How good do you have to be to beat the 9 ball ghost?

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd bet against almost anybody I haven't heard of playing the ten ball ghost on a diamond in a long race.

I've played well enough to beat the ghost at nine ball three or four times in a row, but lost probably 50 races to ten at ten ball on a tight table before I beat it.

Anyone betting they can beat the ten ball ghost on a tight table is probably at least short stop level in my experience.

Its tough...except for pros who would kill it almost every time on anything but a trick table.

This guy knows what he's saying. This is accurate based on my experience.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what does that mean?

I'd bet against almost anybody I haven't heard of playing the ten ball ghost on a diamond in a long race.

I've played well enough to beat the ghost at nine ball three or four times in a row, but lost probably 50 races to ten at ten ball on a tight table before I beat it.

Anyone betting they can beat the ten ball ghost on a tight table is probably at least short stop level in my experience.

Its tough...except for pros who would kill it almost every time on anything but a trick table.

There are lots of people who can beat short stops, what level do you think that is?
What is short stop speed? B or B+?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol short stop is a master player in the c,b,a,aa,master,pro scale

10 ball ghost on a 9ft diamond is tough action.

If you can do it post up

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... beat the 9 ball ghost in long races, like 10+, at least most of the time... ...
The length of the race is irrelevant if you are around 50-50 for each single game. You will be 50-50 for any length of match. The most accurate way to gauge your strength versus the ghost is to play for a long time and give the total scores (or the win ratio).

If you are 55-45 favorite for a single game, you become more and more the favorite as the length of the match increases. FargoRate has a calculator that shows you how much your chances improve for longer matches.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How close to pro player just by beating ghost on easy table? A long, long, longgggggg way. I can beat the ghost on an easy table and do not want to mess with any pro. When Joey Grey and I played, i lost, er got smoked 9-0. Yeah, I had felt a little pressure, and was down 4 or 5-0 before i even got out of my chair, but i only had 2 chances to even win a game and i blew it. Still, no chance to win. Id gamble on the ghost before i took the 7 and last 3 from any pro.

Amen to that. I played Tony Chohan once at family billiards in a tournament on really tight equipment. At that time I was beating the ghost pretty consistently in a race to 7 on a loose 9' table. I thought of myself as a B+/A- player.

He beat me 9-0. I missed some shots because I wasn't used to the tight pockets, but if I had played my absolute best I think he would have still beaten me 9-2 or 9-3.

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a few guys that can beat the ghost, but they don't fair so well in match ups against players that I consider good players but way below Pro speed and I do mean way below.

One of the guys gets the 7 ball from a top tier player in the area and they break even???

Good point.
A player can beat the ghost a majority of the time, and still struggle with B players.

A) you're not getting BIH and the breaks in most matches.

B) while playing the ghost, a player is neglecting a very important aspect of being a pro-level player, defensive play and strategy.

With that said, I believe playing the ghost is one of the most effective way to practice alone. Just also practice your safety play.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might not be a good tool..,

Amen to that. I played Tony Chohan once at family billiards in a tournament on really tight equipment. At that time I was beating the ghost pretty consistently in a race to 7 on a loose 9' table. I thought of myself as a B+/A- player.

QUOTE] I don't think the ghost is a good way to measure your game, I agree with the guy who posted "play someone who is known" then you can asses your skill.

Dennis O game Tony the 7,9,10 at Big Tymes. The first set was close.., the second set was a blow out, Tony had no chance. I couldn't believe it. Once Dennis got going he never missed and Tony came to the table to rack or kick.

I'm sure Tony can beat the Ghost, but Dennis is tougher.

PocketPooler

Silver Member

He beat me 9-0. I missed some shots because I wasn't used to the tight pockets, but if I had played my absolute best I think he would have still beaten me 9-2 or 9-3.

