My 2nd machine

powerpool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a machine that is made out of a Black Decker drill. It has a 40" oak bed. It has a speed control and a foot switch. I used it for doing irish linen wraps. It has a live center on the tailstock. As you can see it is a simple machine. It did what it was made for and had the speed to press the wraps. I never had to replace anything on this simple lathe. I did have to use ear plugs when pressing the wraps as it is a little loud. The linen sat below the lathe on a bracket connected to the table. I also had a spring connected to the bracket to put tension on the thread if I had to stop before I was done with the wrap. If I had to wait on someone or answer the phone.

Attachments

• MVC-043F.JPG
    MVC-043F.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 956
  • MVC-044F.JPG
    MVC-044F.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 850
  • MVC-045F.JPG
    MVC-045F.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 815
  • MVC-046F.JPG
    MVC-046F.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 796

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
my lathe and another little prototype in progress

Just to show off a bit, here is my homebuilt lathe (the larger unit). It's a Gingery lathe, built from aluminum castings using homemade patterns and a homemade furnace. It would be pretty simple to extend to fit a shaft or butt .... maybe someday. For now it is a pretty basic turning lathe.

In the front, on the towel I tossed on the bench to cover the mess, is a prototype 'lathe' that hopefully someday will be used to spin bits of deer antler into cylinders for sale as cue parts. It will have an overhead slotted table with a guide/stops to take the router, which will be slid across manually.

I love to build machines :)

Dave

Attachments

• daves lathe smaller.jpg
    daves lathe smaller.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,084
Last edited: