First League game tonight

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
I was invited to join a local bunch that play in a local APA league (again). I finally agreed to commit myself. The game starts tonight at 730. I'm stressing already. Sweaty hands and scattered brains. I was also hoping to have my new contacts by today (that didn't work out). UGH. How do you unwind? We don't use powder where we play. I found my glove, but everyone agrees they are stupid and to be honest it only helps my game marginally.

Am I beyond help at this point?:rolleyes:
Loren

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Oh heavens, don't let it stress you out so much. (Somewhere, someone should be yelling at me "pot meet kettle":p)

I do get it, I want to do well when I play, too, even if its "only league". Try to remember that its supposed to be fun.

Will they not let you use powder where you play? I've heard that hand sanitizer dries peoples hands out, perhaps an option.

Good luck!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was invited to join a local bunch that play in a local APA league (again). I finally agreed to commit myself. The game starts tonight at 730. I'm stressing already. Sweaty hands and scattered brains. I was also hoping to have my new contacts by today (that didn't work out). UGH. How do you unwind? We don't use powder where we play. I found my glove, but everyone agrees they are stupid and to be honest it only helps my game marginally.

Loren

Where do you play? Tampa Tampa?

And yes, you're beyond help. But, so are the rest of us.

Freddie <~~~ hope this helps

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
Well, getting this worked up already is probably not the way to start out. :p Just go and play your game, have fun, do whatever you normally do to relax. If you're already friends with the other players, that will help calm you down- otherwise, do some breathing exercises, have a beer, or do some quick workout things (if that's your thing) to burn off some of the anxiety.

Before you start playing, go wash your hands with soap, and don't put lotion back on, and don't purel or whatever that germ-x stuff is. it doesn't dry out your hands like soap does - and that should help with the sticky skin.

Don't worry about anyone else. Don't worry about trying to impress the new team, or the opponents. Easier said than done, absolutely, but keep an open mind - listen to the "elders" of the team when they give advice.

HAVE FUN!

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i too just joined an apa league after having played for more than 30 yrs....always been one on one or tournament play for all those years. league play is, more or less, nothing more than "fun" play. don't worry about missing shots etc.......just have fun, that is what it is all about in league play. do you use a house cue? if not, then clean the shaft with "magic eraser" with denatured alchohol and then 2000 grit sandpaper.....you won't need powder. have fun! :thumbup:

BrokeStroke

I need the wild 2.
Silver Member
Just stay loose. It's just an APA match. Do your best and don't sweat it. :rolleyes:

The best thing to do if you're not going to use your glove is to wash your hands before the match and dry them thoroughly and make sure your shaft is clean and you should have no problem. That powder is useless and it gets on everything.

Good luck.

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Where do you play? Tampa Tampa?

And yes, you're beyond help. But, so are the rest of us.

Freddie <~~~ hope this helps

Typically I'm at Peabody's in New Tampa. We live by the north end of New Tampa that borders with Pasco county.

Tonight we are at the Bulls Club on Fowler :blush: We've never been there.

We also have an 8 foot slate table at home. And, since Feb we've been practicing at home.

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Brilliant! Thank you and thanks to everyone else for replying

Well, getting this worked up already is probably not the way to start out. :p Just go and play your game, have fun, do whatever you normally do to relax. If you're already friends with the other players, that will help calm you down- otherwise, do some breathing exercises, have a beer, or do some quick workout things (if that's your thing) to burn off some of the anxiety.

Before you start playing, go wash your hands with soap, and don't put lotion back on, and don't purel or whatever that germ-x stuff is. it doesn't dry out your hands like soap does - and that should help with the sticky skin.

Don't worry about anyone else. Don't worry about trying to impress the new team, or the opponents. Easier said than done, absolutely, but keep an open mind - listen to the "elders" of the team when they give advice.

HAVE FUN!

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
OK, here's what you do:
Get there like exactly on time, almost late. Order 2 of your favorite cocktail and slam one tkae the full one back to the table an odrer toO morE
SaLM Aniotheeer and TAake the othe fuel 1 back at table,
Smal boff thems ones And apPoraCH the BAD GuYS Wittth MY Q, I MANE your CUUU adn AX to PLAY now. Buffurst, Gety MORe sumthing form El Baro AN Drenk um up! BAk to the Polo talbe and PALuy your best, NoW ur reddie!

