leather tips and PETA/vegans...?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If the logging industry there is anything like here , the logging companies may plant a pike of trees buts it all one breed of softwood and they constantly kill off the hardwood by spraying it.

Well I know the El Dorado County USFS Nursery did Pine, and Ceder.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Well what do define as big logs?
What was a big log in Trinity County would have been a pecker pole in adjacent Humboldt County. There's still a mill in Weaverville, a 2x4 mill.🤷
Possibly the only mill left in an area that used to support over a dozen saw mills. Planting and harvesting through clearcut is the way it is done now. Some of the terrain is so rugged that helicopter logging is done. My highschool classmate voted most likely to succeed started a business planting trees. He was indeed very successful.
I started my career working for U S Plywood in Anderson, CA in 1971. The largest employer in Shasta county. A sawmill, a plywood mill and particle board plant all on one site. I worked in the particle board plant for 5 years it blew up 3 months after I quit.
My shift my department. The article says 7 but it was 10 killed.
Not sure when the sawmill and plywood Mills shut down but they are long gone too.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I recall that Andersen incident, not quit as famous of an event as the thing down the road.

Mill worker in Red Bluff’s, Cameron Hooker who kidnapped hitchhiker, and made her his slave for 7 years.

Maybe it was working in lumber industry that made him do it?

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For plant based tips, soak cornflakes in milk, press until dry. E-friendly milk duds! Need a break tip? Do the same thing with Grapenuts. 😁

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Well Born in the hospital
Having a LOL flash back.
Sometime in the '90s I was visiting my old home town of Weaverville. At The Diggins having a good time giving pool lessons to an old classmate(Mike) that had been a better athlete than I. He was even "the first" with the girl I had a crush on in the 8th grade.😬 Nothing big just $5 games. Oh it was sweet. Once he surrendered there was a few transplants that gave me a little action. After I had schooled them, the cocky one says to me, "We don't much like you coming in here and taking money from the locals." He, he. He was still wet behind the ears. He had no clue what a local was or that Mike would back my play. I just laughed and said, "I was born in the hospital right up the street. You don't get any more local than that." Then returned to my reunion with Mike.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the mid 80’s my friend got some rubber/plastic sort of tips. They looked like normal tips. We all tried them-for a week. Garbage.

telinoz

Registered

Yep.

Guy Manges

Registered
Well I recall one Mill in Camino, CA. Talking to old timers they told stories of how it was, was then.

That Mill was Michigan-Cal, became another company, Sierra something, now is closed.

Recall in late 80-90’s work up in the Northern part of California you were alway sharing Road with logging trucks sunrise to sunsett.
Those drivers sure did know how to run on those roads, I liked to follow them on my scooter... Fun, Guy

Guy Manges

Registered
Representative of too many number stickers? Nitpicking can be fatel if it become Nose Picking.🥶

Like stopping at Trees of Mystery in Humbolt County. Could not stop for more then minute, and one of the people who was working the parking lot tried to slapping one of their bumper sticker on your car or truck.

🤯
Hum, Humboldt, Maybe try to smoke that... Guy

MajorMiscue

Rock Spinner
Staff member
Gold Member
Those drivers sure did know how to run on those roads, I liked to follow them on my scooter... Fun, Guy
Dad drove log truck for several years in the 50s. He gave it up after the second time he was loaded, headed downhill, rounded a corner to find the road had slid into the canyon. Both times he had to exit the vehicle before it joined the road in the bottom of the canyon. He used to complain that he lost his water bag both times. (In those days they carried a canvas water bag strapped somewhere on the truck. The evaporation from the wet canvas cooled the water.)

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Humbolt County is part of Emerald Triangle Mendocino, Humbolt, Trinity County.

Best home grown Mary Jane in California, and CAMP Program is over.
Humboldt homegrown was notorious. Seems purple cush strains if I remember right.
The Hoopa Indian reservation near Willow Creek was notorious. At a Trinity County Supervisor meeting the board was petitioned to have the sheriff's department paint SHERIFF on the underside of the wings of the sheriff's department Cessna. As all small planes that flew over the reservation were being shot at.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Dad drove log truck for several years in the 50s. He gave it up after the second time he was loaded, headed downhill, rounded a corner to find the road had slid into the canyon. Both times he had to exit the vehicle before it joined the road in the bottom of the canyon. He used to complain that he lost his water bag both times. (In those days they carried a canvas water bag strapped somewhere on the truck. The evaporation from the wet canvas cooled the water.)
We lived just a mile up the single lane dirt road that left highway 3 and went up Readings Creek(pronounced Reddings) then to Indian Creek or to Blanchard Flats . We had constant logging truck traffic. One day just beyond our house a loaded log truck lost his steering box and ended up with the cab in the shallow creek and the trailer tires 15 feet higher on the road. With the load intact but poised to go right through the cab. Good thing he knew how to secure the load.

Rusty in Montana

The story I heard was the pine logs from SE Montana were sent out on rail cars to the Wash coast then loaded on a ship heading to the east , when they reached international waters they would dump the bark and saw dust over board and return back to the port with bunks of dimensional lumber or whatever it's called .
I worked for a couple winters falling timber , it seems like it was soon after that it shifted to mechanical logging and only one person was needed on the landing to bump a knot or two or cut a preferred length .
The largest tree I fell was for a landowner it was a cottonwood tree that was 5'2" x 5'6" at the stump I dropped it with a 30" bar on my chainsaw what a sight to see .

MajorMiscue

Rock Spinner
Staff member
Gold Member
We lived in Agnes on the Rogue river. The ride into Agnes was one lane gravel roads crudely carved out of the mountainside. I was 3 the first time we made that trip.I was in the backseat of our '51 Pontiac, there were no seatbelts. I quickly learned that the growl of a jake brake meant that we would soon meet a logging truck barreling down the mountain in the opposite direction. I was terrified. Looking out the window I couldn't see the side of the road, just the dropoff into the canyon. We had to search out a "wide" spot to let the truck pass. I spent the entire trip on the floorboards waiting for us to miss a corner and plunge into the canyon.

Good times.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The side trips in this thread remind me, a company logging town was found in the piney woods of central Louisiana a few years ago. Equipment and everything, looks like they planned to come back and never did. Best I recall it was abandoned in the sixties from what evidence is there. A company store, cafeteria, barracks, a bulldozer and other equipment, best I recall. A bunch more stuff too.

We lived just a mile up the single lane dirt road that left highway 3 and went up Readings Creek(pronounced Reddings) then to Indian Creek or to Blanchard Flats . We had constant logging truck traffic. One day just beyond our house a loaded log truck lost his steering box and ended up with the cab in the shallow creek and the trailer tires 15 feet higher on the road. With the load intact but poised to go right through the cab. Good thing he knew how to secure the load.

The logging trucks were always getting into accidents and usually their fault for running unsafe equipment. A friend's brother in law hauled long logs. A car pulled out in front of him on a two lane. He could see it was an entire family so he pulled his truck onto a mostly nonexistent shoulder with no room to stop. When he tried to get back on the road from the much lower shoulder it popped all eight wheels off the back corner of the trailer. As could be imagined things went downhill from there in more ways than one!

The logs are positioned and bound primarily to keep them from going off the back of the trailer. These went forward, bursting through the cab. The filled up every bit of where the cab had been. However in the days before mandatory seatbelt use he fell into a space between the driver's seat and door. A space that didn't exist until the logs exploded the cab! He was banged up pretty good but no major damage, spent a couple months laid up. I saw the wreckage, looked like a miracle he walked away, at least he walked away after being extracted.

When he was able to go back to work he took the insurance money and bought a new truck and trailer, set up to haul long logs! If I kept hauling logs I think I would have at least switched to short logs.

Hu

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Hu mentioned Logging Trucks and accidents. Having spent the best part of week work story on what ChiPs Roving Mobil Commercial Traffic Officers do. I understood the more about how great most logging truck driver & 18 wheeler operate.

The area I live it was the busses that transport River Rafters that were the problem. Poor upkeep, bad brakes, and many just out of compliance. Always in accident on down hill runs.

Many times I was out bicycle riding and would hear a semi approaching from behind. Never had s problem with logging trucks, most close call were personal vehicles buzzing by too close almost hitting me.