My 7 year-old beat me !!!!

Lance Link

Banned
Every now and again I play a few games with my 7 year-old son on our home table. He used to use the 'shorty' cue.

When we first started, I would let him hit the object balls directly into the pocket (with no cueball), but the game ball had to be with the cueball (and luck is a HUGE factor for him). Slowly I started having him integrate the cueball into more of his shots (making him shoot two of his object balls with the cueball, then three, etc.). We're now to the point where it's become so easy for him to make balls WITHOUT the CB that he has to use Whitey for EVERY shot.

The most he ever ran was three balls (again, with luck). I never required him to call pockets, just that he had to make a legitimate attempt (and not just 'bang the balls around').

I recently purchased another jump cue, and thought about putting my 'Hoppy McCheapo' jumper on eBay for laughs. Then I figured, "What the heck ?!?" We headed downstairs after dinner, I handed him the old jump cue and said, "Here ya go, boy. Now ya got one that comes apart."

Needless to say, he was estatic...

I rack 8-ball, break, make two stripes, a solid, and the cueball.

"Ball in hand, right, Dad ?" "Yeah."

He gets the cueball and sets up for a dead shot on the 11, centers his milk crate where he wants to stand, climbs up, chalks, strokes, and plays the 11 in the side... like a champ :grin:...
Moves his milk crate to the end of the table, climbs up, chalks, strokes, and the 14 drops... :eek:
15 in the corner... :)
13 in the opposite corner... :confused: (at this point I feel like I've been hustled)...
9 in the corner at the other end of the table... :sorry:
8 in the opposite pocket... :eek:

"Hey, Dad, I'm gettin' pretty good, huh ??"

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

We played four more games (race to 3), and he missed about 6 or 7 shots (some were more difficult than others). He likes playing, even when he loses...

I'm considering getting him a smaller two piece cue (until he can manage a full size cue correctly). Anyone have any ideas where I could find a 'kids size' cue ?

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Every now and again I play a few games with my 7 year-old son on our home table. He used to use the 'shorty' cue.

When we first started, I would let him hit the object balls directly into the pocket (with no cueball), but the game ball had to be with the cueball (and luck is a HUGE factor for him). Slowly I started having him integrate the cueball into more of his shots (making him shoot two of his object balls with the cueball, then three, etc.). We're now to the point where it's become so easy for him to make balls WITHOUT the CB that he has to use Whitey for EVERY shot.

The most he ever ran was three balls (again, with luck). I never required him to call pockets, just that he had to make a legitimate attempt (and not just 'bang the balls around').

I recently purchased another jump cue, and thought about putting my 'Hoppy McCheapo' jumper on eBay for laughs. Then I figured, "What the heck ?!?" We headed downstairs after dinner, I handed him the old jump cue and said, "Here ya go, boy. Now ya got one that comes apart."

Needless to say, he was estatic...

I rack 8-ball, break, make two stripes, a solid, and the cueball.

"Ball in hand, right, Dad ?" "Yeah."

He gets the cueball and sets up for a dead shot on the 11, centers his milk crate where he wants to stand, climbs up, chalks, strokes, and plays the 11 in the side... like a champ :grin:...
Moves his milk crate to the end of the table, climbs up, chalks, strokes, and the 14 drops... :eek:
15 in the corner... :)
13 in the opposite corner... :confused: (at this point I feel like I've been hustled)...
9 in the corner at the other end of the table... :sorry:
8 in the opposite pocket... :eek:

"Hey, Dad, I'm gettin' pretty good, huh ??"

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

We played four more games (race to 3), and he missed about 6 or 7 shots (some were more difficult than others). He likes playing, even when he loses...

I'm considering getting him a smaller two piece cue (until he can manage a full size cue correctly). Anyone have any ideas where I could find a 'kids size' cue ?

Congrats on you teaching your son how to play this great game.

Below are some links to cues you may like in his size range.

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/mcdermott-cues-pool-prodigy-42-inch.html

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/juchk...e|2270837439&gclid=CKTyrt_d-6UCFS9m7AodszmZpg

I hope these links are helpful.

Banks

Banned
The miniature tables come with smaller 2-piece cues (at least mine did when I got it years ago). They were nice and solid for their size and I'm sure you can get them retipped and all that. I'm talking those 3-foot long tables or whatever they are. Good going for your son, too. Now start giving him more allowance than you should (he'll be thrilled) and hustle the excess back.. once he's good enough to hold his own then you can start matching him up! :thumbup:

hitman jones

Registered
Hello

Hello my son is now 8 he started shooting when he was 4 he now has won 6 1st place and alot of 2nd and 3rd place tournaments with all adults he took first place at the jr quilfier in wis check him out on youtube hit jonesandsonpaving all one word he was 7 shooting on the 9 ft table good luck with your little guy keep him going he will be a champ one day