Ever played it??

9balldiva

I play like a girl
Silver Member
In Jacksonville (only at University Billiards) you will see them playing Chicago almost 7 nights a week. Ever heard of it?

They may have tweeked the rules since Bob (from NY) brought it to us:

You rack all 15 balls (1 at the head, and a particular order for the rest). Everyone draws pills (like a ring game). There are 4 games in one set, so each of the four players break and rack. The 1,5,8,10,13,15 are money balls. Then, there are points. The rack adds up to 120 points. So, if team A gets 60 points and 3 money balls...no one pays off, it's a wash!

Teams are formed: When someone makes the 1 ball, the next consecutive money ball to be made becomes their partner. If one person collects all of the money balls, he gets paid 16 bucks by all. If one team gets all money balls, each team member gets 16 bucks.

Money: Most people here play $1 a ball, so the max you can lose on one game is 16 bucks. Sometimes they will do $2...and you could bet as high as you wanted.

It's a fun game, and our players have always enjoyed it. Is there anyone out there that plays it, or has seen it played. I may have some of the rules wrong!!!??
 

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Nope never heard of it. Question.....a game called Chicago, introduced to a place in Jacksonville, by a guy named Bob from New York, that involves money..........Did Bob leave with his retirement secured?:D (J/K)

Terry
 

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Chicago (also known as "money balls" in these parts) has a reasonable following here in NYC. My father was playing it by the late 1950's, and you can be sure it was around long before that.
 

Ronoh

1 brick at a time
Silver Member
Sounds like a modification the the old game called "Rotation". Rotation was played by racking all 15 balls in order, from left to right, with the 1 ball at the head spot and the 15 ball at the back line of balls in the lower right (as you look at the rack)

The rack is played the same way as 9-ball rules.

Points equaled the amount of the number of the ball pocketed: i.e. 1 ball = 1 point, 7 ball = 7 points, etc...

The first to break 60 points won. It was a 2 player game.

With the rules you stated, sounds like a nice hustle. Having to play 2 racks to reach 120 points for two players. With more players (to make a ring game) drawing pills for each rack, a smart player could walk away a lot wealthier than when he/she walked in.

Hmmm... internesting.
 

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tbeaux said:
Nope never heard of it. Question.....a game called Chicago, introduced to a place in Jacksonville, by a guy named Bob from New York, that involves money..........Did Bob leave with his retirement secured?:D (J/K)

Terry

Good job! You beat me to it. I bout laughed my ass off!
 

ARM9BALLER

malakas
Silver Member
9balldiva said:
In Jacksonville (only at University Billiards) you will see them playing Chicago almost 7 nights a week. Ever heard of it?

They may have tweeked the rules since Bob (from NY) brought it to us:

You rack all 15 balls (1 at the head, and a particular order for the rest). Everyone draws pills (like a ring game). There are 4 games in one set, so each of the four players break and rack. The 1,5,8,10,13,15 are money balls. Then, there are points. The rack adds up to 120 points. So, if team A gets 60 points and 3 money balls...no one pays off, it's a wash!

Teams are formed: When someone makes the 1 ball, the next consecutive money ball to be made becomes their partner. If one person collects all of the money balls, he gets paid 16 bucks by all. If one team gets all money balls, each team member gets 16 bucks.

Money: Most people here play $1 a ball, so the max you can lose on one game is 16 bucks. Sometimes they will do $2...and you could bet as high as you wanted.

It's a fun game, and our players have always enjoyed it. Is there anyone out there that plays it, or has seen it played. I may have some of the rules wrong!!!??
When Robb and I went back to his stomping grounds in '94 that's when I first saw the game. There would be a big pile of money ($1's and 5's mostly)underneath the table. I would watch for hours as they would play it most of the day.
 

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Chicago is played high stakes at Miami Bird Bowl. If anyone wants to come down to give the locals in there a whirl, you better know how to speak Spanish.
 

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we play "Razzle" or Chicago as some call it quite a bit...Our rules are you have to move the lowest # ball on the table either pocketing the lowest ball or pocketing any ball then hitting the lowest ball..we don't play with points the 1 and the 5 are partners balls....You pay on scratches who ever sinks the majority of the money balls wins the pot...

Lots of crazy luck happens generally a fun game...
 

9balldiva

I play like a girl
Silver Member
Tbeaux said:
Nope never heard of it. Question.....a game called Chicago, introduced to a place in Jacksonville, by a guy named Bob from New York, that involves money..........Did Bob leave with his retirement secured?:D (J/K)

Terry

We will probably never know!!
 

9balldiva

I play like a girl
Silver Member
Ronoh said:
Sounds like a modification the the old game called "Rotation". Rotation was played by racking all 15 balls in order, from left to right, with the 1 ball at the head spot and the 15 ball at the back line of balls in the lower right (as you look at the rack)

The rack is played the same way as 9-ball rules.

Points equaled the amount of the number of the ball pocketed: i.e. 1 ball = 1 point, 7 ball = 7 points, etc...

The first to break 60 points won. It was a 2 player game.

With the rules you stated, sounds like a nice hustle. Having to play 2 racks to reach 120 points for two players. With more players (to make a ring game) drawing pills for each rack, a smart player could walk away a lot wealthier than when he/she walked in.

Hmmm... internesting.

No, they don't play two racks to get 120...it's the team that has more of the 120. (ie 61-59, 70-50)

If you are a better player than the others...you can walk away with at least 100-200 bucks!

One of the guys makes about 400 a week!
 

9balldiva

I play like a girl
Silver Member
ARM9BALLER said:
When Robb and I went back to his stomping grounds in '94 that's when I first saw the game. There would be a big pile of money ($1's and 5's mostly)underneath the table. I would watch for hours as they would play it most of the day.

That's what they do at UBC. They will play from 9 at night until 6-7-8-9 the next morning!! They have fun, and I have fun watching. When you get some loud, funny guys together...they are always making the rail laugh!
 

9balldiva

I play like a girl
Silver Member
The Kiss said:
we play "Razzle" or Chicago as some call it quite a bit...Our rules are you have to move the lowest # ball on the table either pocketing the lowest ball or pocketing any ball then hitting the lowest ball..we don't play with points the 1 and the 5 are partners balls....You pay on scratches who ever sinks the majority of the money balls wins the pot...

Lots of crazy luck happens generally a fun game...

Very similar then! It is mostly a fun game! Everyone around has a good time!

If anyone is interested in learning AND playing it...you should swing into UBC!! Some nights they will have 2 or 3 tables playing Chicago at once...that's 8-12 people!!! The pool room owner LOVES it!
 

CHIEF1

Registered
The Kiss said:
we play "Razzle" or Chicago as some call it quite a bit...Our rules are you have to move the lowest # ball on the table either pocketing the lowest ball or pocketing any ball then hitting the lowest ball..we don't play with points the 1 and the 5 are partners balls....You pay on scratches who ever sinks the majority of the money balls wins the pot...

Lots of crazy luck happens generally a fun game...
Hey,thats what we called too,we played that every day at bowl haven in somerville mass,great times
 

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I was wondering what the heck game they were playing

I saw them on that table by the rails and I couldn't figure out what they were playing. At first it looked like rotation but they were pocketing balls all funny for rotation. I guess now I know LOL..... I wiwsh I would've known I might;ve asked them to show me so I could get in on the action. I was wondering why no one was asking me to play, I guess they were too busy playing chicago.
 

Ronoh

1 brick at a time
Silver Member
9balldiva said:
No, they don't play two racks to get 120...it's the team that has more of the 120. (ie 61-59, 70-50)

If you are a better player than the others...you can walk away with at least 100-200 bucks!

One of the guys makes about 400 a week!
__________________

:::cues the theme to "Kill Bill" music:::

I have enough to go on, I'll be down in Florida soon. Teach me this game, I'm eager to learn.

:::"Kill Bill" music fades:::

LoL :)
 

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure I've played it, it's a lot of fun. I've
always been curious about the name "Chicago".
No one I've asked seems to know if it was
originated in Chicago....maybe Freddy the Beard
knows?
 

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
9balldiva said:
In Jacksonville (only at University Billiards) you will see them playing Chicago almost 7 nights a week. Ever heard of it?

They may have tweeked the rules since Bob (from NY) brought it to us:

You rack all 15 balls (1 at the head, and a particular order for the rest). Everyone draws pills (like a ring game). There are 4 games in one set, so each of the four players break and rack. The 1,5,8,10,13,15 are money balls. Then, there are points. The rack adds up to 120 points. So, if team A gets 60 points and 3 money balls...no one pays off, it's a wash!

Teams are formed: When someone makes the 1 ball, the next consecutive money ball to be made becomes their partner. If one person collects all of the money balls, he gets paid 16 bucks by all. If one team gets all money balls, each team member gets 16 bucks.

Money: Most people here play $1 a ball, so the max you can lose on one game is 16 bucks. Sometimes they will do $2...and you could bet as high as you wanted.

It's a fun game, and our players have always enjoyed it. Is there anyone out there that plays it, or has seen it played. I may have some of the rules wrong!!!??


The exact same game is played around here only it is called 'odd ball'. All the odd numbered balls are the money balls.
 

9balldiva

I play like a girl
Silver Member
So, I figured the money part out!! With the amount they play with: if you get points (61+) it is worth $2. Then, each money ball is worth $2. So, if team A get points and 3 money balls, it is $8 from Team B. If Team A gets all 7 money balls and Team B gets points, then Team B pays $12.

It'll add up after a while.

When anyone is around JAX, just stop in UBC...I'll be the big brown eyed girl sitting at the rail, or shooting on the 9' table next to the main table!!

Jaden,
I saw you watching them play, and I was about to explain it to you, but got sidetracked. What is wierd about the game is that the better players aren't always the ones who walk away winners. If your partner isn't carrying his weight...you may be paying! Hope you swing in again...I'll introduce you to the guys, and I'm sure they'll let you in!
 

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
9balldiva,

IF you get time and don't mind, would you write up the rules and betting in one post so we can print it and take them down to the pool hall to play with?
 

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just can't go wrong if something is named after Chicago...

"Chicago" the band...
"Chicago" the musical...
"Chicago" the movie...

Then there's food with a Chicago twist...

Chicago deep dish pizza...
Chicago hot dogs

I haven't played the pool game Chicago, but from these examples above, it's guaranteed blast to play. I gotta try it out sometime. :D

Joe <~~~~~ Born in Chicago :)
 
Top