My First 2 Pack - Oh so close!!!!

OriontheHunter

Dreamin' of Pool Cues
Silver Member
Almost set a new personal record for back to back racks of nine ball, however this goal still eludes me. I went to our local pool hall tonight to work on my game. The local pool hall as about fifteen 9ft GC III tables with fairly tight pockets and simonis cloth.

The first rack went fairly well. I broke and pocketed a ball on the break and had good position play throughout the rack. On the second rack, I again had a good break, made a ball and had a decent shot on the 1 ball. I pocketed the next 5 balls and had good position on the six ball. The remaining balls were well positioned for a run out.

Unfortunately, the thoughts of putting back to back racks together for the first time began to enter my mind. I tried to clear my head and got in my stance for the shot on the six. On the final stroke, I hesitated and the six ball rattled in the corner pocket.:eek: :eek: I know I should have stood up, cleared my head and got back into my preshot routine, but needless to say I did not.

Sorry for the long post, I needed to get this off my chest. Any other thoughts on what I should have done differently are welcome.
Thanks.

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
Lol. Keep working on it. You'll get it soon enough. Sometimes the excitement just gets to your head. Not much you can do about that. Soon you'll be running them out with the champs.

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shooting. It sounds like you already know where you went wrong. All I would say is to be sure you are committed to a shot before you pull the trigger. Easier said than done, I know.

Once you get the back to back a couple of times you will likely feel less pressured and you will find it happening a lot more often. Keep it up.

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you did everything right.

I don't think anyone isn't conscious of when they're about to break a record as they're playing (be it multiple racks, a 14.1 high run, 8-and-outs in 1-p). I'm sure a lot of people will tell you not to think about it, etc etc.

To an extent they're right, but we're human and we get excited.

The one thing that helped me before was realizing that it was important, and turning the nervous thoughts ("what if I miss?!") into a killer instinct. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost this in the recent past... but I recall in a 9-ball gambling match that was hill-hill. I was shooting the 4-ball with a wide open table. It was a half ball hit that required a lot of draw, and on a table with tight 4" pockets.

Given that I needed to juice the cue on a tough table, and to bet the set on that one shot, I was nervous. I got down, and wasn't sure I would make it. I stood up. I stepped back. I made sure I aimed and aligned correctly and for some reason my mindset became ultra aggressive. As I went down on the shot I knew it was going in before I stroked it. It's like when Earl hunts down the 9-ball and scares it into the pocket. No second-guesses, no doubts in my mind.

I made it, and I ran out for the set.

Surely the best suggestions are psychological at this point. Your fundamentals are what they are, and they will hopefully improve (I hope mine will, that's for sure!). What I'd suggest trying is turning any anxiety or nervousness into something assertive and aggressive.

Reading your post, it's actually made me realize this is what I've lost over the past 6 months or so. So thanks for the question!

OriontheHunter

Dreamin' of Pool Cues
Silver Member
StevenPWaldon said:
The one thing that helped me before was realizing that it was important, and turning the nervous thoughts ("what if I miss?!") into a killer instinct.

What I'd suggest trying is turning any anxiety or nervousness into something assertive and aggressive.

Excellent suggestion! I think you may be right. I could see the run out in my head before I got down on the six ball. Looking back, I think I started to get nervous by the thoughts of accomplishing something for the first time.

Thanks

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
It sounds like you know what you did wrong. :p Congratulations, and soon you will be running rack after rack any time you want. ;)

mayamon

Struggling pool shark
Silver Member
I agree with the previous posts. Running a rack can sound out of reach or of extreme difficulty when thinking of 8,7, etc balls. But pocketing one ball is simple enough. When i focus on the shot at hand i do much better. Guess it's like the drunks do, take one day at a time, err ball rather... a lot less daunting :)

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
OriontheHunter said:
Sorry for the long post, I needed to get this off my chest. Any other thoughts on what I should have done differently are welcome.
Thanks.

1 rack may be a freak occurence; back to backers and you're definately doing something right! :) Keep up the good work..

Koopa

Ricky
Silver Member
Congrats, I just ran my first 2 pack a few weeks ago and it felt great. Just try to use that nervous energy once you're on the 6-7 of the second rack to concentrate more than usual.