New York pool player hits it big

JDog_1

Registered
Nick Schulman, an open level player who used to hang with all the big boys at Amsterdam, won a World Poker Tour event at Foxwoods, cashin in over $2.1 million! IPT or not, that beats any pool payday. Haven't seen Nick playing Tri-State for a while, is he in college or just laying low?

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
JDog_1 said:
Nick Schulman, an open level player who used to hang with all the big boys at Amsterdam, won a World Poker Tour event at Foxwoods, cashin in over $2.1 million! IPT or not, that beats any pool payday. Haven't seen Nick playing Tri-State for a while, is he in college or just laying low?

Wow!! Congrats to Nick on the winnings! It would be a shame if Nick gave up pool. He has such unbelievable talent and composure at the table. Maybe Jude or Steve Lipsky can shed some light. Or even sjm?

Barbara

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Congratulations to the guy we always called "Little Nicky" at Amsterdam, even once he grew to about 6'5". I first met Nicky when he was just thirteen, so the nickname was a little more fitting back then.

Glad to see that Nick has found an area in which he is truly excelling. Here's wishing him continued success.

cuechick

Flys In the Kitchen
Silver Member
A NY friend emailed me the link http://www.cardplayer.com/ it is amazing to me. I like SJM have known him since he was shorter than me and now he is almost a foot taller!"The Kid" still lives in NY and has apparently made a ton of money at online poker and this is his first big, live event.
At 21 he is the youngest WPT winner ever. It does make me sad that he does not play pool anymore...he is very talented and I know he Qualifed for the BCA Pro Event two years ago and went hill hill with a big name player (can't remeber who?) his first round. He always seem to have a good head on his shoulders and I hope he still does...maybe he'll come back to pool one day when he makes enough money in poker to retire...maybe when he is 25!;)
20051118_182_07.jpg

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
cuechick said:
I like SJM have known him since he was shorter than me and now he is almost a foot taller!".......he is very talented and I know he Qualifed for the BCA Pro Event two years ago and went hill hill with a big name player (can't remeber who?) his first round.

My best guess is that you're referring to Nick's 11 - 9 loss to Archer in the 2004 BCA Open.

BackPocket9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That 2004 BCA event was the last week that Amsterdam East was open. I remember talking to Nicky at Amsterdam East when he returned from Vegas, and he said, "ya know, I wanted to find out if I really was a good poker player, or whether it was just in my head." I then asked, "so what did you find out?" To which he replied, in his classic semi-sarcastic cockiness, "I found out I'm jam-up!"

deadstroke32

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuechick said:
A NY friend emailed me the link http://www.cardplayer.com/ it is amazing to me. I like SJM have known him since he was shorter than me and now he is almost a foot taller!"The Kid" still lives in NY and has apparently made a ton of money at online poker and this is his first big, live event.
At 21 he is the youngest WPT winner ever. It does make me sad that he does not play pool anymore...he is very talented and I know he Qualifed for the BCA Pro Event two years ago and went hill hill with a big name player (can't remeber who?) his first round. He always seem to have a good head on his shoulders and I hope he still does...maybe he'll come back to pool one day when he makes enough money in poker to retire...maybe when he is 25!;)
20051118_182_07.jpg

I rember nick when he was a little kid playin at ABC east .I played him once in a tri state open event ..played strong .For a kid that came up to my chest at the time..
That's good to hear .There was a time he's was going to be the Ginky..

cuechick

Flys In the Kitchen
Silver Member
I beleive it will be on the Travel Channel in a few months...I will ask my NY pal to let me know & I'll post here if he does.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
BackPocket9Ball said:
and he said, "ya know, I wanted to find out if I really was a good poker player, or whether it was just in my head." I then asked, "so what did you find out?" To which he replied, in his classic semi-sarcastic cockiness, "I found out I'm jam-up!"

LOL!

I've seen Nick around enough to know that ego is not something he is lacking.
I was always wondering if it was a personality characteristic that was pool specific, or if it was an overall part of his personality.

Be interesting to see when it's broadcast if he has any good banter at the poker table.
My guess is that if he has the same cockiness in poker that he has in pool, he might be the heir apparent to Phil Hellmuth's throne.

Can't wait to watch this one