My first attempt at Straight Pool

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
First off let me say I've been wanting to try my hand at straight pool for awhile but just hadn't gotten around to it. I'm mainly an 8 ball player & occasionally 9 ball.

So, I arrived early (as usual) for league last Thursday & was watching 2 guys I know play some straight pool, just to 30 points. A good way to warm up I guess. I was asked if I wanted to play the winner, of course I said yes! I really wasn't sure of all the rules, etc but I thought I'd give it a go.

My opponent broke, left me a shot & I ran the rack, leaving myself a good breakout ball which I managed to miss! I did end up winning that one 30-3. I then played the other guy & won that one 30-20!

I have to say I loved it! Being from a snooker background the idea of breaking balls away from the rack seemed natural to me. I'm really tempted now to devote more time to this game, maybe even see how I can do in the league in my PH!

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
chilli66 said:
First off let me say I've been wanting to try my hand at straight pool for awhile but just hadn't gotten around to it. I'm mainly an 8 ball player & occasionally 9 ball.

So, I arrived early (as usual) for league last Thursday & was watching 2 guys I know play some straight pool, just to 30 points. A good way to warm up I guess. I was asked if I wanted to play the winner, of course I said yes! I really wasn't sure of all the rules, etc but I thought I'd give it a go.

My opponent broke, left me a shot & I ran the rack, leaving myself a good breakout ball which I managed to miss! I did end up winning that one 30-3. I then played the other guy & won that one 30-20!

I have to say I loved it! Being from a snooker background the idea of breaking balls away from the rack seemed natural to me. I'm really tempted now to devote more time to this game, maybe even see how I can do in the league in my PH!

Straight pool is the game's best teacher. You will see that if you have a strong and firm straight pool foundation in your game, that the other games you play will be strengthened by the knowledge and experience that you will attain while playing 14.1.

BTW, this game is highly addictive, moreso than 8 ball or 9 ball. Say goodbye to the wife and kids.
:D

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sp

Hey, maybe you're a natural high-ball runner! Sounds like you're off to a good start. It's funny, I got the pool bug back east and straight pool is very popular back there. Now I live in California and NOBODY plays it here. After reading Blackjacks book I started to incorporate it into my practices. Immediately I found that you get into a rhthym of making balls, of thinking, and of moving around the table. I'm sure my 9ball game is getting better... well, when I get back to playing it again I mean. :D

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats great. Keep playing I know when I play some 14.1 and the play another game 8 or 9 ball I seem to be more consistent and aware of my fundamentals. I think 14.1 will improve you for all disciplines.

Good luck

thyme3421

Playing since 1.1.05..ish
Silver Member
Straight vs. Cut Throat

hahaha... that's great! Congrats on the beginning runs, hopefully more come soon. Your story reminds me of a game I played just recently...

I just came off vacation, went back to where I grew up. Ran into an old friend and his girl at a pool hall and we decided to play some cut-throat (because there were 3 of us.) To even the odds I decided to play left handed until I was down to 1 ball left on the table. I didn't tell them this, just kinda did it on my own.
For whatever reason 4 of my balls went down first. I had been to the table 3 times (left handed mind you..)

Well, when I came back to the table I was already in a 14.1 mind set from playing earlier that day... I saw the run... Ran the 10 balls and moved my 1 remaining into perfect break out position.
Went back to the drinking table and he said "WOW! You've improved a bit.."
My response: Ever heard of straight pool? You should try it

<< high run - 25 >>

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
Thanks for the comments everyone!

I usually play in an 8ball league on Wednesday nights but it's been cancelled this week due to Halloween. I'll still be headed to the PH & if nothing else is going on (friendly games or a small tourney) I think I'll try to get some Straight Pool practice. Since my games last week I've been looking forward to doing it again!

So here's a question. What is the best way to practice? Should I break as if to start a game or by using a breakout ball? Or both? I'm thinking it's better to try both ways but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Whatever happens I won't be happy until I beat my high run from last week! Kind of reminds me of snooker, always looking to beat your personal best!

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
chilli66 said:
So here's a question. What is the best way to practice? Should I break as if to start a game or by using a breakout ball? Or both? I'm thinking it's better to try both ways but I'd like to hear what you guys think.
!

I like to practice by racking 14 balls and setting a breakball and cb into a good breaking position to open the rack, I find its a good way to practice. I saw Blackjack say he likes to just scatter all 15 balls and start anywhere and work down to leaving a breakball, either way is good practice.

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
selftaut said:
I like to practice by racking 14 balls and setting a breakball and cb into a good breaking position to open the rack, I find its a good way to practice. I saw Blackjack say he likes to just scatter all 15 balls and start anywhere and work down to leaving a breakball, either way is good practice.

I thought about just scattering the balls but I don't want to make it too easy. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging by that but whenever I do scatter them they never look random enough! Silly me, I suppose I could just break the rack up & go from there!

