Jason Shaw's stance on the Mosconi Cup

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if this little snippet of audio has been posted before, but I found it interesting to hear his point of view.

https://youtu.be/fqCLxB2J60o?t=34m18s

It's not very long, but he explains why he doesn't care for it.

He also goes on to make a mention of the Ko brothers' youngest brother.

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if this little snippet of audio has been posted before, but I found it interesting to hear his point of view.

Makes sense, Mosconi's not a cash cow if one needs to travel a lot to qualify.

While it's my favorite US Pool TV experience, the 9-ball game is still too much of a break and kick fest for my liking.

One step at a time.. I'm glad the event exists.

Colin

anbukev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the captain/coach of the team get to pick the last 2 members? What Jayson Shaw said makes sense. He resides in the U.S. so it would be costly for him to go back to Europe to play in events to qualify for Mosconi Cup. What If Shane Van Boening relocates to another country and doesn't go back to the U.S. to qualify? Would they exclude him because he doesn't play in U.S. events?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He makes good points
Points should be earned by player regardless of whether they play in US or European soil . In fact they should have same list of tourneys whether in US or Europe that players can earn points from rather than have 2 different sets of qualifying events for each team
Best thing for a player about MC is bragging rights when make the team and a guaranteed big payday but in terms of prestige other team tourneys like WCOP. World Teams more prestigious

Also agree with his comment that Big Ko has better break than Shane
Here is example. Each break Ko has shot on 1 ball and CB away from rails
https://youtube.com/watch?v=QDmhsf9HTRU

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well since i'm the outcast i'll just come out and say it.
I couldn't disagree more. Cause you play all the other events without an ultimate goal, no grand finale so why wouldn't you take part in ones that grant you points for a prestigious event. And breaking even, what, are you saying that you'll go to these other events and not make a dime, it's points isn't it? the higher you finish the more you get, or am i missing something "as usual, right".

The only thing i agree on is that it shouldn't matter where you play as long as you get the point. Now I'm not to up on how the whole thing works but a) aren't there points events here in the states b) don't the euros have to play here also if they want to better their chances and get more points.

The problem with these high skilled low tier players is sponsorship IMO, present yourself in a manner that will allow for you to travel if need be "like DAZ" and do what you have to do, you're self employed as far as i'm concerned and need to pimp yourself to do what needs to be done to take care of your family. Don't get caught up with how americans do things cause we see how that's working out for almost all of them.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well since i'm the outcast i'll just come out and say it.
I couldn't disagree more. Cause you play all the other events without an ultimate goal, no grand finale so why wouldn't you take part in ones that grant you points for a prestigious event. And breaking even, what, are you saying that you'll go to these other events and not make a dime, it's points isn't it? the higher you finish the more you get, or am i missing something "as usual, right".

The only thing i agree on is that it shouldn't matter where you play as long as you get the point. Now I'm not to up on how the whole thing works but a) aren't there points events here in the states b) don't the euros have to play here also if they want to better their chances and get more points.

The problem with these high skilled low tier players is sponsorship IMO, present yourself in a manner that will allow for you to travel if need be "like DAZ" and do what you have to do, you're self employed as far as i'm concerned and need to pimp yourself to do what needs to be done to take care of your family. Don't get caught up with how americans do things cause we see how that's working out for almost all of them.

I don't think you understand, as usual.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He doesn't have to wait that long to get citizenship. My wife just became a citizen after having a green card for three years. If you gained a green card with restrictions through marriage, after one year, you apply for a restriction free green card. Then two years after that, you apply for citizenship, take test and interview and get a certificate of naturalization.

Jayson was talking at the beginning about playing for the US team after becoming a naturalized citizen which is absolutely fair and would be a GREAT addition to the team.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the link by the way. Jayson's interviews are always excellent with a solid point of view.

liakos

Banned
He doesn't have to wait that long to get citizenship. My wife just became a citizen after having a green card for three years. If you gained a green card with restrictions through marriage, after one year, you apply for a restriction free green card. Then two years after that, you apply for citizenship, take test and interview and get a certificate of naturalization.

Jayson was talking at the beginning about playing for the US team after becoming a naturalized citizen which is absolutely fair and would be a GREAT addition to the team.

You ain't kidding! He's definitely the most explosive player! Good and bad!

