Guerra Vs. Tonkin

Flakeandrun

What would you choose?

Guerra Ebony and Olivewood Sneaky - 1 X KW and 1 X Maple shaft

Tonkin 4 point - couple of veneers - 2 X Maple Shaft (little perturbed Because it has a wrap, but felt good to me unlike a few others I have tried)

Both same spec as my current main cue (besides the wrap) and both beautiful.

I am going to be splitting my time between two locations and don't want to be checking bags every time... So I am going to pick up a cue for both spots.

Both same price (a good one)

Flakeandrun

Tonkin for resale value. The one that feels better to use as a player.
Just to add - the Guerra is 'as new' and not even had a test hit.
The Tonkin has some signs of usage, but no serious dings or scratches.
Probably won't re-sell, just like my Vigus. Probably hand down, or gift at some point in my life.

You're right, need to have a hit with both, but one is a little far for me travel wise for a test hit. Otherwise I would have done that and probably not posted.

Had a pretty good look this afternoon so far, and Guerra has made some awesome cues, and has good reviews. And Tonkin is Tonkin!

Only have a day or two to make my mind up before it's made for me (as one of the sellers will be having an operation shortly and don't really want to pester him - he has another interested party also)

I'd say from looking around, the price I've been offered for either is a very good deal considering the values I can find.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
would you ask me which girl sitting at the bar is prettier to ask out for a date?
i hope not
use your own instincts and preferences
jmho
icbw
be happy with your choice...(y)

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would you choose?

Guerra Ebony and Olivewood Sneaky - 1 X KW and 1 X Maple shaft

Tonkin 4 point - couple of veneers - 2 X Maple Shaft (little perturbed Because it has a wrap, but felt good to me unlike a few others I have tried)

Both same spec as my current main cue (besides the wrap) and both beautiful.

I am going to be splitting my time between two locations and don't want to be checking bags every time... So I am going to pick up a cue for both spots.

Both same price (a good one)
Come on Man, where's the PIC's

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
is the Guerra a conversion? Most of his cues I’ve seen are plain janes w beautiful wood combos.

DeeDeeCues

And Tonkin is Tonkin!

Not sure that should carry any weight...

Cues are an interesting thing. There is no real 'measurable' value in a cue beyond the materials used, quality/method of construction, and the reputation of the maker. No one cue inherently plays better than another, so most of what you are left with is the rep of the maker...which is important if you want repairs in the future, and should be a huge factor when a maker fucks over a customer.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cues are an interesting thing. There is no real 'measurable' value in a cue beyond the materials used, quality/method of construction, and the reputation of the maker. No one cue inherently plays better than another, so most of what you are left with is the rep of the maker...which is important if you want repairs in the future, and should be a huge factor when a maker fucks over a customer.
I disagree….Cues can and do play better when the cue maker pays atttention to the components and balance. The very
best cue makers know the importance of weight proportionality when building the cue and relying on weight bolts too much undermines a cue’s tactile feel and overall balance. You do not want a 15.8 oz butt matched to a 3.4 oz shaft for a cue weight of 19.2 ozs. Instead, a 15. 2 oz. butt matched to a 4 oz. shaft would be better…..80/20 works great but I even prefer 78/22 & the truly great cue makers adhered to this design. If you doubt it, just check the cues they made over the years confirming it.

DeeDeeCues

I disagree….Cues can and do play better when the cue maker pays atttention to the components and balance. The very
best cue makers know the importance of weight proportionality when building the cue and relying on weight bolts too much undermines a cue’s tactile feel and overall balance. You do not want a 15.8 oz butt matched to a 3.4 oz shaft for a cue weight of 19.2 ozs. Instead, a 15. 2 oz. butt matched to a 4 oz. shaft would be better…..80/20 works great but I even prefer 78/22 & the truly great cue makers adhered to this design. If you doubt it, just check the cues they made over the years confirming it.

Yeah, we all know your opinion on it. You've also stated that you won't buy a cue from an unknown maker, which means that you wait until other people decide that a cue is 'good'.

If you knew as much about how cues played, you'd likely buy from cuemakers nobody has heard of before they became desirable.

Maybe you can tell us all how your 'knowledge' of how a cue plays jive with your apparent inability to tell what is quality. I sure as hell can't reconcile the two.

shooter_Hans

Yeah, we all know your opinion on it. You've also stated that you won't buy a cue from an unknown maker, which means that you wait until other people decide that a cue is 'good'.

If you knew as much about how cues played, you'd likely buy from cuemakers nobody has heard of before they became desirable.

Maybe you can tell us all how your 'knowledge' of how a cue plays jive with your apparent inability to tell what is quality. I sure as hell can't reconcile the two.
Translation: Plz buy my cue

He probably doesn't buy an unknown maker because quite frankly we don't know who they are. They can be a garage cue maker. LOL

He most likely want a serious builder with a workshop.

How many times we hear stories about people building cues out of their spare bedroom in the house?

DeeDeeCues

Translation: Plz buy my cue

I'm not positive I know what you mean by this, but I've never offered a cue for sale in this thread or on this site. I doubt I'd do business with bava, regardless--look at his signature, he buys the same cue every time. Ivory joint, four points with veneers, wrapped handle. I don't do linen wraps, I don't do ivory, and I don't need prima Donna customers.

shooter_Hans

I'm not positive I know what you mean by this, but I've never offered a cue for sale in this thread or on this site. I doubt I'd do business with bava, regardless--look at his signature, he buys the same cue every time. Ivory joint, four points with veneers, wrapped handle. I don't do linen wraps, I don't do ivory, and I don't need prima Donna customers.
Oh

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bava knows what he wants and what he expects and he lets his cue makers know in advance. I know if he saw a cue that met the specs he preferred from a unknown maker and thought it was reasonable he would give it a try and if he was impressed he would have one built. Pretty sure he would have a Cohen by now if he could get it with a flat faced ivory joint and big pin. Nothing wrong with knowing what you like and expect.