Kamui or Moori?

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
If it glazes which every tip can do, it means you aren't chalking after every shot..I only notice glazing when I've hit a dozen or so shots without chalking

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
?..does not like Kamui that much - prefers the Moori over it. Believe it or not, his favorite tip is the Talisman hard..

I am using Kamui Black Hard, Moori III Quick, and Talisman WB Hard. The Talisman is easily my favorite commercial tip. I kept with the Moori to see how it would age. I really like it, too. Mine mushroomed pretty badly. Some have said that's the sign of a fake Moori. That would be too bad, because it would be hard to find the same fake again. It is a fine tip. The Kamui Black Hard is just too hard for me. Perhaps because it is on a very dead-playing cue. I don't find a tendency to miscue or anything like that. But it is much harder than the others. I use it for my break cue. It is an expensive break tip, but it works great for that. Not quite hard enough for jumping consistently.

I have seen other posts that did not like the Talisman tips at all. My experience is only with one tip. But it provides a crisp hit, allows accurate long distance shooting, and grabs the cue ball well. I will buy more.

Greg

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McChen, I believe you play a Mezz ? If so, sounds like you prefer the Kamui brown over the Moori Med. that came with the Mezz ?

Just curious, as I play with a Mezz still using the factory tip.

I have a MEZZ and a JUDD. My MEZZ came with the Mooori Med. It was ok. I switched to a Kamui soft, being that the Kamui soft plays like a Med. I never looked back. I won't be looking for a new tip any time soon.

Manning Cues

Registered
Moori Hard vs Kamui Hard

These two tips do not compare in density or hit.
The Moori will hit softer than the Kamui even though they both are listed as hard. THe kamui is made from the finest, highest grade Japanese pig skin and the Moori is made from boar leather. Both are layered tips but are very different. The other big difference I personally have experienced is that the Kamui tip last longer and requires less maintenance.

The link below will take you to a tip chart showing density's for tip comparison on my on line billiard store.

Link: http://manning-cues.myshopify.com/pages/cue-tip-guidet

Shoot Well :cool:

Manning Cues,
www.manningcues.com

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These two tips do not compare in density or hit.
The Moori will hit softer than the Kamui even though they both are listed as hard. THe kamui is made from the finest, highest grade Japanese pig skin and the Moori is made from boar leather. Both are layered tips but are very different. The other big difference I personally have experienced is that the Kamui tip last longer and requires less maintenance.

The link below will take you to a tip chart showing density's for tip comparison on my on line billiard store.

Link: http://manning-cues.myshopify.com/pages/cue-tip-guidet

Shoot Well :cool:

Manning Cues,
www.manningcues.com
I use the kamui M, I like it, but it is a "hard" medium tip.

slyfox

Olney Fan
Silver Member
thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Tried the moori and it plays ok. Sticking with a Kamui though. I'm not one to jump on bandwagons.... however I do have to say the Kamui works great and I think superior to other tips... for my personal liking atleast.

I'm sticking with a Kamui black hard. Might switch to a medium at some point to test it out.

Any huge difference between the black and brown?
What is supposed to be the difference?

thanks all. :thumbup:
Fox.

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading through all the responses on this thread, I've come to the conclusion that I must be doing something wrong. I've tried Kamui's (both black and brown) along with a slew of other tips. I keep coming back to Moori. Last year I switched to Moori soft and expected some mushrooming. The Moori Soft tip never mushroomed, never glazed over, and plays great from day one. I touch it up about once a month or so with my Willard shaper very lightly and that's about it but not because it needs it but because I feel more secure doing it. When I played with a Moori Medium I experienced some slight mushrooming after a month of play - and I played with about 3 or 4 in a row. After mushrooming once, they never mushroomed again. I liked the hit with a Super Pro tip (a really hard tip in my opinion) but miscued occasionally when the cue ball was smack against the cushion. The Wizard and Emerald play like a Moori Medium and I liked them. I appear to be in the minority liking Moori over Kamui but which tip to use is so subjective. I guess that's why there are so many different tips available. So my suggestion is to try it yourself and don't pay attention to what other people use. What's right for you is what's feels right to you. Good luck in your quest for the perfect tip.

slyfox

Olney Fan
Silver Member
After reading through all the responses on this thread, I've come to the conclusion that I must be doing something wrong. I've tried Kamui's (both black and brown) along with a slew of other tips. I keep coming back to Moori. Last year I switched to Moori soft and expected some mushrooming. The Moori Soft tip never mushroomed, never glazed over, and plays great from day one. I touch it up about once a month or so with my Willard shaper very lightly and that's about it but not because it needs it but because I feel more secure doing it. When I played with a Moori Medium I experienced some slight mushrooming after a month of play - and I played with about 3 or 4 in a row. After mushrooming once, they never mushroomed again. I liked the hit with a Super Pro tip (a really hard tip in my opinion) but miscued occasionally when the cue ball was smack against the cushion. The Wizard and Emerald play like a Moori Medium and I liked them. I appear to be in the minority liking Moori over Kamui but which tip to use is so subjective. I guess that's why there are so many different tips available. So my suggestion is to try it yourself and don't pay attention to what other people use. What's right for you is what's feels right to you. Good luck in your quest for the perfect tip.

Agreed. Tip selection is very subjective. I like a hard tip. I can control any throw and center ball shots feel crisper. Some cues hit really stiff and I don't mind backing down to a medium. I just like the kamui because it doesn't mushroom at all. I play too much draw so anything else mushrooms. I do really like the wizards though. I know Jeff Olney uses those on alot of his cues. Moori's are solid tips, no way around it. Most likely I'll end up always using a Kamui hard/medium or a wizard medium. Most importantly the stiffness of the cue affects the tip I choose. Certain cues play stiff enough I can get a great hit with a wizard medium. Others a Kamui hard really makes the cue feel right.

But yep. It all comes down to what the individual likes.

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
the kamui browns don't glaze over like the blacks and the moori's, IME. holds chalk the best of all the layered tips i've tried
Glazing is natural from the hard cue ball compressing the soft leather (leather is soft compared to the cue ball regardless of the tip type)

Get a good scuffer that doesn't damage or change the shape of the tip like the kamui gator or the last4ever

I scuff 20-30 times between reshaping... Pretty much daily maintenance as far as I'm concerned.