hitting into the table

BlackDragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its this. Anybody been playing the cueball slightly deliberately into the cloth to get position. A micromini jump shot, if you will.
I started doing it on straight in shots on the centre pocket where back spin just comes back (no position) or if I couldnt get low on the cueball. Just make the cueball bounce a bit and it kicks off the object ball left or right.
I just wonder if any player regularly or attempts to use bounce to get position in addition to spin or without spin.
Another thing. The break. Easy for me to fly off the table. So I tried dragging the cueball on the break by playing it just a bit into the cloth. Sure it slows my break, speedwise but its smooth and never uplifts.
Spin I'm ok with. I can do. Its this, I'm curious about.
Does everybody hit level anyway? I wonder.

Dhakala

Banned
BlackDragon said:
Its this. Anybody been playing the cueball slightly deliberately into the cloth to get position. A micromini jump shot, if you will.
I started doing it on straight in shots on the centre pocket where back spin just comes back (no position) or if I couldnt get low on the cueball. Just make the cueball bounce a bit and it kicks off the object ball left or right.

It does that anyway if it hits off-center. Jacking up increases the likelihood of hitting off-center.

I just wonder if any player regularly or attempts to use bounce to get position in addition to spin or without spin.

Yes. It's a common technique.

Another thing. The break. Easy for me to fly off the table. So I tried dragging the cueball on the break by playing it just a bit into the cloth. Sure it slows my break, speedwise but its smooth and never uplifts.

Virtually every break shot is a jump shot, because the rail forces one to elevate the cue's butt a certain amount. The CB bounces in a shallow trajectory towards the rack. If it's still airborne when it hits the OB, then it hits the OB above its equator and rebounds upward, often off the table. Throttling back one's break so that the CB lands before it hits the OB is one solution.

Your technique is another solution. You're increasing the angle of the CB's trajectory - bouncing it higher. The increased height means the CB will land a shorter distance from takeoff.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BlackDragon said:
Spin I'm ok with. I can do. Its this, I'm curious about.
Does everybody hit level anyway? I wonder.

I use this technique when I'm playing straight pool and shooting a secondary breakshot where I didn't get enough angle. I jack up about 20 degrees and shoot the shot firmly. This lauches the cueball off the table, then it cuts the object ball in and the cueball caroms airborne off the object ball and lands in the cluster, instead of glancing off. It's even possible to get draw or follow on this shot. Very effective shot.

One thing to be mindful of is when shooting a shot like this, because the cueball strikes the object ball above its equator, you have to aim for a little less cut.