He would definitely shake up his opponent until the last ball drops;)

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
he's right. we play for the love of the game. he plays professionally and has to make a living off it, so for him to waste time and money and possibly even lose money doesn't make sense. and now that he's a new father and married it's even more important. I personally would be scared to raise a family on a pool players salary. Gambling, even for him who's a top pro, isn't always guaranteed. But than again I bust my ass and can still only barely pay the rent. I hate living in new york city now, it's a rich people city.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A naturalized citizen ROALMFAO ,, now that's priceless maybe we can talk Darren and Mika into being American too find a couple more and we won't need any American born players then we might have a shot :confused:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A naturalized citizen ROALMFAO ,, now that's priceless maybe we can talk Darren and Mika into being American too find a couple more and we won't need any American born players then we might have a shot :confused:

What do you have against American citizens?
Citizenship obtained legally is what built this country.
This is a nation of citizens-either by natural birth or certificate of naturalization.

Or are you implying that the us mosconi cup team eligibility should be that of the president of the United States whereas you have to be born a U.S.citizen? Now that would be for sure a LMFAO since dozens of foreign-born athletes who immigrated to the United States represented Team USA in the 2012 London Olympics.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you understand, as usual.

so why don't you explain or and while you at it throw out an example of your "as usual" comment. or were you just doing as you usually do and just ride off of anthers comment, since i said it you figured it fits and thus used it.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you have against American citizens?
Citizenship obtained legally is what built this country.
This is a nation of citizens-either by natural birth or certificate of naturalization.

Or are you implying that the us mosconi cup team eligibility should be that of the president of the United States whereas you have to be born a U.S.citizen? Now that would be for sure a LMFAO since dozens of foreign-born athletes who immigrated to the United States represented Team USA in the 2012 London Olympics.

Have nothing against them .. And yes like the President and I could care less about what or how the Olympics does things that doesn't make it right ,,

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have nothing against them .. And yes like the President and I could care less about what or how the Olympics does things that doesn't make it right ,,

I've always been an advocate of pool becoming an Olympic sport. So if the U.S. Olympic committee allows immigrated citizens to compete and win medals for the USA in the Olympic games in every other sport, pool should be no different. Other countries allow athletes to compete who aren't even citizens, as long as one of the parents of the athlete was born in that country.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...for-a-country-that-is-not-their-birth-nation/

Whether we agree or not, those are the rules of international sport competitions at the highest level, and pool should follow suit.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always been an advocate of pool becoming an Olympic sport. So if the U.S. Olympic committee allows immigrated citizens to compete and win medals for the USA in the Olympic games in every other sport, pool should be no different. Other countries allow athletes to compete who aren't even citizens, as long as one of the parents of the athlete was born in that country.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...for-a-country-that-is-not-their-birth-nation/

Whether we agree or not, those are the rules of international sport competitions at the highest level, and pool should follow suit.

Yep the rules are the rules , I don't even remotely consider pool a sport but we can disagree on that also while we're at it :)

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep the rules are the rules , I don't even remotely consider pool a sport but we can disagree on that also while we're at it :)

Table tennis
Golf
Curling

Are those sports?

They are represented in the Olympics, so it's really not up to opinion, they officially are.
If pool ever gets representation in the Olympics, the debate is officially over. Until then, I'll agree to disagree.;)

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table tennis
Golf
Curling

Are those sports?

They are represented in the Olympics, so it's really not up to opinion, they officially are.
If pool ever gets representation in the Olympics, the debate is officially over. Until then, I'll agree to disagree.;)

Certainly your not comparing golf and table tennis to pool , not even on the same planet curling is questionable but it's a team thing with many many moving parts

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so why don't you explain or and while you at it throw out an example of your "as usual" comment. or were you just doing as you usually do and just ride off of anthers comment, since i said it you figured it fits and thus used it.

Tissue for your issue?

Trinacria said it better than I would have...

he's right. we play for the love of the game. he plays professionally and has to make a living off it, so for him to waste time and money and possibly even lose money doesn't make sense. and now that he's a new father and married it's even more important. I personally would be scared to raise a family on a pool players salary. Gambling, even for him who's a top pro, isn't always guaranteed. But than again I bust my ass and can still only barely pay the rent. I hate living in new york city now, it's a rich people city.