Does anyone remember a guy named Calvin?

ccshrimper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just thinking about an old pool player I saw in Louisiana a while back, maybe 15 years ago? His name was Calvin something but I can't remember his last name to save my life. Some other guys I was wondering about were John Mccarthy(sp?), Jimmy Sanders, Eugene Browning and Buster Merchant. Anyone heard about them lately?

Thanks for any info!

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ccshrimper said:
I was just thinking about an old pool player I saw in Louisiana a while back, maybe 15 years ago? His name was Calvin something but I can't remember his last name to save my life. Some other guys I was wondering about were John Mccarthy(sp?), Jimmy Sanders, Eugene Browning and Buster Merchant. Anyone heard about them lately?

Thanks for any info!

Was Calvin a white dude or a black dude?

There's a Calvin out here that has some ties to LA, also plays jazz.

Cheers,
RC

jon21588

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played some Scotch doubles with Buster on Sunday. He resides in Greenville, Mississippi and is now driving a truck. He doesn't play pool much anymore.

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
Eugene has been hanging around the Atlanta area for the last few months. Not sure if he is still here or not.

Southpaw

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
ccshrimper said:

Thanks for any info!

Calvin Harcrow

ccshrimper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calvin was a tall white guy if I'm remembering correctly.

Thanks for the info on Buster Jon! I played him at Greenway Billiards when I was 18(15 years ago) and got drummed lol.. I'd just beaten a couple guys there and they sicked him on me. He used a name I didn't recognize, William I think... I figured out I was outclassed after a couple sets and didn't lose too much.

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Are you talking about Calvin & Hobbes? LOL

It's probably Calvin Hardgrove or Hacrow out of Texarkana affectionately known as "Country Calvin". Good player on a bar box with the ol' grapefruit cue ball.

I haven't seen him in years but the last time I did see him, he was getting his clock cleaned by Marco "The Snake" Marquez. Calvin kept changing the cue ball during the match. Marco didn't care. He just keep running out. It was a long time ago.

Stones

Last edited:

sicbinature

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Country Calvin is still in Texarkana. Just played him and some others at Shooters in Texarkana about two months ago.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Calvin Harcrow

What duh???

HOW did you pull that name out, Jay? How could you possibly know who that was with so little info to go on? :confused:

That's downright spooky :eek: Talk about "pool detective"

Joe Louis said "You can run, but you can't hide."
Jay Helfert says "If you play pool, you can't hide."

If you even TOUCHED a cue ball at WalMart, if you ever even walked past a pool hall, Jay will know you.

Nice work too, by the way. As Peter Sellers was fond of uttering as no other could before or since, (when he was Inspector Clousou.)..
"Another case is solv-ved!"

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Calvin Harcrow

Jay,
Did he go by "Country Calvin" if so I sicked Rerack Jack on him while I was attempting to help Jack battle his demons. If it was the same guy it was the only action we got in that town (Kenner? maybe I don't remember)
they played 8 ahead on the barbox for $400 Jack layed down the first set and I overheard "Country" tell his buddy that all he had was enough for the set that's why he was not playing for $500. Jack showed to much winning the second set (hard to show too much 8 ahead on the box) Calvin quit. Jack offered the last two on the big track for 2 dimes. Jack ended up giving him the 8ball playing 7 ahead on the big track for a dime with Country getting staked by half the room. Jack won the flip ran a couple racks, hung a ball Calvin scratched on the 7ball, jack ran 5 and out for the set. We won a dime plus about 200 on the rail. Last action we got in LA. BTW congrats on the Bike tourny finish.

Huck

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
huckster said:
Jay,
Did he go by "Country Calvin" if so I sicked Rerack Jack on him while I was attempting to help Jack battle his demons. If it was the same guy it was the only action we got in that town (Kenner? maybe I don't remember)
they played 8 ahead on the barbox for $400 Jack layed down the first set and I overheard "Country" tell his buddy that all he had was enough for the set that's why he was not playing for $500. Jack showed to much winning the second set (hard to show too much 8 ahead on the box) Calvin quit. Jack offered the last two on the big track for 2 dimes. Jack ended up giving him the 8ball playing 7 ahead on the big track for a dime with Country getting staked by half the room. Jack won the flip ran a couple racks, hung a ball Calvin scratched on the 7ball, jack ran 5 and out for the set. We won a dime plus about 200 on the rail. Last action we got in LA. BTW congrats on the Bike tourny finish.

Huck

Yeah that's the same guy. "Country" Calvin Harcrow. Good pool hustler, one speed under the bar table champions like Matlock. Getting the eight ball doesn't mean much on these tables. The eight ball playing Keith on a bar box was worthless. Ask all the Mexican champions he gave it too.

Better to get games on the wire or odds on the money.

Jack against Keith or Matlock would have been interesting. I don't know if they played, but it's quite possible. I don't think Jack could have hung with either one of them. He played nearly as good, but his psyche was a little frail sometimes when he was getting too much heat.

Last edited: