Moving: Denton, Texas

aquaurchin99

Let's Make A Deal
Silver Member
I've got several friends that live in Denton. I live in Richardson, go to school at UT Dallas. Really like it around here. Pretty cool to see someone from AZ coming to the area.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several web pages that allow you to see the cost of living difference between two cities. Go to money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living and plug in Chicago and Denton. It's a lot cheaper to live in Texas.

A salary of $78K in Denton is the same as $100k in Chicago, In other words you get over a 20% raise just from moving to Texas.

Groceries: 12% less in Denton
Housing: 40% less in Denton
Utilities: 19% less in Denton
Transportation:19% less in Denton
Health Care: 3%more in Denton

The housing is key. There is a lot of land in Texas and the gov'ment does not try to artificially constrain expansion, so prices are low. People in Texas tend to have newer and larger houses compared to the west coast and NE.

I believe Illinois has a 7% income tax, and it was raised a few years ago. It's zero in Texas.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone mentioned something about gun laws in Texas, which made me think of something about the culture here. Liberal folks around the country have some misunderstandings about Texas. They seem to think we are all walking down the street with 6-shooters strapped to our sides. And we all have gun racks in the back of our pickup trucks. I've lived in Texas 34 years and have never seen a person with a gun unless I was at a gun range or hunting. Of course the law says to carry a gun in public it has to be concealed, but that's my point. And I don't recall seeing a gun-rack since the 1970's.

I was in Las Vegas a few years ago, at the airport going to security. The TSA agent was a black guy. He looked at my drivers licenses and said "from Texas, huh?" Just to make small talk I said "yeah, great place, you should visit some time." He said "Oh, I don't think I'd be welcome in Texas." I was pretty shocked by this response, but being in a security line I was not about to offer my opinions. I let it go and walked on. But it made me wonder if a lot of people think we are all KKK members or something. Crazy.