Try to relax, it supposed to be fun. Every team has a clown, they help relieve tension. Have a beer, bring a towel. My guess is that by your second or third shot the table will feel like home and you'll be comfortable, and lose the hand panty. I play pool with a couple of girls that tell me there's nothing like the feel of wood in you hands

dareads

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Loren

Beyond help? Nah, welcome to the club!

If your hands are sweaty then wear the glove. Don't worry about what "everyone agrees...", everyone isn't shooting while you're at the table. If you don't want to use the glove, wash your hands with warm/hot water to break down any oil on your skin and then do a final rinse with cold water and the shock will close your pores and reduce the sweating.

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like many others have said, you're just there to have fun so just play your best game and don't let the assholes get to you (because you'll surely run into some eventually as we all have...lol)

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a hand towel to league,just having it may help cut down on some of your stress..you'll not be focused on your hands any way.if a glove helps your stroke,then wear one..a smooth is a must..have a good evening at league.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
Cinderella seasons

Loren

For 1 thing I totally disagree with your choice not to use the glove, tell Janette Lee her glove is ”stupid” or any other world class player for that matter, and if you know it helps by even the smallest possible margin why not use it? Impressions by others about you maybe; you will lose that attitude real fast in this game.

I was a team captain for 12+ years. I never expected a player their Cinderella season to play well; let alone their debut. This is a new environment; your muscles will act differently. People are going to tell you “relax”, “have fun”, “breathe” and/or drink. Well that really isn’t going to help you win this match. You already have too much external stimulus that has little to do with a table position and finding a solution. Besides if you do as I suggest the relaxing, breathing and having fun will all fall into place. Having a drink or 2 (if you drink) is probably a good idea.

Here is my best advice, keep your mind focused on the shot that is before you as best you can. Only focus on the shot NOT THE GAME OR MATCH just the shot in front of you 1 shot at a time. You can even say to yourself something like “1 position, 1 shot, 1 ball at a time” if you want. You will find this difficult; good luck tonight.

Chagy

Registered
Just hate fun and have a drink before to loosen up of that is your thing. I'm starting to play in a league in the next few weeks it's all about having a food time wining is the best but if you miss a ball no one will be mad at you.

ridewiththewind

&#9829; Hippie Hustler &#9829;
Silver Member
OMG...I remember those early league days well! I used to get so tensed up waiting for the match to begin.

I started getting there just before the match was due to start, and playing 'cold'...no on table practice beforehand. Started treating it like just another night out playing pool. It got way way better.

Now, I usually have a drink before to take the edge off....and maybe one at half-time, and I'm good. Anymore than that is really just too much. And don't slam the drink....enjoy it like you would any other time...you're trying to relax, not get fubar'd.

I am not a big glove fan myself...but I still keep one in my case because many places where I live don't have climate control and the glove is necessary due to the humidity. If you feel like you need it, use it...otherwise, keep your hands washed and dried, take the paper towel you use which should be slightly damp back with you and do a quickie wipe down of your cue's shaft as well....should keep things smooth for you.

Lisa

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
OMG...I remember those early league days well! I used to get so tensed up waiting for the match to begin.

I started getting there just before the match was due to start, and playing 'cold'...no on table practice beforehand. Started treating it like just another night out playing pool. It got way way better.

Now, I usually have a drink before to take the edge off....and maybe one at half-time, and I'm good. Anymore than that is really just too much. And don't slam the drink....enjoy it like you would any other time...you're trying to relax, not get fubar'd.

I am not a big glove fan myself...but I still keep one in my case because many places where I live don't have climate control and the glove is necessary due to the humidity. If you feel like you need it, use it...otherwise, keep your hands washed and dried, take the paper towel you use which should be slightly damp back with you and do a quickie wipe down of your cue's shaft as well....should keep things smooth for you.

Lisa

Again Brilliant!
Thanks all of you have been great help and I've been taking notes. Lisa that's about all I can drink too. :smile:
LL

Raider510

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't worry about the people who tell you gloves are bad or laugh at you for wearing one. It's designed to keep your stick gliding through your hand without getting sweat, dirt, etc. on the shaft.

Big thing in leagues, don't worry about what they say or do, just shoot your game and learn as much as you can. :)