Lost a tough match last night, the "right way"

dirtypool40

I love this freakin' game
Silver Member
APA 9-ball league match NO PUSH OUT.

So I am playing a 5, a very under-rated 5, who is running balls on this 8 footer like nothin! The no-push on the break is killing me. I keep getting hooked or kicked in and this kid will run 5-7 balls. Once I made three balls, got kicked in and he ran out!!

Being a "9" I have to play him 75-35 (or maybe 38, but I think it's 35). Before long I find myself nearly TIED!!! I think we're at like 33-31.

Rather than fold up, I took the bit between my teeth, shifted gears and really tried to play controlled, cinch pool. If I wasn't 99% to make the ball I played safe.

Now when a guy only needs four balls to win the match, every kick can make your sphincter tingle. And the break was giving me grey hair!!! Dont make a ball, or get hooked and the match is OVER!!!

Pretty soon he had fluked a couple in and only needed ONE FRIGGIN BALL when I still needed like 30!!! Now THAT is pressure, and one of the damned few reasons I still play league.

I did pretty well, and the drama was palpable. Word got around I was trying to hold him off that one, single ball and just might do it, and teams on other tables started watching OUR match!

At one point I had it down to something like I need 15, he needs 1. The rack is spread wide after the break, and I play safe on the one. He kicked it two rails, MADE THE BALL and scratched!!! :eek:

I ran out.

Now I only need to pocket a ball on the break and run four more.

Faced with this after the break.

CueTable Help

I could BARELY see the right side of the 1-ball, so I played this safety.

CueTable Help

I didn't lock him up, but felt pretty good about my chances. I figured he would hit the ball, and I could run my four balls and out.

Instead he WHALES this thing 100 mph, the cue jumps up in the air, comes down on the 1-ball, it jumps up, hits the 6 and goes in... :eek:

The match is over. :banghead:

CueTable Help

The lesson learned is to not fall behind so I HAVE to play cinch pool, cuz any little roll can kill ya.

But I am still proud of how I shifted gears and that I didn't lose by dogging a ball.

dirtypool40

Silver Member
LOL for real.

He didn't even know he'd escaped! He (and his team) acted like "HELL YEAH! Take some of that, great shot, we win". :grinning-moose:

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Good job holding it together.

I don't know if you noticed it or not, but in one of your earlier threads, I posted a question asking if you played as well when having to come from behind. As I said in the other thread that seems to be my Achilles Heel. If I fall behind, it is real hard for me to keep my composure and make a win out of it.

So this thread answered my question. Great job, even though the results weren't what you wanted.

MikeyLittle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome job to keep your composure and battle your way back. It's hard to do sometimes when you play a under rated opponent at any level. That last safty shot I might have done differently but of course im a 4 in apa. Dont know if I can get that table image up but I would of tried thinning the one ball on its left side with some left and try to bring the cue ball in between the 6 and 2 of course thats a touch shot but than again maybe thats why im not a higher level as of yet.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ABKL4BXjI1...IBSi1PBBA4SDqG3UBKL3UKQe1kBBA4kBbL4kDpl4kOtd@

dirtypool40

Silver Member
I don't know if you noticed it or not, but in one of your earlier threads, I posted a question asking if you played as well when having to come from behind. As I said in the other thread that seems to be my Achilles Heel. If I fall behind, it is real hard for me to keep my composure and make a win out of it.

So this thread answered my question. Great job, even though the results weren't what you wanted.

Thanks, I was happy with my play once I shifted gears, even if a slopped in kick shot kept me from getting the "W".

Most folks can play well, and free wheel when their ahead and their opponent is dogging it. It is a lot tougher to be the guy behind, grinding to try and make something happen, to overcome the momentum and swing things your way.

When I was stuck needing 35 and he only needed that 1, I actually said to a team mate "THIS, right here, THIS is why I play league." The easy blow outs no one gives you credit for. Like, you're a 9, it's expected. The character building matches are the ones where you had to dig a little deeper, get out of your comfort zone.

Stay at it. :thumbup:

at about 35-1, I under hit a 5 during a "routine" out, leaving myself this thin 6. I asked HIS team how many he needed, and then fatalistically accepted it was do or die.

CueTable Help

Yuuup, I aaaaaaaaaaaaalmost made that comeback. ;)

Awesome job to keep your composure and battle your way back. It's hard to do sometimes when you play a under rated opponent at any level. That last safty shot I might have done differently but of course im a 4 in apa. Dont know if I can get that table image up but I would of tried thinning the one ball on its left side with some left and try to bring the cue ball in between the 6 and 2 of course thats a touch shot but than again maybe thats why im not a higher level as of yet.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ABKL4BXjI1...IBSi1PBBA4SDqG3UBKL3UKQe1kBBA4kBbL4kDpl4kOtd@

not a bad idea, but this kid was making everything he shot at, so unless I hook him, or tie the 2 up with the 4, I lose. I chose the shot I did because (I figured) it offered the best chance of a hook, meaning (hopefully) a return to the table. I under hit it a little, and left an easy kick, but he STILL kicked the harder way I intended to leave him... and of course $hit the ONE ball he needed in to win the match. :barf:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I love your story, and you're right to be proud of that comeback, even if you missed it "by thaaaaat much".

I don't have anything close to that level of a comeback, but a couple of weeks ago I did manage to come back from being down 3-1 in an 8-ball match, me as an SL4 against an SL5. We had already lost 3 of the other 4 matches that night, and I'm "playing up". So I had a little more pressure than on other nights. But I made it back and beat him, which sure was a great feeling. I can't imagine being down as far as you were, making that great comeback and NOT getting the win... wow.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
These are the ones you remember

You remember the tough battles. Sometimes you know you shouldn't have been in them but even losing it still feels like you accomplished a lot.

Hu