Is this a foul ?

joel19350

Registered
To play a safe and avoid a double hit, a good trick is to softly hit the cueball from below center...using the bridge hand as a fulcrum and drooping the butt to send the cue tip up, sending the cue ball forward. This seems to be accepted as legal.

Suppose the cueball and object ball are too far to reach with a normal grip...this is the question:

Can you lay the cue flat on the table, then perform the above safety shot by picking up the ferrule, causing the tip to hit the cueball from below center and sending the cueball forward (a small distance) ?

To me this seems both illegal and ridiculous, but its hard to find the correct rule, best I find is 1.3 "may not use equipment in a manner other than intended", and 2.15 inappropriate use of equipment.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Joel

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After contact you need a ball to touch the rail. You need strenght to do that. If you do it too fast, you are making an illegal jump by shoving the CB. If you do it too slow, you are pushing the CB (CB stays to long in contact with the tip), not hitting at it. Both are fouls.

joel19350

Registered
your points are understood, and this is not a jump shot.

the 2 balls are close, say 1/2" from each other and the obj ball 1/2" from the end rail, you just want to tap the cueball causing obj to touch the rail without a double hit. add to this the inablilty to reach this shot, thus the idea to lay the stick flat on table in position to make this shot, then lift the ferule to cause the hit.

sodapopd

Un-Registered Cue User
Silver Member
I guess it all depends on which rules you go by. The BCA league recently updated their rules and this was one of the areas that they clarify.

1.18.JPG

Is this what you were explaining?

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
as long as the tip, and not the ferrule, is striking the cue ball in a forward motion it should be a good hit. doesn't matter if you're holding the ferrule or the rubber butt-cap.

joel19350

Registered
yes, this is it exactly. where do you find this rule, i have the 07 BCA 8 ball rules and do not see it there.

thanks,

Joel

sodapopd

Un-Registered Cue User
Silver Member
joel19350 said:
yes, this is it exactly. where do you find this rule, i have the 07 BCA 8 ball rules and do not see it there.

thanks,

Joel

It is available online at playbca. Not sure when the updated rule book will be available for sale, but you should be able to print it out from their web site.

tom

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
Dude...I don't know the bca rules,but I think I'm picturing what you are saying.

Now I gotta know...how short do you have to be for this to become the best option?

bubsbug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I performed that shot on the 8ball last week. we were both on the 8. I got lucky and froze the 8 to the cb which were froze to the rail. I actually lait the cue flat on the table and lifted the ferrule straight up. I won the game. Not sure about BCA buts its legal in APA.

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bubsbug said:
I performed that shot on the 8ball last week. we were both on the 8. I got lucky and froze the 8 to the cb which were froze to the rail. I actually lait the cue flat on the table and lifted the ferrule straight up. I won the game. Not sure about BCA buts its legal in APA.

If the 8ball was frozen to the rail, I would consider it as a foul, by not hitting a rail after striking the CB. If the CB was frozen to the rail, than why you applied this shot? You can just strike the balls without having a foul.

joel19350

Registered
obj ball is near but not on rail, cue ball is near but not touching obj ball.

on a 9" table, with the 2 balls near the center of an end rail is when this might come up.

txspaderz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a player do this in a Tournament one time to avoid a double hit... It was APA rules, so it's legal in the APA format