I'm gravitating back to harder tips.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
After trying everything from Elk Master's to Moori hard tips I think I'm done experimenting and settling on a tip in the hard to medium range. After a fair amount of extensive use on my various house cues tipped with many different brands of tips, I've come to like the Sniper tip as my tip of choice, followed closely by a Moori medium (which, to me, seems kinda hard) or an Everest. Funny thing is, when I first used the Sniper, I was ready to cut the darn thing off after a few racks. It slowly grew on me. It moves the cue ball around very well, holds chalk well, and so far is holding up well as far as durability goes. The Everest is also a good tip, actually IMO better than the Sniper in most categories. It just don't hold up as well under heavy use. I had previously preferred a Triangle tip and still believe it to be a nice tip, but I'm finding that I can pocket the longer, straight-in type shots easier with a stiffer hitting cue, ergo the preference for a harder tip. I've quit trying to move the cueball around so much and am trying to get better shape using more draw/follow which can be accomplished with most availiable tips on the market, opting to sacrifice ball movement for ability to pocket the long, straight shots more consistently. Just posted this for no reason in particular.

Maniac
 

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you know triangle is a harder tip than sniper, everest, and moori. also its the only non layered and the only leather out of the bunch.
info on those tips in case you where wondering:

triangle: hardness 81.4, non-layered leather
sniper: 66.9, layered boarhide
everest: 75.1, 9 layeres pigskin
moori M: 74.2, 9 layers pigskin

so really based on your statements above, you are leaning to a preferance to softer tips as sniper is the softest of the bunch.
 

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
I just recently switched from a Triangle to a Sniper tip and I love the Sniper. It took a little getting used to, but I feel I can do alot more with the cueball now. JMO.

Southpaw
 

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i switched from moori to sniper on one of my shafts. i used the sniper for about 2 months and then tried my other shaft with the moori. i have to say i like the moori on slow to normal tables and the sniper on real fast tables. the moori seems to get a little more spin and i like the harder hit. as far as the holding up goes, the sniper wins hands down. i wish they would make one a little harder, it would be perfect.
 

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
socks said:
you know triangle is a harder tip than sniper, everest, and moori. also its the only non layered and the only leather out of the bunch.
info on those tips in case you where wondering:

triangle: hardness 81.4, non-layered leather
sniper: 66.9, layered boarhide
everest: 75.1, 9 layeres pigskin
moori M: 74.2, 9 layers pigskin

so really based on your statements above, you are leaning to a preferance to softer tips as sniper is the softest of the bunch.


Actually when used quite often the everest and sniper tips become quite hard. I use an everest myself and I don't know a single soul alive who thinks my tip is soft.

Tony
 

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
Personally, I really prefer hard tips too. I used to get the Sumo a lot, and recently I finally tried a Moori. Started out with the Moori M, and then a couple of weeks ago I had a Moori Q (hard) put on.

So far, I really like the Moori Q. After maybe 30 hours of play so far, it has hardly changed shape at all, which I like, because I hate dealing with trimming the mushroom caps.

I think of all the tips I've tried (which isn't really all that many different ones) the Moori Q has played the best right out of the gate. With other tips I've tried, I've usually had to get to where the tip is at least about half-way gone before I'm really happy with how it plays. I'm guessing it's because the Moori Q is harder, but I don't know.

Once I've warn this one out, I'd like to try a Sniper since everyone seems to love them. So far though, I think it will be tough to beat the Moori Q for my tastes. JMO.
 

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mystick Cue Fan said:
Actually when used quite often the everest and sniper tips become quite hard. I use an everest myself and I don't know a single soul alive who thinks my tip is soft.

Tony
you are correct, my sniper felt like a sponge when it was new. it did harden up. but on the other side of the coin, moori's also get harder. i cant say anything about triangles since the last time i used one was on a joss cue that i had when i first started playing, but as far as moori med and sniper, after each are broken in, the moori with be a little harder.
 

jingle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mystick Cue Fan said:
Actually when used quite often the everest and sniper tips become quite hard. I use an everest myself and I don't know a single soul alive who thinks my tip is soft.

