Most dreaded shots lately

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Anybody have one they’ve come across lately?

I came across one of the toughest shots I’ve encountered in a while the other day. And that’s how this thread came to be. Worst part. It was just a center ball shot!

It was a light angle near the rail long shot on the 5. Cb slightly outside of the 5 overlapping some. Only had three choices really. follow it down and bank the 7, safety on the 7, or play about a 5 foot stun off the cut shot into about a 3” box. I opted for the 3rd just to give it a go.

Has anyone tried a long center ball forward slide with a light cut angle? You really gotta stroke that thing to get it rolling! Never knew a stun/slide type shot could be so difficult. The 7 was 5” off the rail and blocked by the 9 to that corner and there was only about a 3x3 box to put the cb into to go to the other corner and not scratch on the 7. Plus that 3” box was 5 ft away. Follow shot only left a bank shot to the side. Draw wouldn’t get me there easy. Inside would’ve worked but if the cb made it to the rail it would’ve over ran into the 7 and/or 9. Outside was no good either. It might’ve scratched to the side or would’ve hit the rail too far back to make the 7 without scratching. Plus with right/left the shot adjustment for throw didn’t help any. Top left was a scratch to the corner and top right was a better chance but hard to judge

Let’s just say the shot looked easy but it was really a doozy. After some thought the only way to shape that 7 was with center ball with just a bit of follow. It was the natural angle. Almost no follow maybe 20%-50% of the tip. To much follow wouldve hit the 7/9. Everything else was somehow blocked. And it had to be hit hard to get there. Center with slight low would’ve been optimal on the shot if it only need to go a short ways. It was a great line that gave the cb 6” leeway by being able to strike the rail. But the kicker was there wasn’t enough angle on the shot. So it had to be hit hard and that in turn would draw the cb instead of sliding it. So I ended up hitting it real good 80%center/20%top drained the 5 and got out but wouldn’t put money up to make that shot with shape again in probably 3-4 tries. Maybe 1:5. It was bad. I even called “extension” in my head on that one. lol.

Who knew a center ball shot could be so difficult?

And if you still can’t visualize the shot the only other route would’ve been a low outside shot throwing the 5 in from 2and a half diamonds up then going in reverse 8 ft the unnatural way with the cb going slightly left on the way back then around the right corner. It was stupid hard either direction.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Need a diagram...

Generally speaking center ball "stun" shots aren't all that difficult. The added complexity of your tiny shape zone ~5ft away is what made it tough. That probably doesn't need explaining, but you're clearly not applying an accurate difficulty % to your shot selections. ;)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody have one they’ve come across lately?

I came across one of the toughest shots I’ve encountered in a while the other day. And that’s how this thread came to be. Worst part. It was just a center ball shot!

It was a light angle near the rail long shot on the 5. Cb slightly outside of the 5 overlapping some. Only had three choices really. follow it down and bank the 7, safety on the 7, or play about a 5 foot stun off the cut shot into about a 3” box. I opted for the 3rd just to give it a go.

Has anyone tried a long center ball forward slide with a light cut angle? You really gotta stroke that thing to get it rolling! Never knew a stun/slide type shot could be so difficult. The 7 was 5” off the rail and blocked by the 9 to that corner and there was only about a 3x3 box to put the cb into to go to the other corner and not scratch on the 7. Plus that 3” box was 5 ft away. Follow shot only left a bank shot to the side. Draw wouldn’t get me there easy. Inside would’ve worked but if the cb made it to the rail it would’ve over ran into the 7 and/or 9. Outside was no good either. It might’ve scratched to the side or would’ve hit the rail too far back to make the 7 without scratching. Plus with right/left the shot adjustment for throw didn’t help any. Top left was a scratch to the corner and top right was a better chance but hard to judge

Let’s just say the shot looked easy but it was really a doozy. After some thought the only way to shape that 7 was with center ball with just a bit of follow. It was the natural angle. Almost no follow maybe 20%-50% of the tip. To much follow wouldve hit the 7/9. Everything else was somehow blocked. And it had to be hit hard to get there. Center with slight low would’ve been optimal on the shot if it only need to go a short ways. It was a great line that gave the cb 6” leeway by being able to strike the rail. But the kicker was there wasn’t enough angle on the shot. So it had to be hit hard and that in turn would draw the cb instead of sliding it. So I ended up hitting it real good 80%center/20%top drained the 5 and got out but wouldn’t put money up to make that shot with shape again in probably 3-4 tries. Maybe 1:5. It was bad. I even called “extension” in my head on that one. lol.

Who knew a center ball shot could be so difficult?

And if you still can’t visualize the shot the only other route would’ve been a low outside shot throwing the 5 in from 2and a half diamonds up then going in reverse 8 ft the unnatural way with the cb going slightly left on the way back then around the right corner. It was stupid hard either direction.
Any shot shooting perpendicular off the cushion, cue ball frozen or nearly frozen on cushion. These never bothered me before, but now I’m subject to miss a straight in shot in the side or even double hit the cue ball.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Need a diagram...

