Need a couple of ideas for short tournament format

Autist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey!

I organise pool tournaments for kids in our local youth centre every friday.

We have got 1 table and usually 12-16 participants. Everyone is 12-18 years old and don't have a lot of experience playing pool. I do give handycaps to some players to make the playing field as equal as possible.

So, with 1 table and 12+ players, playing 8-ball or 9-ball is out of the question, because they are beginners and one game can easily take up to 20 minutes.

So far we have had 3 tournaments.
1) "9 ball" - every ball gives 1 point, 9 gives 2 points. First to 5 points wins. Handycap up to 2 points.

2) "14.1" - break hard and first to 7 balls wins, up to 2 handycap points.

3) "8 ball" - 4 stripes and 4 solid with 8 in the middle, racked as 9-ball. Handycapped player can take one of his balls off the table when he first comes to the table.

Should I just start all over again with the "9 ball" game or can you suggest me anything else?

Even with single elimination, the tournament lasts for about 4 hours or more.

So yeah, any ideas? :D

Lewie

Registered
Subscribed! I'll follow this since I'm planning a friends and family tournament at my house soon ;)

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try playing 4-ball 1on spot 2-3 with 9 back handycap 1ball if it goes fast play 2 race to3 sets.

ignomirello

Tony IGGY
Silver Member
teams?

Hey!

I organise pool tournaments for kids in our local youth centre every friday.

We have got 1 table and usually 12-16 participants. Everyone is 12-18 years old and don't have a lot of experience playing pool. I do give handycaps to some players to make the playing field as equal as possible.

So, with 1 table and 12+ players, playing 8-ball or 9-ball is out of the question, because they are beginners and one game can easily take up to 20 minutes.

So far we have had 3 tournaments.
1) "9 ball" - every ball gives 1 point, 9 gives 2 points. First to 5 points wins. Handycap up to 2 points.

2) "14.1" - break hard and first to 7 balls wins, up to 2 handycap points.

3) "8 ball" - 4 stripes and 4 solid with 8 in the middle, racked as 9-ball. Handycapped player can take one of his balls off the table when he first comes to the table.

Should I just start all over again with the "9 ball" game or can you suggest me anything else?

Even with single elimination, the tournament lasts for about 4 hours or more.

So yeah, any ideas? :D

If you want it to move a little faster maybe form teams?
I always liked team work. Teaches them competition & team work.

Or if you have to many, group them in 3 play cut throat each player gets 5 balls.
1-5, 6-10, & 11-15 Breaker gets 1-5 object is to keep your balls on the table.
You can shoot ANY ball including your own but you must have a ball left on the table to continue shooting.
Last persons ball on table wins.

You can use cut throat in handicapping also the weaker player gets more balls.

I love when kids get involved :) We need to get more kids involved in this sport. GOOD LUCK!

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it is great that you are woking with kids & using pool as a tool.

Maybe you could just use shooting as the competition.
Set up the same shot for everyone to try a set number of times.

SLIM