worldly. Before long, we find love, ponder the future, and enter parenthood. Our thoughts shift radically and we become focused on giving to our children, instilling good values in them, and preparing them for the world. In the autumn of our life, we watch our children strike out into the world alone and seek out their own experiences.

These “stages” of life are illustrated in silhouettes along the face of the cue. Silhouettes were chosen to maintain anonymity of the figures. The key point is not what the figures look like, but that they are following the universal path of life. I believe each of us can see ourselves in those silhouettes if we take a moment to look at them deeply.

Although I could speak at great length of the impact child-rearing has had on my life, I believe the following quote, which is featured on the reverse of the cue, sums it up perfectly:

You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents

~William D. Tammeus

The overall aesthetic choice of black & white was the result of the following quote:

I brought children into this dark world because it needed the light that only a child can bring.

~Liz Armbruster

The following illustrations are of each “half” of the cue, unrolled to show the full surface available to the cuemaker. I hope you enjoy the design whether it qualifies for the final round or not. It was a joy to create and IMO presents design challenges that I’ve not seen tackled before.

PLEASE CLICK THE PIC TO ACCESS A HIGH-RESOLUTION VERSION. You'll need to click the resulting thumb-nail.

A note on construction: All wood is ebony, all text/silhouettes/joint/butt cap are in white, all filigree/rings are in silver.​
Amazing idea. I'm older than dirt, with a 9 year old daughter. I can relate to this. Once again. Amazing. Good luck to you. Rod.

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member

~William D. Tammeus

~Liz Armbruster

Amazing idea. I'm older than dirt, with a 9 year old daughter. I can relate to this. Once again. Amazing. Good luck to you. Rod.

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member

~William D. Tammeus

~Liz Armbruster

Amazing idea. I'm older than dirt, with a 9 year old daughter. I can relate to this. Once again. Amazing. Good luck to you. Rod.:bow-down:

shamadam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great contest Bill. Thanks for the awesome gesture. Heres what I have to
offer. Not very flamboyant, but I love it. Snakewood into ebony with black,
blue, purple, and white veneers. Thanks again for the chance to submit Bill.
Dom.

BS1.jpg

BS2.jpg

BS3.jpg

BS4.jpg

BS5.jpg

Train1077

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a lot of great designs to live up to. Mine is very simple, I based it on my love for rosewood (both hit and look) and amboyna, keeping it simple to keep some focus on the beauty of the woods. Also I think the hoppe ring is one of the coolest designs ever on cues.

I think a thin thin ring around maybe a leather or wrapless black handle will really make the cue pop out and look modern.

cuedesign.jpg

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Disregard my first submission in the other thread. This is my real dream cue. I am huge fan and collector of the ALIEN films so this would be it. Scrimshawed ivory.

Attachments

• alien butt duo.JPG
    alien butt duo.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 689
  • cue.JPG
    cue.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 679
Last edited:

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
I'm not sure if this would have to be done with axis substitution, interpolation or 4 (or 4th, there is a difference) axis programing.
The silver veneered "Points" (five of them) twist down to the butt sleeve area, and interlock with each other three times, at the "A-Joint", Handle mid-point and where the Butt Sleeve and Handle meet.
With the interlocking pattern, it doesn't have to be a full one piece butt, as the buckeye burl would "cover up" the 3-piece forearm/handle/sleeve construction joints.
The Front/Handle/Sleeve base wood could be different, as long as it is dark enough for the silver to "pop".
The oval sections don't have to be different from the base wood, and the ivory twists inside of the ovals don't have to be there either.
The buckeye burl (the grayish sections) could be either gray or the bluish burl, which would be my choice.
On second thought, the amboyna burl could be replaced with nicely figured Macassar Ebony, if the base wood were to be African Blackwood (my first choice.)
The "Rings" are Silver and Ivory intertwined.
The sides of the "points" are not straight, but curved.
If this were to be built, the way everything overlaps would keep most of the inlay pieces short, and maybe easier to work with.
Now, the bottom of the design (where it makes a U-Turn and starts back up the cue) isn't set in stone, it was just the best I could come up with.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Last edited:

David Beck

Let us to Billiards!
Silver Member
cue1.jpg

cue2.jpg

I suck at drawing, and all the dimensions are off. The only reason it looks halfway decent is because I got my girlfriend to color most of it.

Joint: 3/8X10 Radial wood to wood with black phenolic collar.

Forearm: Curly Maple

Points: The four long points are Snakewood, with Maple and Ebony veneer, and ivory diamond inlay. Though they're supposed to be skinnier, or the short points wider, so that it doesn't appear that the long points are running into the point of the short points like it does in the picture. The four short points are Ziricote.

Handle: Birdseye Maple

Butt Sleeve: Curly Maple with four short Ziricote points.

Butt Cap: Ebony.

Rings: Top and Bottom rings are alternating Ebony and Ziricote between two Stainless Steel rings. The two middle rings are alternating Ebony and Snakewood between two Stainless Steel rings.

Bumper: Black!

Hope you like it.

Edit: Still unsure if I like the rings. Also, the ring color is off in the picture, but along with my description I think you get the idea.