Sorry, the idiot side of my brain took over there for a minute!:eek:

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
I like to use the breakball method because it gives me work on getting the cb away from the rack. Whenever I mis (often) I re-rack and start again.

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
Well, I did get a little practice on Wednesday night but couldn't get better than a run of 13 balls. Shot some 8ball later though & it seemed like I couldn't miss! I really can see me getting hooked on 14.1. Maybe I'll put my name in for the league when it starts again.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Chilli,

If your run is 13, that tells me that you are having trouble going from rack to rack. There are certain rules that you must follow if you wish to continue your turn at the table.

The main things that you need to concentrate on in straight pool is...

1) Having a workable break ball
2) Having a good key ball to get on the break ball
3) Eliminating trouble balls and clusters EARLY
4) Carefully planning a successful END SEQUENCE

In the diagrams below, I outline a very basic 14.1 end sequence.

Basic_end_sequence_Start.gif

In this situation, we are down to the final balls in the rack. We have identified our break ball (2 Ball) and our key ball is the 4)

Basic_end_sequence.gif

Basic_end_sequence_result.gif

The result you get is a good, workable break shot, using the 2 ball.

By properly planning the end sequence, you have increased your odds of getting into the next rack, and perhaps another, and then another.

Just follow this rule: Plan and then execute.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Chilli,

If your run is 13, that tells me that you are having trouble going from rack to rack. There are certain rules that you must follow if you wish to continue your turn at the table.

In the diagrams below, I outline a very basic 14.1 end sequence.
Chilli, to give you a little more motivation, Jimmy Caras commented that Willie Mosconi was a middle-of-the-pack player until he mastered the last five balls on the table. Then Willie became more or less unbeatable.

The pattern for the last balls will depend some on what your present skill set is. The pattern that Blackjack shows just above is the way I would play the last four, but it might not be the way that you should play it if your draw is not up to speed.

The critical shot is getting a nearly straight shot on the 14th ball of the rack (the 4 ball). So, one way to do that if you lack reliable draw, is to softly follow when playing the 6 ball, rolling forward just a little beyond the position of the 6 to get a 15-degree or so angle on the five. Another soft follow both brings you forward to get in line for the 4 and brings you off the rail for a stop shot. The hard part about this sequence is the long shot to the far corner on the five ball. The easy part is that you don't need much of a draw stroke.

But if you need to take the "follow option" you need to note that during your next practice session, you need to work on your draw shots. You have to play the game with the skills you have, not the skills you want.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Great post, Bob!

The lesson that should be learned from the situation in my diagrams is that you should not shoot the 4 ball first. Many beginners would do that, then probably go to the 5 or 6. I have seen some that would just eliminate the 2 ball because it was "a shot". It takes years to be able to read some patterns, but when you identify your key balls early it tends to simplify things.

Cisero Murphy would always ask me these questions:

1) Which ball is your break ball?
2) Which ball is going to get you to that break ball?
3) Which ball will get you to that ball?

It's sort of like reading the rack backwards and executing it forwards.

skiflyer

I was just out in new york and killed a couple hours waiting for dinner learning 14.1 which I've never played before either.

I gotta say, it's very addictive and a ton of fun... but it also has really loosened up my stroke for 8 ball, I feel like questionable cuts and banks are solid hangers now, I'm loving it.

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
Blackjack & Bob. Thanks for the comments & advice, it's very much appreciated. I think part of my problem with the break ball is something Blackjack talked about recently, I'm trying to do too much with the CB. I think I'm trying to decimate the rack when I should be content to bring a few balls out.

I have a pretty good draw stroke & a very strong follow stroke, I just need to tone it down a bit! My other problem lately has been my game as a whole has been a little off, very inconsistent. I'm fortunate to be able to spot the errors I'm making before they go too far so I'm not overly worried. Mostly I just need to relax & play my natural game again.

I haven't had much time to practice in the last 2 weeks but I do plan on spending more time with 14.1. It reminds me so much of snooker in some ways & I can see how it'll help in other games. Plus it's damn good fun!

Thanks again for the comments guys. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
Forgot to say rep on the way to Bob. Blackjack, I have to spread some around first in your case but it will be coming!

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
As I read about inconsistencies in play, I couldn't help but comment on how important concentration and focus are in helping to achieve dead stroke. If your mind wanders, (as most all of ours do) it is near impossible to pocket balls with any confidence. Developing dead stroke is very important.

Also, you can't get into that zone unless you have experienced it. Once you do, as you experience it more often, it becomes easier to recognize and reach. (at least for me this is the case)

I don't think there is another game in pool that comes close to allowing you the platform to develop dead stroke the way straight pool does.

IMO, the folks who don't play it are missing the true wonderful depth of pool itself.

dave sutton

Banned
Blackjack said:
Chilli,

another big problem is keeping focus. thats what seperates great players from good players
edit:
well said 3andstop. i titally agree. i didnt see your post before i posted