Does this ad bother you?

Does this type of advertising bother you, that which includes an F-bomb?

• Doesn't bother me, 30 y.o. or younger

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Doesn't bother me, 30-50 y.o.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Doesn't bother me, 50 or older

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Bothers me, 30 y.o. or younger

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Bothers me, 30-50 y.o.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Bothers me, 50 or older

Votes: 15 22.4%

• Total voters

Benelli

I am reading 'they can do what they want', 'it doesn't bother me', etc. What about integrity? If they use such tactics, can I trust them as much as a store that treats people with more respect? For me, no. I am a person that occasionally uses the F-bomb, but in my private with others that I know it's acceptable. I don't go spewing the word in stores, churches, and family get togethers. Because of this, I have chose not to buy from them anymore. Somebody's got to stand up for what is Honorable. I will shop at Seyberts or others. To me it looked and sounded very childish and I don't need that type of business to patronize.
Ok, boomer...

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
No it does not bother me. I'm not a victim of an almost swear word. I kind of like the real world approach. Although pool players are a rather sensitive bunch in general, they may have done well to reconsider the use of humor to sell a very serious product.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banger I appreciate your line of thought but you are fundamentally wrong.
Well if offering good prices and service is the wrong way to attract customers, then I guess I'm just wrong.

That flyer won't affect my buying decisions one way or the other.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banger I appreciate your line of thought but you are fundamentally wrong. You are projecting a belief of what consumers want lensed entirely through your beliefs and views.

This is no different than that dumbass Bud Light marketing Exec that made a massive marketing decision not based on her demographic and segmentation data but her own personal beliefs.

I can assure you that Pooldawg is marketing to an audience that is 35 and under, almost exclusively because that is who is buying a majority of the products they sell.

Are you under 35 years old, not with a Regan quote in your sig file, no you are not...

Quite simply this advertising approach is not aimed at you and that's ok but don't second guess their marketing manager because you don't have one single iota of the data that person is using to base their copy decisions.

Maybe someone from Pooldawg is on this forum and can find out what the unsub rate was from that email and if it was high, lower, or the same as their other email comms...
Yep. Like young bar patron pool players are gonna get butthurt over an f-bomb. Not happening. Pooldawg knows their customer base. I doubt many if any un-sub'd from the email list.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
One demographic is known as "eighteen to thirty-five, alive" Probably pooldawgs target or a bit older on the bottom end. They are looking for young working people with money to spend.

Personally I don't see the need for the word even slightly screened but I occasionally, very rarely use something like screw as a substitute so I can't claim perfection myself.

What I find more objectionable is the word creeping into major media both articles and opinion pieces. The editors could surely clean it out of columns if they wanted to and I think completely bleeping or cutting it in articles and video isn't unreasonable. Even "live video" is often ran on a few second delay.

On the other hand, I still get a chuckle out of the strict censorship of the sixties and seventies sensors and them being ignored sometimes. "Baby we couldn't get much higher" was one thing too offensive to be on Ed Sullivan. NBC I believe was the network Johnny Cash's show was on. He was warned not to sing "wishing I was stoned". He looked up at the writer, Kris Kristofferson in a booth with a grin when he sang it. It was sometimes ordered that Elvis couldn't be filmed below the waist!

Hu

DeeDeeCues

Does this ad bother you? It contains an F-bomb within its body of text, and seems a bit inappropriate due to the fact it reaches all facets of society. Some people might not think twice about it, but others may think it's inappropriate. It just seems a bit unprofessional to me.

They named their company, 'pooldawg'. Suffice to say, they took square aim at the lowest common denominator right from the beginning, and have hit their mark.

Flakeandrun

There are far more glaringly obvious things with which offence can - and probably should be taken - from in the pool world. Someone using the letter 'F' to denote a swear word is probably not high on the list of most people with a fully-develop frontal lobe. I like tit-for-tat, but this thread... :rolleyes: It's a business, they have selected their audience. You don't have to be it :ROFLMAO: If they had an awesome deal that you couldn't leave, most of you would forget you were even upset...

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can be a potty mouth given the right circumstances; puttering around, staring at this screen, at the store, at the bar, breathing, the usual. I read recently that profanity can indicate intelligence. That's enough affirmation for me. :D

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could care less what tactic is being used to separate me from my money. To mebeing frugal just means you understand the importance of protecting your own assets.

What is interesting to me is how gender specific most advertising is. Walk into any mall clothing store and you have to look hard to find the men’s department. Women are targeted far more by advertisers for a specific reason.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The wording in the ad is purposeful to bring in what Pool Dawg knows or assumes their customer base would react to in a positive manner. if you look at the mentality of 75% of the pool playing public here in America you would know that the ad probably was effective.

Any doubts? Just spend a few days reading the posts here or on facebook related to pool - there is a reason golf and tennis far far surpass pool as money producing games - valued sponsors run from pool with good reason today. Ads like this just help reinforce the reason that they all want nothing to do with pool- such a shame - it really is a great game.

DeeDeeCues

How dare they use the letter F in an ad!!! It's a travesty

It isn't, but it can be a turn off. It also isn't clever or funny, so it is just base and lazy.

Also, what is the real message? Are they implying that one's life is so depressing that they might as well just buy a new cue because the person's shitty little existence is basically a list cause?

This is different than the great ads that proclaim that their customers should splurge because they deserve it. This is basically saying, 'hey you piece of shit, you gave up years ago, take the last step and buy a cue from us after you put down the crack pipe.'

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It isn't, but it can be a turn off. It also isn't clever or funny, so it is just base and lazy.

Also, what is the real message? Are they implying that one's life is so depressing that they might as well just buy a new cue because the person's shitty little existence is basically a list cause?

This is different than the great ads that proclaim that their customers should splurge because they deserve it. This is basically saying, 'hey you piece of shit, you gave up years ago, take the last step and buy a cue from us after you put down the crack pipe.'
obviously not their target market so why keep harping about how they do business. they are great outfit to deal with btw. have been for quite a while. they won't lose a quarter or any sleep worrying about those butthurt by an ad.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poor lil thinskinned butthurt. PD is a good co to buy from. Stand behind their stuff. They've hung around while others have faded away. If they read this lame whinefest thread i'm sure they'd be laughing. Probably make them more $$.