Joey ran his first 4 racks dropping the wing ball, one ball within a diamond of the lower left corner, and cueball cemter table behind head string. 4 racks almost identical. 15 minutes tops 4-0. Those guys are sick. Doesnt matter how well you play the ghost if you cant see a ball. Race to 9. I got 4 innings, one was playing a safe that he had to masse to get iut of. ( He hit it and safed me back), following inning gave him ball in hand from hos lockup. Brutal. So in essence i really had 2 innings on a race to 9. Rattled the 6 in my first trip to the table. Dont remember my other miss. Warming up i prolly ran out 4 or 5 racks in a row just throwing them out. Even caught a few eyes in the crowd. Did me little good. Once he put the 4 on me, i was mentally done. Thats what a pro can do that good players dont. Beat you before you even get to the table.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey ran his first 4 racks dropping the wing ball, one ball within a diamond of the lower left corner, and cueball cemter table behind head string. 4 racks almost identical. 15 minutes tops 4-0. Those guys are sick. Doesnt matter how well you play the ghost if you cant see a ball. Race to 9. I got 4 innings, one was playing a safe that he had to masse to get iut of. ( He hit it and safed me back), following inning gave him ball in hand from hos lockup. Brutal. So in essence i really had 2 innings on a race to 9. Rattled the 6 in my first trip to the table. Dont remember my other miss. Warming up i prolly ran out 4 or 5 racks in a row just throwing them out. Even caught a few eyes in the crowd. Did me little good. Once he put the 4 on me, i was mentally done. Thats what a pro can do that good players dont. Beat you before you even get to the table.

Sounds like my match. I think I missed two balls and those were my only real opportunities at the table. Last game I missed a straight in 9-ball after running from a kick-in on the 3 ball...

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The length of the race is irrelevant if you are around 50-50 for each single game. You will be 50-50 for any length of match. The most accurate way to gauge your strength versus the ghost is to play for a long time and give the total scores (or the win ratio).

If you are 55-45 favorite for a single game, you become more and more the favorite as the length of the match increases. FargoRate has a calculator that shows you how much your chances improve for longer matches.

Oh no! Not this again!!!

There are lots of people who can beat short stops, what level do you think that is?
What is short stop speed? B or B+?

In my world the short stops EASILY give the A players the 7.

I played Mike Davis ( Great dude BTW ). Either I broke and ran out or he broke and scratchEd and I ran out can't remember but either way I was up 1-0 and feeling good about it lol. That was the end of feeling good. Literally, rest of set I shot Twice - kicking . Wasn't even remotely close, least I got 1!!!! Lol

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "able to run out most racks with ball in hand" level. I'd say solid to good B level. Some might call that A level. Whatever you call it, it's a pretty good player but not near a pro. Right around Fargorate 600, maybe a little lower.

"able to" is B level. Likely to is "A" level.

KMRUNOUT

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either:

1. You are not actually terrible.

or.

2. You can not beat the 9 ball ghost most of the time or play the 10 ball ghost even.

Terrible and these types of skill sets are mutually exclusive.

Compared to a pro player I am terrible. They can beat me easily, Compared to a banger I can hold my own. The comparison was made to a pro player. There are a lot of players out there that can beat me and I am not going to say I'm great at this game because I'm not.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or he thinks he gets ball in hand after every shot ;)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I have video proof that I can beat the 10 ball ghost.I also lose to the 10 ball ghost but the sets are usually close. I don't share it because I choose not to. I don't gamble I only play for fun, and for me fun is just playing pool win or lose. I don't have a fargo rating and I rarely play outside of my home.

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Compared to a pro player I am terrible. They can beat me easily, Compared to a banger I can hold my own. The comparison was made to a pro player. There are a lot of players out there that can beat me and I am not going to say I'm great at this game because I'm not.

Gotcha….Then I agree… You can be able to beat the ghost and still get destroyed by a top pro player. That is why I asked the question earlier about players such as Danny Smith or Shane McMinn.. GREAT players…… but can both be spotted by the TOP pro's in rotation games I'm sure…..

After watching Shane give Corey the 5 ball playing 10 ball it became quite evident that there is a huge difference in the elite top players and other pro players. That is why I think using some of the rating systems on AZ are to limiting.. not enough divisions to make the distinctions between top elite players, great pro players, pro players, and short stops.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotcha….Then I agree… You can be able to beat the ghost and still get destroyed by a top pro player. That is why I asked the question earlier about players such as Danny Smith or Shane McMinn.. GREAT players…… but can both be spotted by the TOP pro's in rotation games I'm sure…..

After watching Shane give Corey the 5 ball playing 10 ball it became quite evident that there is a huge difference in the elite top players and other pro players. That is why I think using some of the rating systems on AZ are to limiting.. not enough divisions to make the distinctions between top elite players, great pro players, pro players, and short stops.

Exactly I played Shane Winters in a tournament race to 9 a few months back, I lost 9-6. The difference was I made 2 mistakes and he only missed 1 very thin cut on a ball. However I know he plays better than me. He is a great player but in my opinion he is still not the caliber of a top pro and I don't in any way mean that disrepectful.