Least favorite thing about the Derby?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My least favorite thing about the Derby is HANDS DOWN the announcer for the banks ring game. Is he necessary? I love the relaxed nature of the event, the interactions between the players, the crowd noise, etc. But that guy needs to STFU. He has a comment for literally EVERYTHING and it's almost never funny.

What's your least favorite thing?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
My least favorite thing about the Derby is HANDS DOWN the announcer for the banks ring game. Is he necessary? I love the relaxed nature of the event, the interactions between the players, the crowd noise, etc. But that guy needs to STFU. He has a comment for literally EVERYTHING and it's almost never funny.

Winter. The prospect of getting stuck up there. Needs to come South.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

weird feature match choices. we never got to see svb play filler 1pkt because they showed josh roberts beating a 500 fargo in 9-ball. the day before they picked fedor vs nathan childress over a heap of good competitive matches (lunda, hall, filler, shaw). even nick varner who did commentary was upset after the match, they forgot to turn off the mic

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The scoring system is like a ModelT compared to GT3RS Porsche. They REALLLLLLLLY need to find a way to keep fans on-site and on-line more up-to-date. The bb system will always be factor but they still could update waaay more quickly/accurately. Other than that i think its a great 'happening', not just a tournament.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
weird feature match choices. we never got to see svb play filler 1pkt because they showed josh roberts beating a 500 fargo in 9-ball. the day before they picked fedor vs nathan childress over a heap of good competitive matches (lunda, hall, filler, shaw). even nick varner who did commentary was upset after the match, they forgot to turn off the mic
Agree!

One particular 1p match was so unimpressive and lopsided I can't recall who it was but it never had a chance to be competitive, Mark Wilson said a few times that they were keeping an eye on Chohan playing SVB and I thought to myself 'damn, those guys are playing and we're stuck watching this?',

I wasnt there in person but a number of friends said there were spots where the smoke was a problem for them.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
The food
The smoke
The lack of seating
The fact that year after year, more people find my private viewing section (which hasn’t been private for 15 years.
No more Louie Roberts Award

But none of it is so bad that it would ever stop me from coming year after year.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
How they treat the elderly and veterans and disabled!

Did away with golf carts and scooters

Refused to maintain a block of rooms at the venue for special needs.

Refused to allow early booking for veterans and disabled.

The place sells out and veterans and disabled. Frozen out since alternative lodging is so far away

Kd

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The impossibility of knowing who's going to be on the feature table more than a few minutes in advance. The buy back's great for the players, but it screws up the scheduling.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since I only get to pick one (I'm looking at you, Freddie) the location. But there are several parts to that....

The Indiana Riviera in the middle of winter is not a pleasant place to be, as we all learned during the ice storm the first year at the Horseshoe.
1706379401420.png

I have actually enjoyed driving around that area, but winter is not the time to do it. Who remembers the year the parking lot flooded?

The hotel and it's facilities are marginal/substandard, and the prices are out of line. A friend will never return after the week he spent in his room due to the food which exited both ends.

There is not enough meeting area, as mentioned a few thousand times already. I think more room for tables could fix the perpetual scheduling issues.

It's in the sticks, even for that part of the country. Nowhere else to eat or stay unless you have a car.

I could only stand going eight times.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an attendee, the food is scarce, the tables don't play right, the brackets are rarely working on the phone so you have to still go to the scrolling screen projector to see if you have a match coming up.

As a home spectator, the brackets are rarely working, so hard to follow along.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So speaking of scoring, this year apparently Digital Pool went in and installed cameras on a large portion of the side tables, that the re-streamers on youtube have access to. That must have been some undertaking. IDK why they didn't go one step further and put an iPad on each table and do live scoring. So many tournaments have that now. An iPad stuck to the light the players touch each game. Or, do it from their phone.

bpeacock

So speaking of scoring, this year apparently Digital Pool went in and installed cameras on a large portion of the side tables, that the re-streamers on youtube have access to. That must have been some undertaking. IDK why they didn't go one step further and put an iPad on each table and do live scoring. So many tournaments have that now. An iPad stuck to the light the players touch each game. Or, do it from their phone.
They have monitors on most of the tables that did show live scores but as the week went by fewer and fewer were working. Eventually, I think they just gave up.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading this thread I feel way better staying home, eating good food, having a drink and watching it on YouTube. The guy commentating the bank pool sent me to the basement to work out. He was awful!

Home is better!

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member

Was watching a 1pkt match online and every so often thought wtf…has there been an accident there or a robbery…other than by the place itself lol. Then watched the ring game later and heard the noise after every 4pac 😂😂

On a side note…props to DeLawder and those guys for making it entertaining

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have monitors on most of the tables that did show live scores but as the week went by fewer and fewer were working. Eventually, I think they just gave up.
That's actually awesome. It means they are trying new things!

Were they the digital pool system that you tap on your name to increment the score?