Mark Griffin -- Not Long to Live

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark, if you read this, thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything you have done for the sport that is my passion, and dear to my heart. The sport needs more individuals like yourself. You have left your mark, and it will not be forgotten, nor will you be.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
He’s been on the ballot for several years for Meritorious, deservedly so. I hope he gets in.
Well this seems to be a no brainer. I understand that only one from each category gets in each year but Mark G is approaching "Mount Rushmore" type status for Billiards/Pool from a trade builder standpoint. It's not even discussion worthy. I would suggest that if you put up a poll on AZB of all those considered for Meritorious category it wouldn't surprise me if he would lap the field. This oversite needs to be addressed. Lets do this while he's still with us to take a bow. Anything else just reaffirms how tone deaf the industry has become.

Guy Manges

Registered
God be and is with you Mark... Back when you had your lung operation I talked to the Lord and still do and will, On and On Mark... Guy

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I heard from Mark late last night. He says he appreciates everyone who has reached out to him, he asks that anyone wishing to reach him, please do so via text or email. The phone calls are overwhelming.

Thanks,
Mike

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
This is just very sad news. Thanks for everything that you did for the game. Its hard to find anyone who has contributed as much to the game as you have. I hope they put you in the Hall of Fame because you deserve it. Always enjoyed our conversations and your insight. You are in my prayers.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1672789861596.jpg
    FB_IMG_1672789861596.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 102

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
So sorry to hear this news. Mark has been my dear friend and sometime business partner for decades! A better friend or partner you couldn't ask for. Win or lose, profit or loss, Mark took it all well, like the man he is. We worked together to produce many events including the Jay Swanson Memorial, the Los Angeles Open, the Bigfoot at DCC, and when it came time for me to sell the U.S. Bar Table, Mark was the only man I had to ask.

I thought he looked so good after his double lung transplant in 2016 and now this. It doesn't seem fair. Mark accomplished more in the pool world than just about anybody I know. He did everything and he did it without any fanfare. So many times he surprised me with his next big move. I guess he partnered up with just about every successful venture in the pool world from TAR to tournaments to Diamond tables to OB cues. He must have owned a dozen pool rooms in his time too, all of them successful as well.

I pray he beats the odds and stays with us a little longer, maybe just a few more years please! :love:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Some heavy hitter responding with heartfelt stories. Rather than ''liking" all your posts I will take care of it with a post.
Too many times we overlook the superstars around us. Mark has been one of the finest, not sure if if Mark ever jumps on the forum but if so... Thanks for the dedication and hard work. The folks who are speaking about you have the utmost respect. You are the man!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In July of 2019, it was announced that Greg Sullivan was to be inducted the BCA Hall of Fame. In the thread of pertinence, after I praised the committee for this selection, I posted the following on 7/21/2019:

Mark Griffin is every bit as deserving as Greg Sullivan of a hall of fame spot.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
In July of 2019, it was announced that Greg Sullivan was to be inducted the BCA Hall of Fame. In the thread of pertinence, after I praised the committee for this selection, I posted the following on 7/21/2019:

Mark Griffin is every bit as deserving as Greg Sullivan of a hall of fame spot.
Mark was also on the ballot.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A shame. A fan of his pro events, and when my team joined USAPL in 2019, we made nationals that first year.

After 8 years of APA play and the best we did was LTCs, we had the right team at the right time to make it to USAPL nats. Upon arrival, my captain and I (the only two on the team that whole time) walked into the main tournament room at the Rio and were simply in awe. We couldn’t stop smiling and talking about he we finally “made it” after years of trying.

Merck’s legacy reaches far

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This was posted on Griff's Facebook page half an hour ago. :(

Griff's Bar & Billiards

Mark Griffin, age 76, died peacefully on January 13, 2023 in his residence in Henderson, NV. He will be cremated at Palm Eastern Mortuary & Cemetery in Las Vegas. In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorial donations to Donate Life America — donatelife.net
Mark has inspired so many—and so many have said they will never forget him. When he knew his time was near, he asked us to invite all family and friends to his Celebration of Life at Griff’s Bar & Billiards in Las Vegas. According to Mark’s wishes, there will be no service at the mortuary.
A full obituary with more information will be available shortly.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP🙏🏼

I didn’t send him a message or call, I was going to wait until the dust settled. I wasn’t aware his situation was this critical.

I sure hope Mark gets a HOF recognition of some sort. A life achievement recognition at the very least. That seem fitting at a minimum.
Of course those of who knew him know he is certainly deserving and will always be remembered

Eric🙏

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How will we ever replace these folks that did so much for pool? Guess we cannot. So, we will just roll on into the future with our memories of a life of pool and those wonderful folks like him, that have made pool what it is today.

Thanks to Mark for all he accomplished! RIP.