Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It depends on the width of each bead. I've seen seriously different widths. I think the usual is about the width of the tip or half an inch. The tens beads are wider.

I looked online and the people selling beads seem mostly unwilling to tell you how big the beads are. One site (Pooldawg) does say that you need about 70 inches for the standard 100-bead set. Does the site you bought from say anything?

If you are playing 14.1, I think you will need more than six inches of space if you keep the rack score on the beads. Each color needs two sections of bare string, so 8 to 12 inches for each set. If you are moving the beads by hand, maybe not so much.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
today's common pool player has no idea what the beads are and how to use them.............. and very few pool halls have them hanging any more............................ they put up 10 whiffle balls on a string and call it a day

Kim

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you need to save some room you could do this;

Attachments

• 2F22785F-0838-46D3-864B-D2C83D9A3AFC.jpeg
    2F22785F-0838-46D3-864B-D2C83D9A3AFC.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 102

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Folks, looking for some info here. Can someone please tell me how wide in inches half of a wood bead score counter (the kind with 50 beads to keep score in straight pool), how wide is half the beads? Just looking to see how wide half of it would be then I figure plus or minus 6 inches on top of that to slide them back and forth. Building a shelf to mount them and the damn post office has had my package with the beads in it for almost a month now. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The old timey 14.1 wood beads that hang on a string / wire above the table measure just slightly more than 1/2 inch wide each, about 56-57 inches total for 100 beads plus the center marker. You would need at least 75 inches total from one end to the other

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
My beads are just about 32" per color. ~64" total. I use an 8' section for them to slide both directions. I mounted with turn buckles on both sides.

-td

Beads.jpg

Attachments

• Beads2.jpg
    Beads2.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 86

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player 1 on left and player 2 on right.
Top beads worth 1 point
Bottom beads worth 10
Reuse the top 1 point beads as needed.

100 plus points

Attachments

• 89E6C1B1-D96D-41F0-9A9E-4611D23D2FDF.jpeg
    89E6C1B1-D96D-41F0-9A9E-4611D23D2FDF.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 74

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Player 1 on left and player 2 on right.
Top beads worth 1 point
Bottom beads worth 10
Reuse the top 1 point beads as needed.

100 plus points
It is absolutely possible to do it that way with only 20 beads per player if space is an insurmountable issue. It is also possible to do it with only 7 beads per player if you don't go past games to 128 ;) . It is also possible to keep score mentally, which I have had to do.

Actually if space is a big issue, I'd go for a counter posted previously which was the usual GC scores wheels mounted in a nice wood frame.

But I really prefer the traditional string of 50 beads per player.