Free CB Lesson

Banker Burt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW

Entry level players?! Bridge-forms are the most difficult to develop for striking the cue-ball; let alone adding stance, grip, arm-positions, head-position, motion and then you gotta aim?

It's like rubbin' your tummy, and pattin' your head (type thing), or driving a stick shift for the very first time. If you don't pactice each bodily function independently before simultaneously putting them together, then who knows what your body might do! (Did I mention the anxiety factor?)

But a much bigger thought came to mind when reading this and the Mark Wilson threads. Some posters have made statements about striking the cue-ball "Hard". IMO this word should not be used to reference striking the cue-ball. If you choose to use this word and strike the cue-ball "Hard" (oww), you better have a solid stance and allot of time to practice.

Watch the pros, or think of when you have played your best pool. It is more about being smooth, where cue-ball speed rarely differs from shot to shot. The pros train very hard to keep their shots simple. In other words, if your speed is good so is your position, and aim will be a much milder challenge.

As far as what type of bridge is best, the cue-ball position on the table will dictate the type of bridge most comfortably allowed. This is where suggestions about developing all type of bridges is essential, and we need to mention the mechanical bridge (Boy, have I seen really good players butcher the use of the M-bridge).

For the fun of it, here is a challenge for all posters reading this stuff. It is relative to the big picture of playing better and being more consistent - IMO.

When playing position, have you ever practiced shooting all shots having the cue-ball return to the center of the table?

Here's a hint - Where do most pros suggest leaving the cue-call after the break-shot?

I am interested to hear what you discover. Break a rack of 8-ball or 9-ball. When the balls stop rolling, place the cue-ball at center table, and then ask yourself how many balls can be easily made from this position.

By the way, I teach a "Fast" cue-ball not a hard hit on the cue-ball.