Tony

I agree, when Snipers are freshly installed they are too soft for me. But, after many hours of play they firm-up and play just the way I like.
 

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuebacca said:
Personally, I really prefer hard tips too. I used to get the Sumo a lot, and recently I finally tried a Moori. Started out with the Moori M, and then a couple of weeks ago I had a Moori Q (hard) put on.

So far, I really like the Moori Q. After maybe 30 hours of play so far, it has hardly changed shape at all, which I like, because I hate dealing with trimming the mushroom caps.

I think of all the tips I've tried (which isn't really all that many different ones) the Moori Q has played the best right out of the gate. With other tips I've tried, I've usually had to get to where the tip is at least about half-way gone before I'm really happy with how it plays. I'm guessing it's because the Moori Q is harder, but I don't know.

Once I've warn this one out, I'd like to try a Sniper since everyone seems to love them. So far though, I think it will be tough to beat the Moori Q for my tastes. JMO.
the moori q is the next tip ill try out. the only reason i have been holding back is that im afraid of more mis-cues. how is it as far as that goes?
 

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mystick Cue Fan said:
Actually when used quite often the everest and sniper tips become quite hard. I use an everest myself and I don't know a single soul alive who thinks my tip is soft.

Tony

all tips start out softer and harden up as you play them. its called compresion. if you dont want them to start out softer, ask for them to be pressed before being installed. this not only decreases mushrooming, it also speeds up the compresion process so the tip will play more consistant.

cueman said:
If you press a Medium Moori what you have is a medium Moori that plays instantly like it will after 10 or 20 hours of pounding it against the cue ball.
If you press a Soft Kamui what you have is a soft Kamui that plays instantly like it will after 10 or 20 hours of pounding it against the cue ball.
Unless you want to change your tip every few hours of play, to maintain that out of the box feel. You might as well press them if they need pressed to prevent mushrooming, as they will get that hard anyway in a short time. Tips are like long distance runners. It does not matter as much how fast they run the first 100 yards, it matters how they run after the longer distance.
As far as the original question: I use Loctite Super Glue Gel or Loctite 454 for thicker glues for normal leather tips, and Loctite Professional for applications where a thinner glue works better like on Phenolic tips.
 

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
socks said:
you know triangle is a harder tip than sniper, everest, and moori. also its the only non layered and the only leather out of the bunch.
info on those tips in case you where wondering:

triangle: hardness 81.4, non-layered leather
sniper: 66.9, layered boarhide
everest: 75.1, 9 layeres pigskin
moori M: 74.2, 9 layers pigskin

so really based on your statements above, you are leaning to a preferance to softer tips as sniper is the softest of the bunch.

I am NOT trying to debate the hardness scales, but I am only referring to "perceived" feel as of my personal observation. I have found that the hardness scales as opposed to what the tips ACTUALLY feel like can be two totally different things. Just my opinion of course.

Maniac
 

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
Ant812 said:
the moori q is the next tip ill try out. the only reason i have been holding back is that im afraid of more mis-cues. how is it as far as that goes?

Good question! So far so good. I can only think of one single mis-cue so far, but I hadn't chalked in a couple of shots, and I was just lazily whacking the balls around at the end of a session without really paying attention.

FWIW, I use a dime shape, normally chalk before every single shot, and tend to use a lot of spin (more than I probably should). So all things considered, mis-cuing has been a non-issue for me so far. :)
 

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Maniac said:
After trying everything from Elk Master's to Moori hard tips I think I'm done experimenting and settling on a tip in the hard to medium range. After a fair amount of extensive use on my various house cues tipped with many different brands of tips, I've come to like the Sniper tip as my tip of choice, followed closely by a Moori medium (which, to me, seems kinda hard) or an Everest. Funny thing is, when I first used the Sniper, I was ready to cut the darn thing off after a few racks. It slowly grew on me. It moves the cue ball around very well, holds chalk well, and so far is holding up well as far as durability goes. The Everest is also a good tip, actually IMO better than the Sniper in most categories. It just don't hold up as well under heavy use. I had previously preferred a Triangle tip and still believe it to be a nice tip, but I'm finding that I can pocket the longer, straight-in type shots easier with a stiffer hitting cue, ergo the preference for a harder tip. I've quit trying to move the cueball around so much and am trying to get better shape using more draw/follow which can be accomplished with most availiable tips on the market, opting to sacrifice ball movement for ability to pocket the long, straight shots more consistently. Just posted this for no reason in particular.

Maniac

I like the Sniper best when it's worn in and shaved down a little. They get quite a bit harder when they're thin. Mine shows 4 layers on the side. I never have mushrooming on it. I tried Everest but they were not as durable. I'll just scruff the Sniper occassionally and rarely miscue.

Chris
 

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
socks said:
all tips start out softer and harden up as you play them. its called compresion. if you dont want them to start out softer, ask for them to be pressed before being installed. this not only decreases mushrooming, it also speeds up the compresion process so the tip will play more consistant.


Fully aware of that, but I was just stating that because some people start off with a tip and judge it from it's first few hits. My statement was for all those people that hit a few balls with a new tip and don't like how soft it plays. To let the compression process take place and then let them judge the tip. My Everest is as hard as a rock. But for someone who has just had one installed, they would never guess mine was an everest. So for all you guys who like harder tips. Let your tips compress a bit before judging them to be too soft.

Tony
 

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I play Moori M. Like them because they gradually break in to a Moori Q, and they're a hair thicker than the Qs once they're broken it.

I've had nothing but bad luck with Tiger tips. The sides of the tips are always weak - you can spread the layers slightly with gentle thumb pressure. Plus, they make a sound on hard shots that is annoying. I only stock two layered tips - Moori or Kamui. After that, I'll take a Triangle over a Tiger, even if they were the same price.
 

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
This may sound strange, but has anybody ever noticed a change in your aiming precision when you changed tip hardness? After doing some aggressive shaping on the Moori Med. and Sniper tips on my two main shafts, my game started sliding a bit. At the hall doing drills, I just couldn't find the center of the pocket consistently. I decided to take a break from drills, and play some 8-ball against the ghost. In frustration, I broke and continued shooting with my break cue. My accuracy improved noticeably. Similar weight, balance and shaft on the break cue. The big difference is a x-hard Sumo tip rather than the above mentioned tips on my play shafts. I switched cues back and forth a few times, went from cut drills to games, and I'm definitely hitting pockets cleaner with the hard tip. Can't explain it. Has to be some error in fundamentals or stroke somewhere, that the hard tip is compensating for. Anybody else ever notice such a thing? Until I can figure it out, I'll just ride with it. Just installed a pressed Talisman Hard on a spare shaft to try tomorrow night. Any ideas or theories?
Bill
 

BPG24

Banned
Maniac said:
After trying everything from Elk Master's to Moori hard tips I think I'm done experimenting and settling on a tip in the hard to medium range. After a fair amount of extensive use on my various house cues tipped with many different brands of tips, I've come to like the Sniper tip as my tip of choice, followed closely by a Moori medium (which, to me, seems kinda hard) or an Everest. Funny thing is, when I first used the Sniper, I was ready to cut the darn thing off after a few racks. It slowly grew on me. It moves the cue ball around very well, holds chalk well, and so far is holding up well as far as durability goes. The Everest is also a good tip, actually IMO better than the Sniper in most categories. It just don't hold up as well under heavy use. I had previously preferred a Triangle tip and still believe it to be a nice tip, but I'm finding that I can pocket the longer, straight-in type shots easier with a stiffer hitting cue, ergo the preference for a harder tip. I've quit trying to move the cueball around so much and am trying to get better shape using more draw/follow which can be accomplished with most availiable tips on the market, opting to sacrifice ball movement for ability to pocket the long, straight shots more consistently. Just posted this for no reason in particular.

Maniac


I totally agree, about using harder tips... It allows you to use a shorter more accurate stroke to move the cueball around....
And certain shots are possible with harder tips, that just can't be done with an elkmaster
 
Last edited:

219Dave

Pool is my therapy
Silver Member
I play with a moori m now, but was thinking of trying out the kamui medium soft. Can anyone here compare those two for me?
 
Top