Highest 14.1 Run ever in Competition

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I'd call those the highest runs in "almost competition." Where's the opponent?

It's kind of like 10-ball against the ghost: a good measure of ability, but not the same as a real match.

In any case, thanks for posting them. It's some amazing shooting.

Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Evgeny Stalev

"I'd call those the highest runs in "almost competition." Where's the opponent? "

I agree.

You may want to consider Evgeny Stalev's 225 at Steinway last August.

The match was to 150 against Mike Davis

Here's the match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j8BXFhVmx8

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Possibly because most competitions do not go this high.

At any rate Jayson Shaw ran a 227 in Straight Pool on a Diamond at Derby this year in about 58 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oYgBw2aRgY

The next night, Mika Immonen ran a 224 in about an hour and 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91zs-QOQpQ&feature=youtu.be

This was the tenth year of the Derby City Straight Pool Challenge and the highest run up until this year was Darren Appleton's 183 about 5 years ago.

Dave Daya ran 300 and something in the Penn at championship few yrs back ,

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

At any rate Jayson Shaw ran a 227 in Straight Pool on a Diamond at Derby this year in about 58 minutes.

This was the tenth year of the Derby City Straight Pool Challenge and the highest run up until this year was Darren Appleton's 183 about 5 years ago.

Gustav ran 250! not 100% sure at Astoria NY last year,

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Stalev's 224 was part exhibition after he had reached 150.

I understand it is not match play but it is a competition where the highest run gets paid an extra $1000.00. The top three competitors each day are awarded additional money. The top eight competitors go to the next round and match up against each other in a single elimination tournament.

Many have run more, but they were either in exhibition, practice, or they just kept shooting after the game was over.

Anyway, you can call it what you want. In the meantime, enjoy the fine play of both these players, brought to you by the Sponsors and volunteers of the George Fels Memorial Derby City Straight Pool Challenge. $10,000.00 added by sponsors. 100% paid out. All work done by many people for the love of the game.

Thanks to our sponsors, Diamond Billiards, Simonis Cloth, Aramith Balls, Red Shoes Billiards, Bob Jewett, Stu Mattana, Rich Klein, and Stan Haines.

Last edited:

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"100% paid out. All work done for the love of the game."

TAP TAP TAP

THANK YOU DOUG....

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Much as I respect your work/knowledge in 14.1, I also don't feel these runs in any
way compare to actual competition. IMHO - They are less of an accomplishment than
the exhibition runs of Mosconi, Crane, Caras, Greenleaf, et al. who only
had ONE attempt. Even the videoed 100 of Dallas West - he did it on the first try.

Shame there are no detailed records of the block matches where you could run balls
all day, till you equaled the total of your opponent.

Dale
ex

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Much as I respect your work/knowledge in 14.1, I also don't feel these runs in any
way compare to actual competition. IMHO - They are less of an accomplishment than the exhibition runs of Mosconi, Crane, Caras, Greenleaf, et al. who only
had ONE attempt. Even the videoed 100 of Dallas West - he did it on the first try.

Same there are no detailed records of the block matches where you could run balls
all day, till you equaled the total of your opponent.

Dale
ex

Somehow, I think these runs on a diamond are a little tougher than exhibition runs on bucket pockets. Plus how do you know that Mosconi, Greenleaf, Caras and Crane had high run exhibitions with only one attempt.

I guess I really don't care if you feel these do not compare to "actual competition", by which I suppose you mean match play. Though the players are competing with each other to get the high run of the day, the high run of the event and to be one of the top eight players during the 4 day Qualifying stage, I will agree that this type of competition is not the same thing as a match. It is, however the only format we can fit within the confines of the Derby City Classic, where guys have to run off, sometimes mid-run when their one pocket or nine ball or banks or 10 ball match is announced.

We do the best we can to get a good quality straight pool product within those constraints. Some of the best players in the world are there for the other disciplines and we take that opportunity to fit some straight pool into the mix. We know they feel they are competing with the best in the world and we can see their frustration when they come up short.

After the first four days of qualifiers, we then match up the last 8 players in games to 125, and again we have to fit it in around the other main events but we do it and get some guys playing more 14.1 than they would have otherwise and give fans the opportunity to watch runs and matches.

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis,

These uploads of outstanding DCC Straight Pool runs are wonderfully absorbing and informative. Very valuable and much appreciated. You and the many other volunteers connected to enabling and capturing this particular aspect of DCC each year deserve plenty of praise for your labor of love regarding Straight Pool.

Please ignore the gratuitous, smarmy comments that have the clear effect (intended or otherwise) of knowingly diminishing your efforts, and not least, the players' outstanding demonstration of “sustained excellence” which is the very heart and inspirational quality and worth of courageously performed runs like these – whether enacted with an opponent or without.

I know for a fact that several of these self-indulgently deprecating posts posturing as knowing reactions and sound judgments about the relative value of your DCC Straight Pool videos, emanate from particular posters who’ve never even run two racks of this challenging pool discipline, and almost certainly never will.

Such duffers, genuine novices to the unique game-improvement potential of Straight Pool, don’t realize how they are exposing to the world their ignorance of the simple fact that the major portion of the pressure during these “man-killing” tests (to use Mosconi’s classic term) of sustained excellence, comes from within the player himself as he orchestrates all the many nuances of skills and judgments – thousands of instinctive ones during such runs – while he maintains his rhythm and composure under the stresses being situationally imposed on him . . . again, largely due his own expectations and self-demands as he’s absorbed in exhibiting and even newly discovering and elevating the limits of his own potential.

Hope you and your tireless collaborators keep up your efforts, enthusiasm, and the mutual love we share for this classic pool discipline year-round.

Arnaldo

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love these videos.
Everybody who thinks it's not competition should try it themselves. You hear guy run 200+ and you get your ten try beat that... Pretty competitive if you ask me. Also they cost money because entry fee.
Tables are much harder than back in days and that how is should be because balls, rails, cloth is better.

Only thing what I miss to them is commentary what is well done. If you could do that it would be my wet dream...:p

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doug,

These uploads of outstanding DCC Straight Pool runs are wonderfully absorbing and informative. Very valuable and much appreciated. You and the many other volunteers connected to enabling and capturing this particular aspect of DCC each year deserve plenty of praise for your labor of love regarding Straight Pool.

Please ignore the gratuitous, smarmy comments that have the clear effect (intended or otherwise) of knowingly diminishing your efforts, and not least, the players' outstanding demonstration of “sustained excellence” which is the very heart and inspirational quality and worth of courageously performed runs like these – whether enacted with an opponent or without.

I know for a fact that several of these self-indulgently deprecating posts posturing as knowing reactions and sound judgments about the relative value of your DCC Straight Pool videos, emanate from particular posters who’ve never even run two racks of this challenging pool discipline, and almost certainly never will.

Such duffers, genuine novices to the unique game-improvement potential of Straight Pool, don’t realize how they are exposing to the world their ignorance of the simple fact that the major portion of the pressure during these “man-killing” tests (to use Mosconi’s classic term) of sustained excellence, comes from within the player himself as he orchestrates all the many nuances of skills and judgments – thousands of instinctive ones during such runs – while he maintains his rhythm and composure under the stresses being situationally imposed on him . . . again, largely due his own expectations and self-demands as he’s absorbed in exhibiting and even newly discovering and elevating the limits of his own potential.

Hope you and your tireless collaborators keep up your efforts, enthusiasm, and the mutual love we share for this classic pool discipline year-round.

Arnaldo

Best post for any topic ever.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somehow, I think these runs on a diamond are a little tougher than exhibition runs on bucket pockets. Plus how do you know that Mosconi, Greenleaf, Caras and Crane had high run exhibitions with only one attempt.

I guess I really don't care if you feel these do not compare to "actual competition", by which I suppose you mean match play. Though the players are competing with each other to get the high run of the day, the high run of the event and to be one of the top eight players during the 4 day Qualifying stage, I will agree that this type of competition is not the same thing as a match. It is, however the only format we can fit within the confines of the Derby City Classic, where guys have to run off, sometimes mid-run when their one pocket or nine ball or banks or 10 ball match is announced.

We do the best we can to get a good quality straight pool product within those constraints. Some of the best players in the world are there for the other disciplines and we take that opportunity to fit some straight pool into the mix. We know they feel they are competing with the best in the world and we can see their frustration when they come up short.

After the first four days of qualifiers, we then match up the last 8 players in games to 125, and again we have to fit it in around the other main events but we do it and get some guys playing more 14.1 than they would have otherwise and give fans the opportunity to watch runs and matches.

I think you significantly misunderstood my post...

There was no criticism of the DCC Straight Pool event.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Plus how do you know that Mosconi, Greenleaf, Caras and Crane had high run exhibitions with only one attempt."
.....................................................................................................................

This question tells me I must have hurt your feelings - again, my comments had
nothing to do with the validity of the DCC 14.1

Dale

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doug,

Arnaldo

What did I miss?

I do read well enough to have stumbled my way to a degree from one of the better universities in America. Even after re-reading EVERY post I didn't see any hint of negativity towards the DCC Challenge?

Dale

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I also think the Straight Pool Challenge at DCC is exciting and fun, but to consider these runs as anything but what they are would be incorrect imo. When you start with ball in hand on the first break shot that puts these high runs in a category all their own. That said, to run 200+ balls on a Diamond table is a feat of some magnitude, regardless of how it was done.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The number has been beat in this thread several times, but an interesting story anyways.... years ago, George Ellis and Harold Worst were doing an exhibition in downtown Grand Rapids, race to 200. George ran 150 and felt he was finally going to beat Harold. They were long time sparring partners. George asked Harold if he thought he still had a chance to win. Harold said he did, so George asked him if he wanted to bet $50 (good sum back then) on it. Harold agreed, and then proceeded to run 200 and out! Harold got George once again!