Generally speaking center ball "stun" shots aren't all that difficult. The added complexity of your tiny shape zone ~5ft away is what made it tough. That probably doesn't need explaining, but you're clearly not applying an accurate difficulty % to your shot selections. ;)
What’s difficult for some is easy for others. I normally can hit a stun/slide shot ok. It was where the 7 had to go that was the problem. The only open pocket for it was the corner on the other side. I had to play the short side to that corner. Too short and the next shot was a scratch in the corner(9 added to this possibility) too long and it would’ve been a scratch or 7 banked cross side because of where the 9 ball was. The 9 was under the 7 but unable to be comboed in. The 7 was maybe 5” out and 7-8”from bottom rail with the 9 under it.

The much easier shot would’ve been safing on the seven or breaking the cluster and working from there but the out was there if shaped right. So Kim already had four games on me in a race to 10 and it was reporting to fargorate. Plus she already won 2 in 8 ball in a race to 10 before that. 1 she won by pocketing the 8. Other I won for her by breaking the 8 and scratching. So she already had six games to 20 and I was getting pissy.😂😂😂 Plus it was good practice, so why not try.

Maybe I’ll add a pic a bit later. Don’t mind the mess.

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Any shot shooting perpendicular off the cushion, cue ball frozen or nearly frozen on cushion. These never bothered me before, but now I’m subject to miss a straight in shot in the side or even double hit the cue ball.
Damn. Is it the fact you are worrying about too much follow/miscue?What about shooting over balls?

Last edited:

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
Quite the ambiguous post.
If you’re gonna spend multiple paragraphs describing a shot… take the time to create one diagram for our edification.

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Quite the ambiguous post.

If you’re gonna spend multiple paragraphs describing a shot… take the time to create one diagram for our edification.
Well, that would require me to give you the shot if you can’t envision it. I’ll leave it for you when we play. J/k but the thread isn’t about showing the shot although I’m maybe posting a picture later. This thread was more about an explanation of the shot. All in all talking about the hard ones. Whether you make it or not is actually irrelevant. Talking about shots you found difficult can help drop you down a notch at times.

This thread was more to access peoples psyches. So that they remind themselves they’re not the best and they still have more practice to do. By looking at my first post, I’m reminded. Still practice to be done.

Last edited:

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
but the thread isn’t about showing the shot although I’m maybe posting a picture later.
I’ll not hold my breath on the picture. Although, that was a crap ton of words to bloviate upon.
So that they remind themselves they’re not the best and they still have more practice to do.
Now this is something I can relate to. Good job outta you fer dat.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I’ll not hold my breath on the picture. Although, that was a crap ton of words to bloviate upon.
100%... I honestly started becoming word blind and stopped really paying attention.
So that they remind themselves they’re not the best and they still have more practice to do.
You really could've just rewritten the above slightly and left it at that...lol. That said, I always tend to forget that some like to post with a 'blog mentality'. Not necessarily in an effort to strike up a conversation, but more so just throw words online as general musings. Nothing wrong with that I suppose. Although there is a dedicated space on AZB for such ramblings. You're not the only member that does so. I'll just keep it in mind when I see you post.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
100%... I honestly started becoming word blind and stopped really paying attention.

You really could've just rewritten the above slightly and left it at that...lol. That said, I always tend to forget that some like to post with a 'blog mentality'. Not necessarily in an effort to strike up a conversation, but more so just throw words online as general musings. Nothing wrong with that I suppose. Although there is a dedicated space on AZB for such ramblings. You're not the only member that does so. I'll just keep it in mind when I see you post.
Occasionally. But also hearing about the rough ones, some can relate to. More or less-“damn, I have the same issue”. It gives players more to think about and/or practice. And some might really have a simple solution for those looking for one. It was more open ended than anything as to where it would go. I did start a musing thread but can’t remember the name of it anymore.

There is also the WWYD option for shots and a diagram. In the case of my first post. The first sentence was going to be. “I still have some practice to do”. Maybe it would’ve made more sense that way. The post was already long and some of it was edited out. In that case would’ve ended something like-“who else still has practice to do”

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member

You really could've just rewritten the above slightly and left it at that...lol.
Dammit I did it again. Didnt I? Trying to work on that one. I’m the guy usually blunt and to the point and just encounter way too many people these days who require an explanation after that. Or get butt hurt.

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Need a diagram...

Now this is something I can relate to. Good job outta you fer dat.
Here is the best I could do. It’s not perfect. But Labeled the scratch box as anywhere the CB would’ve had a good chance of scratching cutting the 7 from. 7 and 9 might have been another inch from the side and were less than 1/2” apart. CB and 5 are almost correct but maybe move the CB a smidge to the left. Top left doesn’t look natural in the picture. When compensating for the throw on the 5 it is pretty close. It’s a really hard one to draw up. Bottom left is left with a little bottom. And as stated previously. I was worried anything with right had a really good chance to overrun the window off the rail.

Be easier on an actual table. But either way it was a rough shot. I somehow got there hitting it really hard. It’s one of those “I know the shot but can’t describe how to hit it” shots. Along the lines of if a player was trying to describe how they hit a ball 5ft away hard and followed an inch. Thatd be about the same as this one descriptionwise for me. It’s more about feel and hard to describe it. It had to be hit hard to get the CB on the correct line to the box but controlled at the same time. 😞 sorry for the crappy draw up. Happy Easter everybody!

Attachments

• IMG_4376.jpeg
    IMG_4376.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited: