Leagues Paying Green Fee's (Y/N)

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to know how many players that play in leagues do not have to pay the host location(s) where they play green fee's?

If you do have to pay how much are we talking about?

Thanks to all who reply.

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
We've never had to pay greens fees. We're bringing in 12-16 players for 3 or so hours that are drinking and eating. They make plenty off of us.

Also, depending on the vendor, we get the table opened 1 hour before the match starts.

nineballman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think ours is about $2/night per person. But they do not give us any free practice time. I rented a table the other night for 20 minutes before it started and they wanted to charge $8 for the full hr. LOL, I'll just warm up on my Diamond before getting there.....

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
In my APA league, it depended on where you were playing (it was travelling). The main place, it was $1/player playing that night - other places, free.

In another APA league I played in, the venues wouldn't open up the tables - you had to sink quarters - but they had a free "half-time" drink for folks. About halfway through the night, you'd get a slip of paper to write down what the folks on your team wanted for their free drink (something they'd been drinking already - couldn't drink water then order something pricy). So that helped offset the quarters.

Valley league in the area, same deal.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
is it possible the fees are built into the nightly payment and nobody's told what percentage of that payment goes back to the house?

cuz our league night was 7-8 bucks and I thought it all went to the LO, but maybe a buck or two made it to the house. Are they required to tell you?

Scooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Problem with Bar Leagues

I play in a bar league with my wife which means $1 / game warm up or matches. That adds up to as much or more than we pay the LO ($6 each). I am thinking about starting a team at a 9' table venue just to avoid that cost (as well as play on better tables).

Cheez Dawg

Flawed Perfectionist
Silver Member
The league where I play charges $2/person. Now, considering we have 18 teams at 5 people to a team, that really adds up over the course of a season. Say $5400 over a 30 week season.:eek: :eek:
Also, the tables are in need of re-clothing, and some rubbers need replacing. This has been the case for a year and a half.
Kinda makes you wonder where the money actually goes. Originally they said it was for table upkeep, but tables remain in rough shape, and they don't pay to keep them clean(I clean them regularly for table time).

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
I've tried to stay at clubs instead of bars. The private membership places tend to take better care of the equipment and the prices to eat/drink tend to be a bit cheaper.

The last bar we played at did their best to take care of us, but in the end, the table was just not up to standards. We're moving back to a private club this session.

mattman

Silver Member
The league I play in is on bar boxes. Each team has 4 players and you play each one once. Twice you opponent breaks and you break twice. The breaker has to pay the green fees....which is .75 cents each. So....$1.50 a night.

kiley26

Our APA host establishment pays our 30$/wk fees which go to our league operator (6$ each; five players) because we bring a lot of business into the place. They don't open the table though; it's only .25 a game which is alternated by players.

My private club league(Moose,Eagles,VFW,Amvets,etc..)green fees are 4$/week paid by each player (20$ team) and goes to the secretary for expenses such as administrative, trophies, banquet. Most of the private clubs open their tables when we play.

Looks like we pay a lot compared to other replies!!!!

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
We don't pay a dime for green fees in our Monday night 9-ball league... and we play on all of the 9-footers in the place, which is only five... and they're all available for free practice 1.5 hours before the start of league play.

The bar/grill where we play makes it up on alcohol and food.

On a related note, when I was the league president for another league that plays at this same place on Tuesday night, as a perc to bringing food and alcohol business their way, I got all the free table time that I could stand... and although I haven't been associated with that league for the past six years or so, I still get all the free table time that I can stand... I figure that it has saved me tens of thousands of dollars. :)

ps... I tip well. ;)

Flettir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
League

I am in the APA here, about to join BCA also, but sure what they do yet.

The tables are opened up 1 hour prior to play so play and practice are free and about 1/2 way through the match we get a free team drink, also.

Works out pretty good, the pool hall/bar gets lots of extra customers on the league nights. It also helps that it is a med/large league 150+ teams and therefore has some weight to push around.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA here and we dont pay for the tables. Every place but one opens the tables but one gives you quarters. Actually 2 places do that.

At most locations we get a buy one get one free drink if you are one of the five that night.

Most open the tables 1hr or 30 minutes before league. Of course the ones that dont open the tables dont offer quarters until start time. That is why no one plays there. They dont understand why either :rolleyes:

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies. The reason I asked the question was to do with the independant league I play in that has 20 Teams, 5 players a team and travels around town to different bars and pool halls. They have now been asked to pay after years of getting it for free.

I see no reason why we shouldn't pay, as the establishments are only asking for $1.00 night per person. Which if you figure it works out to $3000.00 Green Fee's for the year and the league brings in $27,000.00 with there only expenses being Trophy's, prizes, and a banquet. Every other penny goes back to the players. Not bad for $9.00/night for 30 Weeks.

I hate seeing people being greedy and expecting everything for free. Especially when in a small communitee of under 50,000 with out these establishments letting us play we would have no were else to play.

Thanks again to all who responded.

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
Nobody likes having to start paying for something they've gotten free for however long already. But if it's just a buck, I'd expect grumbling and then acceptance.

The same thing happened with my APA league - used to be, they'd open the tables and that was that. Then the bar owner tacked on a $1/player extra a couple of years back. Yeah, everyone grumbled, but no one walked.

MFB

Just a User
Silver Member
I play in a 5 person, in-house league. Diamond barboxes and a few valleys.

20 tables total, 1 team (5 players) per table. Each player pays $6 per night for green fees.

Green fees include practice time before leagues (starts at 5 PM) league play (7 PM until about 9 PM) and after league practice (from about 9 PM until midnight).

Most people do not hang around, so there are plenty of practice tables after leagues.

I think it is a pretty sweet deal.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have played at 4 separate pool halls, and all of them around here charge either $8-9 fees for per player per night. $6 of that goes to the APA, and the remainder are the in-house "green fees". All the venues have between 24-30 tables (mostly 9 footers), and the league size ranges from 9 teams on the slower Monday night league, to 16 teams per night on the busier night. Hard Times in Germantown actually has 30 teams on Thursday nights, but there are 3 separate leagues running that night, so it is around 10 teams per league.

We get "free" practice for an hour prior to league play, and Champions in Frederick sets up a free coffee/tea/water bar for us. That is all we get for free.

Venues: (all in Maryland)
Hagerstown Billiards, Hagerstown
All Star Billiards, Frederick
Champion Billiards, Frederick
Hard Times, Germantown

Joe

Last edited:

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
No greens fees here either. The sponsor locations pay the league $40 (per team) each year for the priviledge to host matches at their location, as they make it all back very easily on the food/alcohol bill. The tables are opened up for 1 hour prior to the match starting, and the host sponsor usually comps the teams a free drinks at 'half time'. :)

Lisa

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
kiley26 said:
Our APA host establishment pays our 30$/wk fees which go to our league operator (6$ each; five players) because we bring a lot of business into the place. They don't open the table though; it's only .25 a game which is alternated by players.

My private club league(Moose,Eagles,VFW,Amvets,etc..)green fees are 4$/week paid by each player (20$ team) and goes to the secretary for expenses such as administrative, trophies, banquet. Most of the private clubs open their tables when we play.

Looks like we pay a lot compared to other replies!!!!
If thats you in that picture I would'nt make you pay for anything.;)Welcome newbie.

Last edited: