joint loosening

butterflycues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a customer who I made a radial pin cue with and ivory joint for. He says after he shoots with it for a while the joint loosens up and he has to tighten it. Has anyone had this problem or know of anyone who did and if so what did they do for it? One of his friends said that this is common with radial pins. I have never had the problem before. I would look at it but he lives in California. A long way from me. Butterflycues

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
butterflycues said:
I have a customer who I made a radial pin cue with and ivory joint for. He says after he shoots with it for a while the joint loosens up and he has to tighten it. Has anyone had this problem or know of anyone who did and if so what did they do for it? One of his friends said that this is common with radial pins. I have never had the problem before. I would look at it but he lives in California. A long way from me. Butterflycues

I use radial pins and have had a couple of people say the same thing. I refaced them although they were running true and they still did it. I put a tiny bit of wax in the shaft to swell the threads a little and all was O.K. there after.

Dick

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Face the joint so that the is a very slight concave to it. VERY slight.
Then tell the customer to quit being a weenie and tighten the damn thing down.
:D

hadjcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
butterflycues said:

Undersizing the hole before tapping, then let the pin do the rest of the work in grooving it in. I do face it also the same way ShELDON does, that thing locks it up :)

butterflycues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replys. I'll try undersizing before tapping. But as for the cue already built I will suggest the wax thing. I tried it and it worked. Thanks again. Butterflycues

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sheldon said:
Face the joint so that the is a very slight concave to it. VERY slight.
Then tell the customer to quit being a weenie and tighten the damn thing down.
:D

;) :p :eek: :D No dought, just put the gorilla grip on that bad boy, and it'll Be fine! I have shot with many joint types & levels of cues and never had an issue with the joint coming loose constantly. Don't get me wrong I understand the problem, had cues like that Myself, just that in knowing the issue I was usually able to make sure It did'nt come loose in play. I love the installation benifits to radial, but hard to get away from the 5/16 joints in a personal cue for me, so possible there's more to it then I realize.