Equipment questions for Earl Strickland

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I would like to ask The Mighty Earl a couple questions about his choice of equipment. If there were not any true endorsement contracts such as yours with Cue-Tec,and actually had to pay for your own cues,what would you play with,and why? Also,what was your first cue,and do you collect cues,such as the ones you've used to win U.S Opens or World titles? The only cues I've ever seen you play with were the Cue-Tecs and before that a vast selection of Meucci Originals,beginnng in your days of absolute dominance in Akron,Ohio. I also have a question of a different nature. Back about a year ago,there was a small buzz here on the Web that someone heard you say that with the current state of affairs in the sport,that you might have to start gambling again. If that were the case,which I have heard you say is the biggest downside to the game,is there anyone you would refuse to play for a LARGE sum,enough for it to make good business sense? If you happen to see this post,and took the time to read it,thank you. If you happen to respond,perhaps some of your many fans will gain a better understanding of perhaps the greatest offensive 9-Ball of all time,Earl Strickland.

Warren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy-D said:
> I would like to ask The Mighty Earl a couple questions about his choice of equipment. If there were not any true endorsement contracts such as yours with Cue-Tec,and actually had to pay for your own cues,what would you play with,and why?

hey tommy, while i think your post meant no harm, and was genuine, if you really want earl to answer some of your questions (if he even has the time), i'd suspect you started off on the wrong foot. this is NOT a fair question. would you expect allen iverson to answer the same question on a public board if someone asked "if reebok didn't sponsor you..." this is the type of sponsorship pool, and the players, need. earl just won the pinnacle of all events, the world championships, and used a cue-tec to do it. why would he possibly want to come here and answer a loaded question such as yours?!

i'm not gonna ask kobe bryant if sprite didn't sponsor him, what would really quench his thirst, or if adidas didn't sponsor him, what shoes he would wear. or ask michael jordon if he had to chose any shoe wih no sponsorship, would it have been nike?

i don't think you meant any harm, but i'd advise you, if you want even a remote chance at receiving a true reply from a legend, to rethink your questions and pose them in a non-controversial manner! earl deserves better!

warren..

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I kind of got the same impression. I would never under any circumstances say anything derogatory about my sponsorship in any way shape or form. Believe me, Tommy, the big guys in the offices read what is said in these forums. The WPBA had a board member removed from her position for comments that were made in internet forums. Tiger Woods would never endorse another club other than the brand he endorses. If Earl thought another cue would work better, believe me, he'd already be shooting with it. Earl has been endorsing Cuetec for a very long time, and obviously it is a good relationship between player and the sponsor. Trying to bait Earl into damaging that (Earl Strickland is smarter than that) or to have Earl comment on other cue brands, IS starting off on the wrong foot. As a former pro, I can tell you the subject matter in your question is taboo. Cuetec makes a great product, they sponsor great players, and they have always supported the professional tour and their players despite the trials and tribulations the sport gone through. For that, the company should be commended, and their dedication to the sport should be held in high regard. And while I'm at it,

Olhausen, The Best In Billiards, Featuring Accu-Fast Cushions, The only things that come in more shapes, sizes, and styles than Olhausen pool tables are the people who own them.

eg8r

Registered
While I agree with everything Warren and Blackjack are saying I do disagree with this comment...
If Earl thought another cue would work better, believe me, he'd already be shooting with it.
The true answer will not come out until some day down the road when either Earl or Cue-Tec decides to break the partnership with the other. I wonder if Meucci, or Southwest or one of the other companies offered Earl the same sponsorship if he would have actually chosen Cue-tec. The true answer doesn't really matter, just would be interesting to hear.

Earl I would not answer the question as I am sure you are not going to. Maybe one day down the road your circumstances might make for the right conditions in which you can answer this question. Till then Cue-tec is the cue for Earl.

eg8r

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
BAD equipment questions for Earl.

> After re-reading my post,that was a bad spot to put Earl in,even unintentionally,so I apologize. I had no intention of putting him in hot water with his meal ticket,hopefully that won't happen,but I think I blew any chance of him answering what I thought was a good series of questions. He probably hasn't even seen my post. Tommy D.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
My understanding is that we are going to be missing Earl's comments for a couple weeks. He is getting ready for the big event in Canada next week.

Mike

N

Nineball King

Earl and Cuetec

Basically, when you are a professional pool player, and a cue company offers you a deal to get paid to play with their cue, it really does not matter what kind it is. This is to the extreme, but if a Broom company offered a player a contract to play with a broom, they would probably take it. Earl could play with any kind of cue. I really do not think as talented as Earl is, it would make much of a difference what type of cue he plays with.

I really do not know this as fact, but I have been told Earl plays with Cuetec's straight from the factory. No modifications, nothing different than any other Cuetec that the average Joe plays with. I think as long as a cue is straight, and has a quality tip and ferrule, the cue is not going to hold any top player back from winning.

I know it would be a nice feeling to know that your entry fee and room is paid in full for the entire year. If you have that financial support, you can just concentrate on pool and play with out the pressure of winning just to pay your expenses.

Visit www.nineballking.com for all your billiard supply needs!

Nineballking.com, where the customer is King!

Kevin Whitt

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
I seem to recall reading an interview of Earl about two-three years ago. He said he went back to his "old taper" to get back to his playing level. I would think he was talking about his shafts.
Allison as far as I've read plays with a shortened cue.
I would take a wild guess that the majority of these pros would play with a South West if given choice.

M

Mike T.

"I would take a wild guess that the majority of these pros would play with a South West if given choice."

I have to disagree with this with this quote. Just because one player likes the hit and feel of a certain cue doesn't mean that everyone does. I have heard pro players say alot of good and bad things about many types of cues. But I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Dennis Searings cues (except that they are almost impossible to get). Joint thread types and material differences, shaft tapers, and many other variables make one cue more attractive to players than other brands. I have heard from the good players I know that Southwest cues hit too hard and don't have the feel and feedback needed. But TK and other good players swear by them (well, Tommy probably doesn't swear).
Anyway, I think the best cue is the one that a specific player feels and plays best with.

MIke T